Question for HD Fans

Status
Please reply by conversation.

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
Food Network ("Easy Entertaining") looks like crap right now. Tons of red in the picture.

I can't really see a noticable difference on my RP CRT 52". There isn't any reference material on right now, though.

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2003
Rest of the family (3 others) all said something like
Wow best I have ever seen, what did you do?

65" RPTV HD set at 1080i

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
ESPN2- HD has sucked ass for weeks if not months, I will try and watch a college b-ball game and see if it still blows

obermi

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 29, 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
9425 - ESPN2 HD- Average
9426 - NFL HD - Below Average
9429 - National Geographic HD - Very Good
9435 - StarzHD - Below Avarage (The worth of all of them)
9461 - HGTV HD - Good
9462 - Food HD - Good

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The answer is actually posted publiclly here but I wont say where, again I am trying to guage peoples feelings on the HD quality.

langlin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2006
Ozark Mountains
Food and Home are not as good as my Voom tonight but I don't watch them regularly anyway so I don't know if they are different than normal. I have a 65" 1080i and I have had no complaints anyway on PQ and I certainly don't see any thing about food or home that impresses me and I don't have National Geo or Starz and the rest are running 4x3 right now. I will be interested to see what you have for us tomorrow.

cforrest

Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Long Island
I am surprised at the feedback so far, I would think all would be saying bad things. Curious to hear some more feedback on this.

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
Disclaimer: I know the reason for Scott's question...

Even so, I haven't seen anyone with a setup similar to mine, so I thought I would weigh-in as objectively as I can.

My setup-
104" 16:9 screen (7'7" wide)
DLP projector @720p over component

With such a large picture I really get to see all the mushy aspects of Dish's SD offerings - especially when comparing SkyAngel duplicates against Dish channels (FOX News, Food TV, etc). I would love to see improvements in the SD picture!

Likewise, while the HD picture is amazing at this scale, I also get to see the problems magnified. The typical problems I see are macroblocking and some soft edges.

With that said, here are my results as of 2045 Central:
9425 - ESPN2 HD- SD program, looks nice but it's not HD!
9426 - NFL HD -SD program, looks nice but it's not HD!
9429 - National Geographic HD - Not available in my programming package
9435 - StarzHD - Not available in my programming package
9461 - HGTV HD - Modest improvement; minor blocking on quick screen changes
9462 - Food HD - About the same; noticeable blocking on quick screen changes

Unfortunately with the current programming I cannot evaluate the sports channels and I am limited to the Gold package. Even so, I'm impressed that the two channels I can evaluate look similar or slightly better to what they did a few days ago. I hope Dish gets the hang of this and we see substantial improvements soon.

Cheers,
Red

PS: It is good to measure one's picture in feet rather than inches... Whoever said size does not matter is a fool! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)