Question about voom satellite

Interesting info, Mike!
Are you saying that the rain fade that some of us experience with VOOM might be caused by low error correction? Could you please elaborate on this?

Ilya said:
Does that mean that E* and V* can potentially serve as a backup for each other, in case things go wrong with one of the satellites?

VOOM could piggy back on Echo-3 if it was willing to give some things up like double powerd TPs, but I don't think E* could piggy back everything on Rain-1.

Rain-1 wasn't designed to run all 32 transponders in "CONUS" at double power at the same time. That would require 64 transponders. Rain-1 has 36 transponers. Since they are only using 26 of them (13 double powered) they have 10 (5 double powered) as spares. E* could use 5 double powered or 10 single powered TPs.

Then there is the question as to would either company be nice enough to let the other company use their satellite. I doubt it.

I guess Rain-1 could run 32 TPs at single power if it wanted to help E*, but that would just give us all lower signal and more rain fade, and would be helping out the competion. Since all the DBS providers have decided not to act a Common Carriers they aren't obligated to make space on their satellites available.

Echostar has spare satellites in orbit, and in theory could move one to cover E3 if needed, it would take a week or so for one to move over after getting authorization from the FCC. E3's heat problems were found of course after it was in orbit. It has also had a few transponders fail, and lately there has been no transmission on T28.

I am sure E* would transmit for VOOM for the right amount of compensation, of course that might include the ability to sell all the "exclusive channels" to Dish customers....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts