Question for those that have Voom w/ Directv (long but please help)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mkwillia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I am very close in pulling the trigger on Voom but until they get ESPNHD, Scifi and more kids programming, I am going to be stuck with both services. For those who have both services please help me out by sharing with me your experiences on the following questions:

Installations:
- With having 2 dishs and an antenna installed for both systems, is it an eye sore on you house

- I have read reports in installations that refer to drilings oof some sort. Can the same multiplexer or switch (stop lauging - I know I am a novice) that is being used for Directv be used for Voom?

- Any problems I may not forsee with the installing VOOM while having Directv?

- My television only has one component input available (bought a tv with a Directv HD reciever imbedded - (BAM) - that me shooting myself in the foot). Any suggestions on component switching mechanisms?

Service:
- I have decided to go with the Va Va Voom package from Voom. Honestly, I am only keeping Directv for ESPNHD, NFLTicket, and Locals. What would be the best suggestion on a package from Directv?

- On the forum, when talking about OTA channels, we are usually talking about OTA HD channels. Does the antenna provided by VOOM also assist in picking up clear pictures on OTA SD channels?

- Any Atlanta (NE - inside the perimeter) issues I need to be concerned with?

Removing Voom (worst case):
- I know that they would get the reciever, but would they also remove the dish and antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or experiences that is shared.

Mike

Well, I do not have DirecTv but I will take a shot at your questions (I have Dish).

I have three dishes on my roof. Not big deal to me but to others it might. Multiplexer for VOOM is different and I would not mix with DirecTv.

You can have both systems. I do not see any problems with that.

You need to buy a a component switch. check www.digitalconnections.com

I guess you are the only one that can answer what you need to keep with D* if you decide to take the VAVA VOOM package.

OTA HD whenever HD is transmitted. SD digital OTA. No analog.

Don't know about Atlanta.

Yes. Everything.

Mike:

If possible I'd recommend mounting the dish to the side of the house rather than by drilling holes through the roof. I don't want the potential for leaks.

If you have one component input available then you can connect the VOOM STB to it, or are you saying that you have one component input total? Then you are looking at a switch.

I am planning on cutting way back on DirecTV so that I won't be getting any movie channels and instead get them through VOOM. I'm holding off as I have a TIVO box and would like to be able to record the movies. VOOM supposedly is going to be supported by TIVO soon and VOOM will also have its own PVR system out later in the year.

For local channels you might not be as bad off as you think with OTA SD analog stations. I get my digital locals through the VOOM box. I found that I could get many additional analog stations by simply connecting up the same OTA antenna to both the VOOM box and to my TV via a standard antenna input. I get about 12 digital locals and about 15 additional analog locals by simply splitting the feed to the two inputs. Over time these analog stations are supposed to be going digital so there won't be any need to keep it connected up this way.

A couple of key stations are keeping from dumping DirecTV entirely. So far FoxNews, TechTV and as you noted ESPN are not available on VOOM. Things change quickly though...

I have both so here's the way I do it. First of all, I was a DirecTV Premier customer, taking everything they had to offer. I cut that back to just Total Choice w/ the High Def package. With Va Va Voom I'm still out about the same monthly with a ton more HDTV. When Voom adds ESPNHD, I'll save another $11/month because I can't see spending that much on just Hdnet/Hdnet Movies.

I use a Pronto remote with everything programmed in. I just touch the logo of the channel I want to watch and the Pronto takes care of everything. I never know or care if I'm watching via DirecTV or via Voom.

As for your antenna issue, only use one. The way I do it is diplex my OTA antenna and the DirecTv signal through a multiswitch. At the TV, I de-diplex and send the satelite signal to the DirecTV STB. I then put a three way splitter on the OTA antenna cable from the diplexer, sending one to the DirecTV STB, one to the Voom STB and one to my Mits. I have three choices from where to watch my OTA locals but it's coming from the same source. I personally get some analog channels via the OTA antenna but the digital ones are superior so I never watch them.

I have my Voom dish mounted on the same pole as my DirecTV dish at the side of my house near the HVAC units, standing only about 5 feet high. They kinda compliment each other as they sit sort of back to back pointing in nearly opposite directions. I had extra RG6 cable at the site where my DirecTv dish is located so the installer did not have to run any additional cabling.

If you cancel, I'd sure think they'd take all their equipment.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sean and Sub,
Thanks for your help. I feel a LOT more optimistic about going forward.

Sub - I will take your advice on the position of the dish. My current dish is on the side and I will suggest that the Voom dish be placed there.

Sean - thanks for providing help to the masses.

I will be pulling the trigger, soon. I will keep the boaerd updated.

Mike

hornmdt said:
If you cancel, I'd sure think they'd take all their equipment.

What if you get an upgraded antenna that they help to cover the cost on but you still have to pay for half of? Do they cut the antenna in half? I'd let them have the VHF elements ...

horn,
I am (for the moment) a Premier class customer of directv. I have decided cut everything down to the total choice plus package (it would be the bare minimum, but life without PBSKids would hurt my baby boy). Also, I will keep my NFLTicket sub.. Hopefully, when Voom implements the mpeg4 technology, i will be able to cut directv down to the NFL Ticket.

Thanks for sharing you experience.

Mike

mkwillia said:
I am very close in pulling the trigger on Voom but until they get ESPNHD, Scifi and more kids programming, I am going to be stuck with both services. For those who have both services please help me out by sharing with me your experiences on the following questions:

Installations:
- With having 2 dishs and an antenna installed for both systems, is it an eye sore on you house

- I have read reports in installations that refer to drilings oof some sort. Can the same multiplexer or switch (stop lauging - I know I am a novice) that is being used for Directv be used for Voom?

- Any problems I may not forsee with the installing VOOM while having Directv?

- My television only has one component input available (bought a tv with a Directv HD reciever imbedded - (BAM) - that me shooting myself in the foot). Any suggestions on component switching mechanisms?

Service:
- I have decided to go with the Va Va Voom package from Voom. Honestly, I am only keeping Directv for ESPNHD, NFLTicket, and Locals. What would be the best suggestion on a package from Directv?

- On the forum, when talking about OTA channels, we are usually talking about OTA HD channels. Does the antenna provided by VOOM also assist in picking up clear pictures on OTA SD channels?

- Any Atlanta (NE - inside the perimeter) issues I need to be concerned with?

Removing Voom (worst case):
- I know that they would get the reciever, but would they also remove the dish and antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or experiences that is shared.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have D* with the HD pack and Total Choice. My committment to TC expired yesterday :D Time to dump it. My NFL Sunday Ticket sub will be automatically renewed.

I have 3 pizza dishes on the front left corner of my home and a 10' big dish in the back yard. To me, they're a thing of beauty (certainly not an eyesore).

The installations can't be combined due to dish orientation. It's best to keep them separate. I wouldn't let them drill into my new roof unless there is absolutely no alternative. Make sure they seal it properly.

I am subscribing to Va Va VOOM (gotta have it all, baby!)

Yes, the VOOM receiver picks up DIGITAL broadcasts from your local channels. This includes SD and HD (if included). The standard stealth antenna is good for about 35 miles.

If you rent and then cancel, I'm sure they'll want it all back.

You'll need a component video switcher. A good quality switch is made by Zektor. It has enough bandwidth to pass all of an HD signal without filtering the fine details.

Have fun and good luck.
Dana

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your responses. I signed up for the Va Va Voom Package today. My install is scheduled for next Thursday (April1 - just my luck) :no .

I will keep everyone involved.

Now for the sales pitch I got from the CSR about ESPN. The guy told me that ESPNHD will be up within a month. I wanted to believe him......until he said the following.... "We will get ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, and ESPNNews HD". All I could say was "Really.....OK". Oh well....I will not spread this propaganda but I thought it was funny.

Thanks again for all of your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)