Question on different PS3 versions

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I'm looking at the different versions of the PS3. The 60GB model, the 80GB model and the new 40GB model. Other than the obvious differences in hard drive space, and PS2 compatibility (60 HW compatability, 80 SW compatability, 40 no compatability) are there any differences in the units? Differences in chipsets, BD capability, etc?

The 40GB is also missing the media adapter slots, only 2 vs. 4 USB ports and no SACD support are a few that come to mind beside what's been mentioned so far.

didnt pay attention that the PS3 has SACD support... guess i have another thing to spend money on now :)

The 60 gig model is the only model with hardware emulation of the PS2. The 80 gig has software emulation and the 40 gig nothing.

Charge a MBA and get a free PS3...

Just ordered a 40GB model. Although we have two 60GB units, we also had a ton of rewards points after charging my wife's tuition the past 15 months to our Sony Card (Visa) - her school didn't take Discover. Anyway, I noticed some of our Sony Rewards points were going to expire and the PS3 was the only purchase that made sense since Sony charges full retail (points) for their regular merchandise, has a limited selection, and some of their product lines aren't up to snuff with our other A/V components (Mitsubishi, Yamaha, Klipsh).

My wife told me to order a PS3 since I paid her tuition and supported her taking a year-long sabbatical.:) I love the PS3, but I am not sure if I am going to make this one a full-time Linux box or give it to a family member.

Just ordered a 40GB model. Although we have two 60GB units, we also had a ton of rewards points after charging my wife's tuition the past 15 months to our Sony Card (Visa) - her school didn't take Discover. Anyway, I noticed some of our Sony Rewards points were going to expire and the PS3 was the only purchase that made sense since Sony charges full retail (points) for their regular merchandise, has a limited selection, and some of their product lines aren't up to snuff with our other A/V components (Mitsubishi, Yamaha, Klipsh).

My wife told me to order a PS3 since I paid her tuition and supported her taking a year-long sabbatical.:) I love the PS3, but I am not sure if I am going to make this one a full-time Linux box or give it to a family member.

You will love it, for movies and games its an awesome system.
Plus the new Dual Shock 3 controller is coming out with the motion sensor and rumble!

You will love it, for movies and games its an awesome system.
Plus the new Dual Shock 3 controller is coming out with the motion sensor and rumble!

About time dual shock 3 is out.. what I am going to do with non dual shocks

Lol Stevelite :)
You can get a Dual Shock 3 from play-asia, but I am waiting for one of my local retailers to get it when it comes in the USA.
People were saying that it was impossible to fit rumble with the SIXAXIS, but Sony proved them wrong, it seems a lot of people are having an experience of a life time with it.
I could see Xbox to adopt the SIXAXIS system for their controllers with the next console they are going to release.

So, given the choice between a 60gb system and an 80gb system which would be the better purchase? I see that the 60gb presently has better backwards compatibility with ps2 games, but are they improving the 80gb in this area?

So, given the choice between a 60gb system and an 80gb system which would be the better purchase? I see that the 60gb presently has better backwards compatibility with ps2 games, but are they improving the 80gb in this area?

If PS2 games are very important to you then the 60GB or 20GB version are the best out there (if you can find one). You can always upgrade the hard drive but you cant add the hardware compatibility to the 80GB model.

Thanks JAG72, found a 60GB to purchase, just wasn't sure how much they've updated PS2 compatibility through software updates on the 80GB.

Thanks JAG72, found a 60GB to purchase, just wasn't sure how much they've updated PS2 compatibility through software updates on the 80GB.

Not a problem. I am not sure how good the 80GB software compatibility is. I just know that if you have the hardware to support the PS2 games it would be the best solution out there. I would hate to buy a game just to find out that they have not written code to support it on the PS3. Now the drawback is I don't think you can find a 60GB PS3 that offers the 5 free Blu-ray moves. This may also be something that intrests you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)