Question for Installers/AT9 Tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

btalbott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Guys,
I can't find 2" schedule 40 stainless, but I did find some 2" rigid steel conduit (which appears to be heavier). Can I use rigid steel conduit instead of schedule 40 2"?

I spoke with the installer and he doesn't have any 2" schedule 40 either.

Have any of you installers out there used rigid steel conduit over sch 40?

Tks.

Bill

1-1/2 inch nominal steel schedule 40 galvanized rigid conduit with an actual diameter of 1.91 inches will work. It is available at Lowes.

Is this just as good as the sch40 2" stainless?

I know they had this stuff at Home Depot when I went there today as well. So you are saying that 2" will be too big correct? (for rigid steel conduit that is).

Tks.

Bill

2 inches is the correct size. If you need it longer than 10 feet you can find it at a sprinkler supply store. I didnt know you could even get 2" stainless, that sounds very expensive. Galvanised pipe is what is normally used.

johnml said:
2 inches is the correct size. If you need it longer than 10 feet you can find it at a sprinkler supply store. I didnt know you could even get 2" stainless, that sounds very expensive. Galvanised pipe is what is normally used.

Yes, stainless is avaiable from indistrial suppliers. I'd only use it on sea coast.

Aluminum is a good alternative. It's equal or just a little more than galvanized.

Try www.onlinemetals.com

AT-9 Pole Mount

The key wording in this confusion is pipe/conduit vs tubing. Galvinized pipe or rigid conduit is measured by I.D. (inside diameter) 2" pipe is actually 2 3/8" O.D.(outside diameter). 1 1/2 " pipe is 1.9 " O.D. and marginally acceptable. The sleeve has to be overlapped to make it a tight fit. Tubing such as galvinized fence post are measured as O.D. and the correct fit is 50 mm or almost exactly 2.0". Commercial chain-link fence posts can be found as 2.0" O.D. 16 or 17 gauge wall thicknes will give enough support and allow the E-Z alignment bubble level to fit properly.

Doctor j

I just had my dish placed on a 16' x 2" galvinized pipe sch. 40, it worked well, however the installer asked me about it, I told him I asked for 2" OD galv. x 16', he said it looks more like 1 5/8, I said , I know it's not that small ... I already knew it was 1 7/8 , figuring a 1/8 th difference would not be an issue.
He started to set it up and said it was a sloppy fit, but he comes across that alot. (If D* was smart they would make something to fit a standard size.
Anyway he pointed it and I put a few zip screws in it and it is working fine.

Jimbo

One final question. I'm attaching some data for my location. Can someone recommend an OTA antenna? Also, I'm going to be mounting this in the attic. Any suggestions on grounding? Tks again.

Attachments

• Antenna.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 630
  • Antenna2.pdf
    92 KB · Views: 687
  • AntennaMap.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 548
Jimbos said:
I just had my dish placed on a 16' x 2" galvinized pipe sch. 40, it worked well, however the installer asked me about it, I told him I asked for 2" OD galv. x 16', he said it looks more like 1 5/8, I said , I know it's not that small ... I already knew it was 1 7/8 , figuring a 1/8 th difference would not be an issue.
He started to set it up and said it was a sloppy fit, but he comes across that alot. (If D* was smart they would make something to fit a standard size.
Anyway he pointed it and I put a few zip screws in it and it is working fine.

Jimbo

When I had my first AT9 dish installed I had to put a set screw through the mount bracket. When Directv had to replace the first dish ( because the original tech used tie wraps to hold the LNB arm ) the mount sleeve bracket fit like a glove, no set screw needed ???

Just if it hasn't been said plainly yet; you want to use the Sch40 galvanized steel pipe, nothing else. Jimbo pointed it out if I am not mistaken.

This is going to be an experience. I just got off the phone with the installter (he's on the way).

My question to him was if he was going to put concrete in the pole or just in the ground.

His comment "maybe neither I might be able to just drive it into the ground". I don't think this is going to go well.......

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill

WRONG! Send him away ASAP if that is his method. AND as should have been mentioned before, setting the mount pipe correctly is usually best done yourself or at least a few days in advance of the full install.

charper1 said:
WRONG! Send him away ASAP if that is his method. AND as should have been mentioned before, setting the mount pipe correctly is usually best done yourself or at least a few days in advance of the full install.
Yup,
IF he does do the job correctly, he should put concrete in the hole and place the pole
and then add more concrete around the pole.
btw, you should also drill a hole in the bottom of the pole and add a nut and bolt to the pole so that there is no way for the pole to turn as well.

Personally, I would place the pole before hand, that way you know it's done right, unless LOS might be an issue and you need D* to verify for you.

Jimbo

Wow, what a day. I'm getting 2 HR20-700s and one standard box installed. I needed these installers to drop the 4 lines from the SAT into a structured panel in my master br, where I'm going to put the multiiswitch. Also, 3 drops to the master br (2 for sat, 1 for OTA antenna). The other lines are already ran inside the house. Since they didn't have a pole they offered to put in the pole mount for free as long as I paid for the materials (no problem on my end). So we agreed on $150 for the 2 wall fishes. He stated he could have charged me for 2 wall fishes for the 4 lines going into the closet (seems a little excessive to me since its all going down the same hole). You installers out there...is this a fair price?

1. The pole mount was the biggest pain, as they didn't (or at least that's what installer said) tell him it was going to be a pole mount (even though I called the place beforehand). So I went to Home Depot and got a 1-1/2" section of steel rigid conduit. Wow this stuff is heavy and at $38 not too cheap. Now I know why it's measured by inside vs outside diameter. I put some 3/8" lag bolts into the bottom as suggested to stop it from moving. Also put a piece of 6' rebar inside the pole and filled it with cement. If this thing moves, I'll be surprised. They didn't have a level so I got mine and leveled it out. So I did everyhing except dig the hole.
2. They put in the 4 lines by going through my soffit and over to the structured wiring box. What surprised me is they didn't go in as close to the house as possible and went right in the middle of the soffit. Don't think this will make a difference?
3. I'm not thinking this guy has done too many of these installs for the new dish, as he asked me if I knew anyone that had just had one recently installed. He wanted to know how many satellites he should be seeing??
4. They dropped their drill bit down the wall and their drill broke. I let them use mine.
5. Waiting for the pole to set up. I leveled it up ~ 5:30pm. You guys think tomorrow morning at 9am will be enough time to put up the dish?
6. They left around 30 minutes ago and have the following left to do:
a. Wall fish the 3 drops for the master br down to the structured wiring box. They got the other side down the wall in the br, just not inside the wiring box.
b. Put up the ground block for the 4 lines and then connect the satellite up to the ground block.
c. Ground the ground block and dish

So to pole mount, do 1 wall fish and 1/2 of the other wall fish, they were here from 2pm - 8:30. Back tomorrow at 9am.

Wow. I hope tomorrow goes better than today.

Quick questions. I have a pool that has a ground wire for the pumps. Can he tie into this ground or would it be better to run another ground wire and hit the house ground?
This guy says he has a birddog and it won't take long to line up the dish....We'll see.

Tks.

Bill

Last edited:
btalbott said:
Wow, what a day. I'm getting 2 HR20-700s and one standard box installed. I needed these installers to drop the 4 lines from the SAT into a structured panel in my master br, where I'm going to put the multiiswitch. Also, 3 drops to the master br (2 for sat, 1 for OTA antenna). The other lines are already ran inside the house. Since they didn't have a pole they offered to put in the pole mount for free as long as I paid for the materials (no problem on my end). So we agreed on $150 for the 2 wall fishes. He stated he could have charged me for 2 wall fishes for the 4 lines going into the closet (seems a little excessive to me since its all going down the same hole). You installers out there...is this a fair price?

1. The pole mount was the biggest pain, as they didn't (or at least that's what installer said) tell him it was going to be a pole mount (even though I called the place beforehand). So I went to Home Depot and got a 1-1/2" section of steel rigid conduit. Wow this stuff is heavy and at $38 not too cheap. Now I know why it's measured by inside vs outside diameter. I put some 3/8" lag bolts into the bottom as suggested to stop it from moving. Also put a piece of 6' rebar inside the pole and filled it with cement. If this thing moves, I'll be surprised. They didn't have a level so I got mine and leveled it out. So I did everyhing except dig the hole.

2. They put in the 4 lines by going through my soffit and over to the structured wiring box. What surprised me is they didn't go in as close to the house as possible and went right in the middle of the soffit. Don't think this will make a difference?
3. I'm not thinking this guy has done too many of these installs for the new dish, as he asked me if I knew anyone that had just had one recently installed. He wanted to know how many satellites he should be seeing??
4. They dropped their drill bit down the wall and their drill broke. I let them use mine.
5. Waiting for the pole to set up. I leveled it up ~ 5:30pm. You guys think tomorrow morning at 9am will be enough time to put up the dish?
6. They left around 30 minutes ago and have the following left to do:
a. Wall fish the 3 drops for the master br down to the structured wiring box. They got the other side down the wall in the br, just not inside the wiring box.
b. Put up the ground block for the 4 lines and then connect the satellite up to the ground block.
c. Ground the ground block and dish

So to pole mount, do 1 wall fish and 1/2 of the other wall fish, they were here from 2pm - 8:30. Back tomorrow at 9am.

Wow. I hope tomorrow goes better than today.

Quick questions. I have a pool that has a ground wire for the pumps. Can he tie into this ground or would it be better to run another ground wire and hit the house ground?
This guy says he has a birddog and it won't take long to line up the dish....We'll see.

Tks.

Bill
1. I did not tell my installer ahead of time that it was a pole mount, and he didn't have any trouble with it, but then I had the pole already in.
Count on them telling you the pole is to small, (1 1/2) mine was 1 7/8th and they said the mast would not tighted down on it, and it did not ....
I had my guy line it up and shot a few screws into it.
How high of a pole did you go with ?

2. No difference, just a cosmetic thing, depends on you, your the one looking at it, once it's done you won't be scrutinizing it afterwords.... unless they do a sloppy job, but you can stay with them and tell them how you want it done .... or ... you can do it ....

3. all of them. He should know this info. We should'nt have to tell them how to do it. ... or we would do it ourselves, I will set my next AT-9 up myself.

5. Well, they tell you to let it set for 24 hours I think, unless you got the quick dry stuff, you'll have to look at the bag and see what it says.
If you think it's good to go, see if you can move it around (probably not).
It also depends on your weather in your area, is it dry where this stuff is setting up quickly ?
I don't know how high your pole is (mine is 13 ft out of the ground, 3 ft in the ground) How deep did they plant yours ?, below the front line, I hope.

6. Plan on being there for a good part of the day, your the supervisor make sure it's done the way you want, seeing your paying them, but also stay out of thier way at the same time.

7. House ground is the recommended way.

8. If the guy does not have a problem mounting (due to the pole size) it should be a 15-30 minute job to line up the dish, my guy did it in 10 minutes while explaining everything he was doing on the dish to me, he knows I will be doing my next one, I hate to have others do something I can do myself.
btw, my installer said that the highest signal strengh he's had when pointing these dishes is 69-70 , I told him I will not accept a 70 on my sat system.
but he was right, I played with the birdgog myself...
When we got to the receiver installation, my SS was all in the 90's, so don't think the signal is way out of line if he's in the 70's outside.
Make sure he does the fine tuning on the AT-9.

Good luck,

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hr20 700 Dvr At9 Dish Setup I Haven't Seen

disque and direct tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)