Question on getting HD Locals

david0858

Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Texas
If you have a HD receiver, proper dish and subscribed to your locals, do you get the HD version of your locals too, if your NOT taking one of the HD Packages??

Last edited:
You need to see the sat that has the HD versions, ie: if your HD locals are on 129 and you use 61.5 instead, you will not get them. Also, you need to verify that Dish has your HD locals available.

What I am trying to ask here is will Dish Network LET me see my HD locals if I am subscribed to a SD programming package and to my locals but NOT subscribed to any HD programming. Assume all my equipment is right and pointed to the right sats and my locals are available in SD and HD.

What I am trying to ask here is will Dish Network LET me see my HD locals if I am subscribed to a SD programming package and to my locals but NOT subscribed to any HD programming. Assume all my equipment is right and pointed to the right sats and my locals are available in SD and HD.

The answer is no. You have to be an HD subscriber.

HD locals are a part of the locals package, you do not need HD package to get HD locals.

This was never true. At one point you could pay the HD enabling fee to get them, but that fee has since been removed.

Garys, the way I read the OP is not talking about OTA, rather LIL.

Last edited:
HD locals are a part of the locals package, you do not need HD package to get HD locals.

This is what I was trying to ask.

My 510 DVR is getting old and flaky, so if I get another receiver I might as well get one that will do HD. I'm happy with the family pak with locals I'm getting now, but I would REALLY like to get the HD version of the locals from Dish, as I can only get one channel OTA. I don't want to pay for a higher package and then pay another $10 for the HD pak to go with it.

The answer is (from my experience) is YES. You will receive the HD local channels from Dish Network, NOT OTA, if you:

1) subscribe to your local channels
2) have an HD receiver
3) Your dish antenna is facing the satellite your HD locals are on. Example 129, 61.5, etc.

The answer is (from my experience) is YES. You will receive the HD local channels from Dish Network, NOT OTA, if you:

1) subscribe to your local channels
2) have an HD receiver
3) Your dish antenna is facing the satellite your HD locals are on. Example 129, 61.5, etc.

Looking at lyngsat.com, it looks like the Houston HD locals are on 110, and I have a Dish 500 dish getting 110 and 119, so unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't even have to change my dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts