Question reagrding old system setup for birdview system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

browncow

Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Outer Banks North Carolina
Here is my question i have a 8 ft birview mesh dish with a birdview reciver and a gen instrument video cipher II descrambler model 2100e.
I have not used the sytem in about 8-10 years thought about hooking it back up, so i did, to my surprise it was still tracking satellites but some of the pictures have poor quality . I then tried ajusting the dish which made no difference at all, i know my signals are still strong because when a scrambled signal comes up the de scrm box shows a scambled signal and locks in i can see partial pictures . Do i need to upgrade the system or will this one still work . I got this system origanally back in 1986 so i know it is probably outdated and if so what would be the best route for me to go using the equipment i already have, or do i need a new reciver , de-scrambler , or do i just need a new de-scrambler module ? Thanks for any help you can give me..

Well, you're definitely in the right place!
For subscription channels, you will need a 4DTV receiver - a Motorola (or General Instruments) 922 or 920, or a 905 Side car (to be used with an analog receiver.)
All of these are no longer in production and you will have to find them where ever you can (got mine on eBay.)
SkyVision is also running a package deal on the 410 receivers (including subscription.) You may want to check their website.
For the free channels, you will need an FTA receiver - I currently have a CoolSat 6000 and am still learning how to operate the thing...
You can see the FTA Shack forum on here for more information on all things FTA...

Here are a couple of lists showing the Free To Air DVB signals you might find to use with that Coolsat 6000 or 5000:

Ku and C-band from our own list here on the forum.
-http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

Ku and C-band from Global-CM
-http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html

Ku-only list for first time newbies (very simplified, but sorted by language)
-http://ftalist.com/channels.htm

Here is my question i have a 8 ft birview mesh dish with a birdview reciver and a gen instrument video cipher II descrambler model 2100e.
I have not used the sytem in about 8-10 years thought about hooking it back up, so i did, to my surprise it was still tracking satellites but some of the pictures have poor quality . I then tried ajusting the dish which made no difference at all, i know my signals are still strong because when a scrambled signal comes up the de scrm box shows a scambled signal and locks in i can see partial pictures . Do i need to upgrade the system or will this one still work . I got this system origanally back in 1986 so i know it is probably outdated and if so what would be the best route for me to go using the equipment i already have, or do i need a new reciver , de-scrambler , or do i just need a new de-scrambler module ? Thanks for any help you can give me..

It's going to take some effort to get your system up to speed to work with a 4DTV receiver, which is what you'll need if you want to view what's left of "consumer" c-band subscription programming. If I recall correctly, the original Birdview receivers and DLNA (the white rectangular box in the center of the dish that collects the signal) were proprietary and only worked with each other. There once was an outfit that could modify the Birdview DLNA to function with non-Birdview receivers, but they would likely be out of business by now.

There are a LOT of details you will have to consider. By no means do I want to dissuade you, but if your system is 100% original Birdview, it's going to take some time, money, and education. My experience with the Birdview system only comes from the one used by my parents, which is a solid spun-aluminum type that I upgraded a long time ago. I am not sure how different (if at all) the "mesh" dishes are, other than the physical characteristics of course.

You will want to get a modern LNB to replace the Birdview DLNA. I use a Norsat 8115 on my parents' dish. To attach a new LNB, you will need a feedhorn. Skyvision used to sell a "Birdivew Upgrade Kit" which came with a Pico feedhorn that bolts onto the scaler ring (where the Birdview DLNA attaches). I highly doubt that same Pico feedhorn is available today. In that case, you will need to have a machinist bore out the center of the aluminum scaler ring to make it a bit larger in diameter (so a regular feedhorn throat can fit through).

You have to decide if you want a c-band only, or a c/ku-band system. I am sure everyone on this forum would recommend c/ku-band. I believe what's left of "big dish" consumer programming is found only on c-band. However, if you want to use your dish for MPEG2 FTA reception, having ku ability is greatly advised (more channels to browse). If you go the c/ku route, you will need a ku LNB in addition to the c-band LNB and a dual band feedhorn.

Each LNB requires a coax cable connection....which brings us to the issue of wiring. On my parents' dish, I only have c-band and was able to use the original Birdview wiring (with some slight modifications). The original Birdview wiring included two lines of coax (one for vertical and one for horizontal polarization output from the DLNA). If you're going to invest in a c/ku system, you will need an additional line of wire to power the "servo motor" which is a part of the feedhorn. The servo motor is a device that rotates a probe inside the feedhorn, which alters the polarity of the signal. The original Birdview system did not require a servo motor as both polarities had their own seperate lines running into the receiver. Honestly, the best route for you would be to run an entirely NEW line of cable from the dish to your television and discard the old Birdview wiring. I am sure other Birdview users on this forum would recommend the same.

Finally, you will need to upgrade your actuator. The actuator sends a signal (or pulse) to the receiver indicating what its current position is. This is needed in order to program satellites and track the dish's east/west movement. The original Birdview actuator is not compatible with modern receivers. Skyvision sells a "reed sensor conversion kit." This kit includes the sensor and a magnet wheel which attaches to the worm drive. When the dish moves, the magnet wheel spins and the sensor sends a pulse to the receiver each time it detects a magnet across its surface. You will need either an 8 or a 24-pole magnet wheel depending on the type of motor you are using.

As you can see, there's a lot to consider when it comes up modernizing a Birdview dish to work with today's c/ku-band receivers. They are GREAT dishes, but sadly came with proprietary mechanics. There are a few other Birdview users on this forum who can help in greater detail, provide photographs, discuss other options, and possibly point out places where parts can be ordered from.

Regarding the VCII module....the last consumer analog subscription channels available are supposed to go digital the first of 2009. They "should" be made available to 4DTV users by means of digicipher, which the 4DTV will receive and de-scramble. The era of the Videocipher is pretty much obselete now. That's one issue you shouldn't have to worry about when it comes to upgrades.

Kevin

Last edited:
My first question for you browncow is how deep do you plan to go? Are you just looking for a good signal for general TV viewing, or do you have a serious case of the 'satellite bug'?

-The W5 package would be the easy way to go from the technical side, set the dish on W5 and a new receiver (anyone: will the Birdview DNLA work with the 410 ok?).
-If you get the bug, well, join the club.

Thanks for the replys, if i am going to re-use this old system i would deffinately like to bring it up to speed, so if c-band/ku is the way to go this would be the route i would like to go, obviously, it is not gonna be an easy or inexpesive route but i am sure it can be achieved with the proper guidance and help . There would not happen to be anyone in the outer banks of North Carolina area that could possibly help me get this thing on track in this forum is there ? Just not sure if i can make the changes needed to get it up and running . I used to have a friend that helped me with the system origanally, he was a birdview dealer, but he has since passed away and i do not have a clue about any of this stuff.. So when you start talking servo and polaritys , feedhorns and all the differnt recivers i am at a loss you are speaking in tounges to me . Once again i want to thank all of you for taking time to try and explain what i need to do .:D

OK, that clears up the path a bit. I suppose you will need to see if it still works. If you haven't tried moving it yet, don't. The dishmover should be inspected first. Take the plastic cover off the back of the dish and look close (most of the time dishes like yours are fine since they were working when you quit using it). If you know what you are looking at, great. Check to see if everything is lubricated and evict any critters living in there. We do well here if you have digital photos to show. Check that the wiring is intact.
Probably a good starting point, post again when the inspection is done.

Checked everything and it looks good still, just to give you a heads up i have used it recently as per original post i tracked numerous satelittes and had decent pictures on different sats. wiring looked good i will take some pictures and post them tommorow so you can see what we are up against and then we will go from there also did not see any critters either under the cover or in the feedhorn area . Thanks for this help NOEXE hopefully i will be able to get this unit up and running again ..

Well, time to start working on the the listed upgrades from the other posts.
-feedhorn
-pulse sensor (reed sensor kit)
-4DTV/FTA reciever
Time to call Skyvision...
If they don't have the parts, there are alternatives.

Pictures

Here are those pictures you wanted to see i hope i have gotten what you need to see. As far as the upgrades, any suggestions which way to go, or should i just talk to skyvision about which reciver, feedhorn , and sensor kit will work best for me ?

Attachments

• Camera card 2008-11-12 038.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 038.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 206
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 040.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 040.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 041.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 041.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 042.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 042.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 046.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 046.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 047.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 047.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 048.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 048.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Camera card 2008-11-12 049.jpg
    Camera card 2008-11-12 049.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 193
contacted skyvision they are telling me to go motorolla 410 and make it stationary not what i wanna do . So i am gonna need some help getting this thing in working order hopefully these pictures will help and someone can tell me what needs to be done.

Linuxman saw your pm . Do you still have a new 1 and used 1? Am i reading the post correctly and if i purchase this what else would i need to get for that as you are aware i am going to have to modify my scaler ring to make anything work with the birdview dish.
I know i need a new sensor but will the motor that movesthe dish still work or do i need to get a new mover as well ? The 1 on there now works perfectly? And any recomendations on a 4dtv reciver ? Or any suggestions on which way will be the easiest to get the new lnb's on the scaler?

(Not trying to hijack, but this does pertain)
Linuxman (and others) how much does the scaler opening have to be expanded? I read an earlier post about using a hole saw and a guide to keep it straight...
Is it too much for, say, a cylinder hone?

I see it is used 1 so am i correct that i would need to get c-band lnb and a ku-band lnb as well to mount on that or does it come with those ? Sorry new to this stuff.

It is used, and I'll throw in a used C-Band, and a used Ku band LNB that I know works. They are older, but will work for you to get started. :)

In answer to 14Karat, the hole only needs to be expanded out just a little about .025 all the way around.

I think it was Lone Cloud who used a hole saw, maybe he'll chime in for the hole adventure.

The motor will work fine once you get a magnet wheel and a reed-sensor switch hooked up to it. Your pictures show the old potentiometer which won't work with a 4DTV or the GBox/VBoxes.

great condition

Looks like a well-taken care of Birdview, browncow! (you do know that birdview is the most sought-after of dishes? LOL)
How close are you to Manteo?

About 30 mins or so and just to let you know there are still quite a few of those systems in this area that are no lomger in service the dishes are just sitting in peoples yards collecting bugs and what nots .... Thanks for the info Linuxman will be in touch with you over weekend .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)