Question for Gen 3 HD DVD players

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Ive got a A1 and i was thinking about getting one of the new 3rd gen players but i had a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

1. Will the loading time be faster? Although the A1 is slow the firmware updates have made it more tollerable.

2. Will the players decode TrueHD internally and pass it out of the HDMI to my receiver?

Thanks for your help!

Ive got a A1 and i was thinking about getting one of the new 3rd gen players but i had a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

1. Will the loading time be faster? Although the A1 is slow the firmware updates have made it more tollerable.

2. Will the players decode TrueHD internally and pass it out of the HDMI to my receiver?

Thanks for your help!

I've got a third generation on the way (A35). Should be here today. In answer to your questions, yes they will all decode TrueHD internally and pass it to your receiver. This is a must. The A35 will pas bitstream to the receiver for decoding also. provided the receiver is capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS MAster. As for faster, yes they are faster than the Gen 1 players. Due to the size they are still slower than SD DVD.

S~

I've got a third generation on the way (A35). Should be here today. In answer to your questions, yes they will all decode TrueHD internally and pass it to your receiver. This is a must. The A35 will pas bitstream to the receiver for decoding also. provided the receiver is capable of decoding TrueHD and DTS MAster. As for faster, yes they are faster than the Gen 1 players. Due to the size they are still slower than SD DVD.

S~

Let me know how that A35 works out, I'm thinking about replacing my XA1.

Let me know how that A35 works out, I'm thinking about replacing my XA1.

+1 While I actually haven't been thinking of replacing my XA1, I missed that the A35 could output TrueHD & DTS MA to the receiver for decoding. I thought we had to wait for the Onkyo/Integra models for that. I have several Euro imports that I'd I'd love to hear their DTS MA audio - and now New Line seems to have jumped on the DTS bandwagon.

So Im guessing that the A3 doesnt decode TrueHD and DTS MA internally? I was thinking about getting that one becuase my TV only does 720p so if the only difference between the A3 and the 30 and 35 is that they do 1080p i wasnt going to spend the extra money.

So Im guessing that the A3 doesnt decode TrueHD and DTS MA internally? I was thinking about getting that one becuase my TV only does 720p so if the only difference between the A3 and the 30 and 35 is that they do 1080p i wasnt going to spend the extra money.

All HD DVD standalone players have to decode TrueHD internally to have the HD DVD logo. No HD DVD players so far can decode DTS MA internally; the A35 is the first that can pass it out via compressed bitstream for a receiver certified for DTS MA to decode. :)

Give me an hour and I'll have a review up in the review section. All I can say is WOW! Toshiba got it right.

S~

Ok guys,

It's up. Noticed 8 views before I could post my review :hungry:

S~

Nice review, it sure is a slick looking device! Glad it has 5.1 analog outs as I don't have an HDMI HT receiver yet but the analog outs are fantastic (on my XA1 at least). This one might end up being an early holiday present for myself :D

Okay I have an Integra DTR 7.7 receiver, will i have to get the player with the 5.1 analog outputs in order to hear TrueHD or will i be able to hear it through just hooking up the HDMI? Thanks

BTW the review was sweet, im definately thinking about getting one now!

Okay I have an Integra DTR 7.7 receiver, will i have to get the player with the 5.1 analog outputs in order to hear TrueHD or will i be able to hear it through just hooking up the HDMI? Thanks

BTW the review was sweet, im definately thinking about getting one now!

You're fine. The player will do the decoding of the TrueHD track and send the data to your receiver as PCM. It's all the same.

S~

So then if i dont need the analog outputs, and i dont need 1080p, since my projector only does 720 i might as well go with the A3. Unless there is some other difference with the three players?

So then if i dont need the analog outputs, and i dont need 1080p, since my projector only does 720 i might as well go with the A3. Unless there is some other difference with the three players?

A3 will work fine, A30 adds 1080p support. The A35 adds analog outputs and the ability to send bitstream over HDMI 1.3

S~

Yes, some of us had some anticipation. :p

Do you have an titles (Euro imports) with DTS MA? Would be real interest on your thoughts on the audio. :)

Had to eat dinner with the family. Two of my girls got back from a week at the Jr Leadership Conference in DC.

Unfortunately, I don't have any DTS Euro titles. I'm going to take a look at what's not released yet available for import. Most I just get on BD if I want it.

S~

Had to eat dinner with the family. Two of my girls got back from a week at the Jr Leadership Conference in DC.

Unfortunately, I don't have any DTS Euro titles. I'm going to take a look at what's not released yet available for import. Most I just get on BD if I want it.

S~

Brotherhood of the Wolf (UK) is pretty good, and not too pricey @$30.95 at Xploited Cinema. It's DTS 'core' sounds so good @ 1.5mbps, it's one of the reason I'm itching for a player that can send the DTS MA to my Onkyo for decoding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts