High FEC at moderate elev with 6'?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pendragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I'm new to FTA and recently put up a 10' Winegard with a HH motor so our family could experience more foreign language. This has a quad feed so any of the multiple receivers in the house can dial up either polarity for C/Ku. The C-band LNBs are Norsat 8115s. At the same time I also put up a 1.2m GeosatPro for dedicated Ku reception, connected to the same distribution network. We're in Denver and and both see everything from the eastern horizon to 148 with great reception on all, and therein lies my problem.

I am toying with a 6' dish targeted at our most commonly watched C-band satellites. The only one that worries me is 3840 H on Intelsat 9. This gets a lot of activity from us, but is a high rate, 7/8 FEC at 24 degrees elevation, and it competes with 3840 V with the same specs. I only mention the latter because while we get a quality of 75% on a Pansat 9200HD and similar on our DVB World USB receivers, this is somewhat lower than typical for us. After looking at and tweaking the quad feed on a spectrum analyzer, my conclusion is my cross-polarization rejection isn't particularly amazing.

I was wondering what folks are seeing on 6' dishes for this particular transponder. I would likely pick up a dual C-band feed to improve the cross-polarization performance, but losing around 4 dB of CNR to dish size and gaining maybe 1-2 dB more terrestrial noise because of the elevation, I am concerned that receiving this transponder may not be the cakewalk it is on the Winegard. Thanks in advance!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)