Question of Directv Distant Nets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

minnow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Looking at the address broker for distant qualifications and I read this "Under the Satellite Home Viewers Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) DIRECTV is permitted to transmit up to two analog feeds or one digital (HD) feed of LA or NY TV station network signals “for private home viewing” to “persons who reside in unserved households,” if they live in a market where DIRECTV does not provide local network programming".

Does that mean that if I choose the analog feed that I can get both East and West feeds of the nets and if I choose HD, I need to pick one or the other ?
Thanks again for the help !

Check and see if the word is "OR" or "AND". I have had the waivers for about 9 years and live in an area where reception of OTA is DOA and D* in (1997) did not carry local channels from my assigned DMA. I still get 2 analog feed (NY & LA) and 1 HD feed (LA) of the 4 major networks. They took away the NY HD feeds in Aug 2005.

Looking at the address broker for distant qualifications and I read this "Under the Satellite Home Viewers Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) DIRECTV is permitted to transmit up to two analog feeds or one digital (HD) feed of LA or NY TV station network signals “for private home viewing” to “persons who reside in unserved households,” if they live in a market where DIRECTV does not provide local network programming".

Does that mean that if I choose the analog feed that I can get both East and West feeds of the nets and if I choose HD, I need to pick one or the other ?

Is this you? " to persons who reside in unserved households, if they live in a market where DIRECTV does not provide local network programming"

Pacific and Mountain time zones would get LA DNS HD. Central and Eastern, NY DNS HD

"Unserved household" means your can't get any reception via Antenna, and that D* doesn't provide any locals for your area. You are also required by SHVERA to submit a waiver to the closest affiliates in your area for the networks (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS) for directv to have the rights to deliver the signal to you. D*'s hands are tied as to whether or not you can get them.

Just remember, if D* provides locals, and you don't already have Distant networks, you will never, ever, under any circumstances, heaven, hell, or inbetween, ever see a DNS on your TV even if God Himself commands it. Will Not happen. D* employees do not (even Access Card agents, and their supervisors) have the ability to add the DNS services to your account if you already have locals.

If the D* website says your zip is eligible for DNS, the CSR will double check this on his computer. If you pass, no waivers are necessary.

Yes, you can get east and west SD, and one or the other HD. That's they way it reads and that's how it was explained to me by D*.

In my location I am eligible for HD DNS, but I'm having a hard time getting them activated. Either I can't get thru to the right department (Special Services) or thei computers are down.

What if you cant get your local CW station in HD and they dont provide
Dtv an HD signal..can you get a DNS just for 1 HD station?

If the D* website says your zip is eligible for DNS, the CSR will double check this on his computer. If you pass, no waivers are necessary.
Yes, you can get east and west SD, and one or the other HD. That's they way it reads and that's how it was explained to me by D*.
In my location I am eligible for HD DNS, but I'm having a hard time getting them activated. Either I can't get thru to the right department (Special Services) or thei computers are down.

Just an update to my situation, the department that turns on the HD DNS stations is the "HD DNS Eligibility Department' (no kiddin'!) Once I got thru to them, getting NY HD DNS was no problem. The waivers for this are automatic if the D* website shows you to be eligible.

The asked me if I had an OTA antenna on the house and I said no. They asked if I had any special circumstances keeping me from getting the stations OTA, and I explained it took 2000 feet of feedline to a hilltop antenna to get even one of my locals from almost 100 miles away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.