Question to D* Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rate the last D* Tech that came to your home/Business

• Absolutley Fabulous

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I was impressed

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Work was done and looked clean

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • The Guy was more boring than a rock. but did ok.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • The work looked like something a 5th grader would do

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I ran him off my property with a shotgun, the idiot.

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zynergi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
NC
I see all day long, threads and comments that this installer sucks and that installer is a moron and forget D* sending someone out to hack up my house, I will do it myself and pay more.

Question is does anyone have anything good to say about D* installers?

I personally have never had an issue with any Directv installer. I don't know if it is because I always watch 100% of what they are doing or I have just been very lucky with my installers.

You usually don't get to hear about the good ones unless you ask specifically.

That being said, good installers seem to be in the minority. I followed a D* H20 installation that involved 13 visits and two separate ground poles installed by the customer over two months. It only takes a couple of screwed up installs to cast a pall on the industry.

My own hand-picked installer used CCS cabling for the portion of the installation that they did.

Another problem is that customers don't like to hear that wall fishes, giant multiswitches, OTA and general future proofing aren't part of the standard "professional installation".

I am an installer and I prefer to be boring to customers. I do my job. It's clean, grounded and it works. I show them how it works than leave. I not there to be friends, or discuss how your tv would look hung on the wall. Pay me and I'll tell you.

The last install was a mover. It was in June and upper 90's and the installer had to work in the attic along with the roof, he was totally soaked when he finished. He put the dish and ran all the cables, including some wall runs without any problems and no extra charges.

With that said, this was the 2nd attempt at the move. The 1st time it was a morning install and when he didn't show up in the appointed window I called to find out what was happening. Was told that one installer had a truck problem but they would be out in 2 hours. Three hours later another call and told they were running late, it would be another two hours. I said never mind and cancel the install. Called the movers number and reschedule, I saw the work order for the 2nd attempt and there was a big DO NOT CANCEL using red ink stamped on it.

Prior to that I had a AT-9 install/upgrade being done back in Chicago when they lit up the MPEG4 HD locals. When I set this up I specifically said I needed a pole mount and a WB68, no problems I was told. OK, day before install I get a call, need to reschedule, they ran out of AT-9's, reschedule. Again day before install got the call again, no AT-9's, reschedule. The 3rd attempt they finally made it, no pole and no mention of a switch. I said OK, go with the roof mount, I just wanted to get it over with. When done I asked where the two extra support arms were, oh we don't need to install them. Of course after the 1st big wind there was another truck roll out to realign and install the extra support arms.

No problems here either; I make it a point o know whats coming before they ever roll and make it a point to talk to them before they ever unload the first tool.

Question: It it standard to run the cable in the gutter from the dish to where the house access is and then straight down? some people have told me that shoudn't have been done but, I never thought twice about it since I moved into my home.

My last two or three tech visits have been VERY positive. The last one was the best of all so far...hard to top. He was polite, didn't seem bothered by my asking questions and watching him work (even up on the roof). I was careful to stay out of his way, but it was fast and efficient. He told me he was actually an installation manager/supervisor and he was out in the field because they had so many new installs for that day/week that he thought he would help out to make sure others weren't inconvenienced further along in the day. Was talking to him about my new (at the time, not yet mounted) antenna and he offered to come back by on the weekend and install it for me for $50. I ended up not needing him, but it was nice to offer.

He took his boots off at the front door each time he came in. Asked if I needed any help navigating the system, but since this was just an upgrade to the 5LNB and a new DVR to add to the one I already had, I told him I thought I could manage. Offered him something to drink, he declined. Offered a tip for the good work, he declined.

When he left I went back behind and could not find a single fault with any of his work...cable runs were perfect and out of sight...he actually fixed the previous (Dish Network) cable runs and made it all look better. And I have never had a single twitch in my signal reception...my OTA is a different story. But overall very impressed with his work.

And I agree 100% that unless there's a problem, you rarely good the good comments about installs. And we should all be ashamed for that!! ;)

The first tech I had did an alright job albeit he arrived about 2 after the install window was past. He installed the dish on the side of the house. I asked him if the trees were in the way and he told me I had plenty of sight. This was March of 2007. About late April/early May of 2007 I lost the 119 sat. There's not a whole lot on that sat except ESPN2HD and HDNet that I get so I just didn't bother with it right away. The truth is I didn't want to blow a whole day off work for 2 channels. Then in September with college football, I wanted my ESPN2HD back so I called to get a service call. The second tech came out and told me the first install was too low and the trees were blocking the sight to the 119. He moved the dish to the roof and I haven't had a problem since. The second tech couldn't believe where the first tech had installed the dish.

I am an installer and I prefer to be boring to customers. I do my job. It's clean, grounded and it works. I show them how it works than leave. I not there to be friends, or discuss how your tv would look hung on the wall. Pay me and I'll tell you.
I agree to a point, but when your in a business that deals with people, some could make an atempt to be a little social. IMO your Tip is based on workmanship,and being informative. Rocks aren't informative !Someone thats not social often makes the customer bitter towards installers, that sometimes results less tip or no tip.! You don't have to spark up a conversation, but you don't have to be rude either. You chose this business, not the customer.

I have been with D* since 02. We have moved 4 times since then, upgraded dishes and service etc.

My overall experience has been great. There are a few things I hate during installs. It is a tough job, I get it, but sometimes I get the ole "sigh" or "this is really going to be a pain" etc. Sometimes I am made to feel bad for the guy not being able to just throw a cable and be done. I do not like being told different stories either. If you tell me its (x) amount per foot for trenching, the next guy should say the same. I have zero problems paying for work but I do not like the varrying $ amounts I hear from different installers for the SAME install....

As with anything else it is incredible how much variation between installers there is. Some truely go the extra mile. You can tell when they do the wiring, cleaning up the runs, tacking things down. Some just drape, staple and bolt..

Its a crap shoot but like I said, overall, pretty pleased..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)