Question about the Yahoo Voom Group - kinda slow sometimes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

deeann

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
CA
Quick question for those who also post to the Yahoo Voom group. Over the weekend I posted something to the Yahoo Voom group and it appeared pretty quickly. Today, it's been over an hour since I posted a message and it still hasn't shown up. Does that just seem to happen sometimes? I've never posted to Yahoo groups before this last weekend so I'm not that familiar with the post lag time there.

On a couple of occasions it took more than 2 hours for my posts to appear. Then again, sometimes it's almost instantaneous. Go figure...

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything on my end.

Wow, it's been about three hours now since I sent my original and a test post and neither have shown up yet.

Could someone who's on the yahoo group do me a favor and sent a quick test post to see if it shows up? If so, there's definitely something wrong on my end.

(edit- I just went ahead and resent it, it might just post twice at some point)

I'm still seeing new messages posted by others on the group web digest okay. I also tried posting to a test group but that isn't showing up either.

I'm going to try sending an email to my Yahoo account to see if that works.

Yowzaa! :eek: Their mail server must get pretty bogged down sometimes!

I'll check again tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!!

The funny thing is that it'll be kinda out of date when it posts (I mention in the message not having an install date yet, but this afternoon I just got one).

Yep, Deeann, have had exactly the same experience1

This past Sat. I ended up with two posts on the same thing. The second one was posted before the first. Now I'll just be more patient and not bother posting a second time.

On the other hand over here the posts seem to appear as fast as I can post. Maybe this is one of the reasons more posts are being done over here. The main reason I still lurk and post on Yahoo/VOOM is Wilt. He has that direct connection to VOOM.

I prefer the way the posts are set up over there. It is very rapid to go through all the posts while over here I have to enter each thread and figure out where I left off.

Question for Sean and Scott--why are the dates unless they are "Yesterday" or "Today" a couple of months in the future?

About to watch HDTV under sunny Seattle skies, Gill

The Yahoo Group is screwed up (and I am not just talking about the VOOM group)

Many messages get on the lists imediately.

Many messages are sent out of order (How many times have you seen someone replying to a message you havent seen yet)

It is not uncommon for messages to be delayed for 2 0 6 hours (and I have had a few which did not show up til 12 hours later!)

SatelliteGuys owns some good mailing list software which offers every feature that YahooGroups does, plus many which are not available via Yahoo and it is much more stable then YahooGroups.

We have made an offer to the owner of the YahooGroup to move over to our server using our mailing list software and our bandwidth and we never heard anything back from them.

Even though the group says it is not associated with VOOM, I have a feeling it is run by VOOM. People like Wilt will only post to that group even though he is a registered member. It is a shame they won't take us up on our offer, we are not seeking anything from it, we just want to help people learn the most they can about Satellite TV.

It is a little (or a lot) funky trying to keep track of messages there 'cause the interface is pretty clumsy and that's a crazy lag time. It's too bad they didn't take you up on your offer, Scott, or maybe even look into something like Usenet (if that particular Yahoo group is actually run by Voom) as an alternative.

No, no need for that, which is why we have this VOOM forum setup. :)

Just help spread the word about SatelliteGuys and they will come. :D

Oh no- I didn't mean Usenet as an alternate to this forum :) I meant as an alternate to the Yahoo group only if Voom is actually driving that one. It's kind of hard to explain, but since company reps (Wilt & dragonlady_mom) are posting, they may need a place that's Voom only.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The Yahoo Group is screwed up (and I am not just talking about the VOOM group)

It is not uncommon for messages to be delayed for 2 0 6 hours (and I have had a few which did not show up til 12 hours later!)

Or I guess sometimes just timing out (sent from a yahoo email address to a yahoo group) luckily this was the dupe.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<VOOM@yahoogroups.com>:
Remote host said: 451 connection to mail server timed out (#4.4.1)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [66.218.67.180] by n16.grp.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05
Apr 2004 22:57:54 -0000
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 22:57:53 -0000
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Stutter problem...Wilt, do you know what causes it?

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if there's a clever way to entice them to come over here.....did ya tell them you have arcade games yet? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)