Question on contract extension with defective receiver replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

whiteyanderson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
Long time member, rare poster, consistent lurker. Quick question.

For the record, we've been with DirecTV for about 7 years as "valued customers". I suppose valued meaning, we have simply always paid on time....

On three, count them THREE separate occassions over the years, I have had to have DirecTV replace defective receivers. Oddly enough, they seem to fail right around the end of our contract term. Except the last one that failed about 1/2 way through the current commitment. Anyway, I have always been perplexed by the fact that having these failed receivers replaced has always resulted in a contract extension of 2 more years. Just thought it was odd and "not right". I mean, why would we be penalized for the equipment, which we pay a montly "lease fee" for? Always seemed like a racket to me.

I consider myself a well educated consumer, I'm techincally adept as well. And while I don't hate DirecTV, I rarely watch it. My wife does though, and I've felt in some ways that for what she watches, I've been hemmed into a constant and endless cycle of receivers eventually crapping out and then me being forced to either replace and renew, or eat a large ETF fee.

However, it has recently come to my attention that I should not have had my contract extended for merely replacing the defective receivers. Is this correct? If so, so much for being well educated I guess, on this one.

I have never once asked for an upgrade or newer model receiver. As a matter of fact, when I have asked what model I might receive out of curiousity, I have always been given the obligatory "we don't know, nor can we guarantee" what model I shall receive line. The last 2 replacements were newer models. Again, didn't ask for a newer model. Was told that the last couple of receivers were discontinued.

So, again, not a bash on DirecTV, I just don't like to be hemmed into a contract so much as I feel we've fulfilled that obligation. But if I have had my contract extended three times when it should not have been, it will be sort of upsetting. As I mentioned, I don't get much use out the system. My wife does, and I like to have options should I ever decide to make a switch. At this rate and the rate of failure on my boxes, I'll be under contract until I die.

Just wanted a bit of input before I call in.

For the record, no out of ordinary use or abuse on the receivers. They're well ventilated and nothing sits atop them, etc. They've just randomly crapped out. Once, the card reader died and we've had 2 others that have had HD failures.

Replacing defective equipment doesn't, or shouldn't, extend or create a commitment. When you call to get something replaced, make sure they don't make that mistake.

raoul5788 said:
Replacing defective equipment doesn't, or shouldn't, extend or create a commitment. When you call to get something replaced, make sure they don't make that mistake.

You are required to sign a new lease agreement now BUT only part 2 of that agreement pertains to a replacement. Just telling you and about the receiver fees and crap. Kinda pointless and a waste of paper. Way to go green Direct!

You are required to sign a new lease agreement now BUT only part 2 of that agreement pertains to a replacement. Just telling you and about the receiver fees and crap. Kinda pointless and a waste of paper. Way to go green Direct!

I'm confused. Replacing a defective receiver DOES require a new 2 year agreement? Or it does not? Problem is, if it DOES NOT, I have agreed to it. Reluctantly, but agreed nonetheless.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Replacing defective equipment does NOT extend or create a commitment of any kind.

I'm calling in. They have extended me three times. I am upset. Doesn't mean I would have left or will leave. But I'm PISSED.

I don't blame you. If you don't get any satisfaction, then you can email the office of the president of Directv through their website.

It don't renew any contracts or anything to that nature. If you have a receive swapped because it's bad techs are now required to have you sign a lease agreement but the 24 month part means nothing. It's Directv's way of making sure you understand what receiver fees are what. Nothing more, nothing less. A waste of paper IMO

Thanks guys. I am now officially OUT of contract, took all of 5 minutes after saying "cancel" at the voice prompt. Retention looked over the account and within 20 seconds said "Yep, you never should have had this commitment extended".

Man, I mean, not sure if it's underhanded or not on their part by extending it, but what if I had lost my job or something? I'm the typed of guy that would have made myself SICK trying to make good on my end.

So, I'm out of contract then, kind of refreshing :). Let that serve as a reminder I guess. If you replace a DEFECTIVE receiver, your commitment should NOT be extended.

Wonder how often this happens? A lot I bet.

There was a long discussion here about this, maybe a year ago. It did happen a lot, but with csrs being better trained, hopefully not so much.

Yeah, well, last defective replacement for me was just in January. Was told by a CSR that I would be charged $199 to replace the defective receiver... I told them if they charged me a penny for their borked receiver, I would cancel and eat the ETF (remember I had been pushed into a 2 year commitment for the LAST defective receiver which was around a year ago). I was transfered to retention and was given the replacement for free, BUT the retention dude told me there was a 2 year extension. So, not sure if this is just standard practice.

MAN, what if I had cancelled and paid the ETF? I'd be screwed. Think they'd give me my money back today since I just snapped to this? And to think, I should have been out of contract for the last FIVE years. Wow.

Mysterious to say the least. Thanks for all your help though. The contract thing for a replacement has been bugging me FOREVER.

Well there is a way for a replacement to cause a 2 year.

If you originally OWNED the defective equipment it will be replaced generally for free with leased equipment that comes with a 2 year agreement.

Only away around that is to have protection plan.

stonecold said:
Well there is a way for a replacement to cause a 2 year.

If you originally OWNED the defective equipment it will be replaced generally for free with leased equipment that comes with a 2 year agreement.

Only away around that is to have protection plan.

Good to know

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)