Question for HD Fans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Food Network ("Easy Entertaining") looks like crap right now. Tons of red in the picture.

I can't really see a noticable difference on my RP CRT 52". There isn't any reference material on right now, though.

Rest of the family (3 others) all said something like
Wow best I have ever seen, what did you do?

65" RPTV HD set at 1080i

ESPN2- HD has sucked ass for weeks if not months, I will try and watch a college b-ball game and see if it still blows

9425 - ESPN2 HD- Average
9426 - NFL HD - Below Average
9429 - National Geographic HD - Very Good
9435 - StarzHD - Below Avarage (The worth of all of them)
9461 - HGTV HD - Good
9462 - Food HD - Good

The answer is actually posted publiclly here but I wont say where, again I am trying to guage peoples feelings on the HD quality.

Food and Home are not as good as my Voom tonight but I don't watch them regularly anyway so I don't know if they are different than normal. I have a 65" 1080i and I have had no complaints anyway on PQ and I certainly don't see any thing about food or home that impresses me and I don't have National Geo or Starz and the rest are running 4x3 right now. I will be interested to see what you have for us tomorrow.

I am surprised at the feedback so far, I would think all would be saying bad things. Curious to hear some more feedback on this.

Disclaimer: I know the reason for Scott's question...

Even so, I haven't seen anyone with a setup similar to mine, so I thought I would weigh-in as objectively as I can.

My setup-
104" 16:9 screen (7'7" wide)
DLP projector @720p over component

With such a large picture I really get to see all the mushy aspects of Dish's SD offerings - especially when comparing SkyAngel duplicates against Dish channels (FOX News, Food TV, etc). I would love to see improvements in the SD picture!

Likewise, while the HD picture is amazing at this scale, I also get to see the problems magnified. The typical problems I see are macroblocking and some soft edges.

With that said, here are my results as of 2045 Central:
9425 - ESPN2 HD- SD program, looks nice but it's not HD!
9426 - NFL HD -SD program, looks nice but it's not HD!
9429 - National Geographic HD - Not available in my programming package
9435 - StarzHD - Not available in my programming package
9461 - HGTV HD - Modest improvement; minor blocking on quick screen changes
9462 - Food HD - About the same; noticeable blocking on quick screen changes

Unfortunately with the current programming I cannot evaluate the sports channels and I am limited to the Gold package. Even so, I'm impressed that the two channels I can evaluate look similar or slightly better to what they did a few days ago. I hope Dish gets the hang of this and we see substantial improvements soon.

Cheers,
Red

PS: It is good to measure one's picture in feet rather than inches... Whoever said size does not matter is a fool! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.