Question... Now that you have had your Hopper

Howd do I find which model # I have? Unit was just installed 6 days ago, so I have to assume the model # is current.

If you have Hopper 2.0 or Hopper with Sling, it will say so right on the top left front of the unit...
DSC_2630_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Hopper 1 just says Hopper, same place...
DISH_Hopper_2012.jpg

The transfer application only works with the Hopper 2.0 not the original, do you have the correct model?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
Can any one of the Dirt Members verify this? If this is correct, why was I not informed of the choice when ordering the Hopper? I really need this app to share recordings from my iPad. Can it be upgraded to the 2.0 without charge?

Please PM your account number and verify your 4 digit PIN number on your account so I can review the options available to you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Can any one of the Dirt Members verify this? If this is correct, why was I not informed of the choice when ordering the Hopper? I really need this app to share recordings from my iPad. Can it be upgraded to the 2.0 without charge?

I've had a Hopper and three Joeys since they came out. I think the upgraded software is much better than it was at inception. I still get a freeze sometimes and have to rebooot, but over all it's a great system. To papalittle, the option to autotune is still there. I use it. I also think DIsh anywhere works very well on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I have had many issues with it in the past, but not now...most of the time, anyway. Since I switched to T-Mobile, I can watch TV, Live or Recorded while I work out, not on wifi. I had no install issues, nor any service calls. An option I would like is something like "Lookback" or something such, so that if I forget to record something a couple of days ago, I could get it back, somehow. I have heard of this on the local cable provider.

Hey guys...

Since it has been about a year since the Hopper has been out, I was wondering your thoughts on it and would like to get the feedback from our members on how its been and also see what you might like to see in the future.

So if you would be so kind would you please answer the following questions honestly... (And please I wish for people only to answer the questions, I dont want it to turn into a big discussion... I just want your honest thoughts...

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey?
2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)
3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?
4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?

Thanks for your feedback! Please remember this thread is for people with Hoppers/Joey setup to answer the above questions... this is NOT a discussion thread.

1. Auto-Hop, whole home integration, 3 tuners per box
2.Was having huge MOCA issues in the ability with Joey connections constantly dropping out. These have been largely fixed in the latest SW releases. However, still having irritating issues with Dish Anywhere but I think that's due to the crappy app for chrome more than anything. They should also re-write the android app to take advantage of Android's native Holo UI and not just be a iOS rehash
3. No
4. Ability to see all 6 tuners when I press the red button on any remote

I like the Hopper but it lacks a few things that I miss, such as, can not set timer to auto tune instead of recording, Joeys shutting off after 1 to 2 hours of watching, no way of setting software update times and dishanywhere sucks.

Auto tune is still there, just hit "Record Series" and switch the "Type" from "DVR" to "Auto Tune."

As for the Joeys shutting off, can change that by hitting MENU - Settings - Diagnostics - Updates.

Hey guys...

2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)

The biggest issue is the home media streaming.

I save Blue Ray's onto my PC. If I save it to 1080p, the hopper will display it, but it lags occasionally.
I am thus faced with a choice of either down converting the .mpg to 1080i or using my PC to stream it to the TV.

I'm guessing that it is an issue with the Hoppers processor not being stout enough; and haven't had the opportunity to see if it works better
with the Hopper w Sling. Hopper w Sling might do better, since per my understanding it has a beefier processor.

Thoughts?

Today is the one year anniversary of my Hopper/Joey install. Other than a few lost recordings early on, 1 Hopper not recording PTAT once, and an ongoing problem with losing channels on favs lists we're very happy with the system. My only wishes are that E* stop loading these things with apps which are slowing the Hoppers, and allowing inter Hopper scheduling.

I've only had my Hopper for a few weeks but am enjoying the PiP feature. I use the two active buffers to allow ad skipping on (almost) live TV. I had the PiP feature with my old 722 but only having two tuners limited its effectiveness especially while recording. Now with PTAT activated (using the third tuner), I've yet to have a conflict with concurrent TV viewing during recording. Back to back timers always were a problem with the 722 when watching anything other than recorded events.

I have the OTA module for the Hopper but find I rarely need to use it for either viewing or recording with PTAT active.

I love my Hoppers. Off the top of my head, I have but one feature request.

While some are channel surfers, I am a huge search nerd. Every week, I use the search function to find movies in my favorite genres that I'd like to record. So, I'd like the search function to be even more powerful. For instance, I'd be thrilled if I could sort by critical rating or even year of release or MPAA rating. This way, I could find 3+ star comedies from 1990 onward and rated R, if that's my mood, and not have to deal with over a hundred films in the search results on the level of "Baby's Day Out."

Last edited:
I have a 722K running to HDTV's. The bedroom is the second TV a on the second TV. From what I'm reading the best way to go is with the Hopper and one Joey. From what I'm looking at though the price is going to jump up another $17 a month.

Is this the cheapest way to get HD on the second TV?

Are the remote controls the same on the new Hopper and Joey as they are on the 722K? I really haven't found a picture of what the new remote looks like. I've seen some screenshots of what the new Hopper does and it looks a bit different than what's on the 722K. I'm just hope in this systems are similar because of the difficulty it would be trying to train my wife a new system.

I already have the old-style Slingbox that works fine on the 722K. If I upgrade to the new Hopper, will this still work? Or will I have to get a new Slingbox?

We are running into a problem where one of our Joey's changes channels automatically and says "Bedroom 1 has changed the channel because of shared viewing" or something like that. The thing Bedroom 1 is where we are having the problems. When the person in BR1 tries to change his own channel, it changes but then changes back to another channel with that message. Shouldnt Bedroom 1 Joey override when the person in BR1 tries to change the channel?

I looked at the recordings going on and there was 1 recording going on, 1 person watching from the main Hopper that this Joey is connected too (we have 2 Hoppers), and the Bedroom 1 where we were having troubles. It was not recording anything but like I said, when we tried changing channel, it would just change back. Quite frustrating. How do we get rid of this "Shared Viewing" problem?

Thanks

As a new Dish installer I have the hopper with sling and I love it. Some of my customers of the elderly population with smaller TV sets would like to have the guide a little larger ( like on the vip receivers). I think the TV anywhere feature is awesome as well. Today our Caller ID just stopped working for some reason and after a hard reset, still not working. Will troubleshoot it further later.

That is a known issue with the Hopper/Joey, which we are investigating to determine the source of the issue. Thanks.

As a new Dish installer I have the hopper with sling and I love it. Some of my customers of the elderly population with smaller TV sets would like to have the guide a little larger ( like on the vip receivers). I think the TV anywhere feature is awesome as well. Today our Caller ID just stopped working for some reason and after a hard reset, still not working. Will troubleshoot it further later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)