OTHER Question about using a Directv Satellite Dish with a FTA reciever.

How deep, in the ground, did you dig the hole for the pole?
Here is a frost depth map. You want to dig it as deep or deeper for the frost depth in your area so the pole doesn't shift. Also a good idea to put a rod or bolt through the bottom of your pole so it doesn't turn in the cement during high winds. :)

https://i.stack.imgur.com/NooVP.jpg

Last edited:
How deep, in the ground, did you dig the hole for the pole?
Hi I believe it is below the frostline and I also filled the inside of the pole with cement. It is very solid and I have not yet to adjust anything since. Finding 97w can be challenging and a lot of patience goes along way. Just be sure to bolt everything down tight once you lock on the signal. I get maybe 120 channels on 97w and maybe 6 or so on 125w and I am picking up montana amazingly. Both are Slimlines that I got for free .

The youtube video on this post demonstrating the slimline conversion is spot on . I would do exactly as he does. The slim line will work but a bigger 36" dish no doubt will net you more channels and a stronger signal. But if you want to go cheap thats ok to. Ku is fun but I just picked up an old 48 in round dish im thinking of Trying C band with a scaler have to wait till gets warmer.

The rule of thumb with poles is that they should be concreted in 10% of the length of the pole + 2 feet in the ground. This rule applies to conventional soil. If you're in sand or areas where the frost line goes deep, it needs to be more. Of course if you're going to put a large sail on top of the pole, it may need to be deeper if you're occasionally visited by gales.

Warning... the cheap ones are THIN THIN THIN and easy to flex and bend in shipping and rust quickly. Not worth saving $25 in my opinion. The balance between cost and quality seems to be best balanced with the GEOSATpro 90 and 1.2m dand the included KU LNBF.

Reactions: KE4EST
I agree with Brian. I own several dishes and have owned dozen over the years. The GEOSATpro dishes are the way to go.

you might be able to get "The Word Network" and maybe "Classic Arts Showcase" on 91W on a 90cm dish. You might get intermittent reception of a few other channels on various satellites (LESEA mux on 99W, BBC World Service radio on 55.5W), but nothing reliably. Not worth the money in my opinion, but if you have a chance to try it's fun to do (but a bit frustrating)

Reactions: FTA4PA
What is the most inexpensive 120cm Satellite Dish?
Your best bet for C-Band is to go for a proper sized dish for C-Band. You will just set yourself up for disappointment by trying to do C-Band on an undersized dish. Like others have said it can be done, but you will get a very small handful of channels, and those will come and go, dependent on weather and atmospheric conditions. If you live in an apartment or similar and are not allowed a proper dish.....and....you like to experiment then go for a 4 footer. If you have the room get a proper sized dish for C-Band.

What is the most inexpensive 120cm Satellite Dish?
That depends on how far you're willing to drive. Once you get above 90cm, the shipping cost goes up rapidly as you're over the USPS, UPS and FedEx dimensional limits (Length + Width + Height must be 108" or less).

If you're willing to drive, you may be able to get a proper C-band dish fer cheap (if you grovel properly). This is the approach that I would suggest if you're serious about C-band.

Getting too small a dish will bring you years of disappointment and you can't easily recover original shipping costs when you're selling something used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts