QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Obviously, there are a lot of these so-called "bugs." Is the Hopper.Joey really worth it? Thinking of switching from D* to save some money and get latest equipment, but is it really worth the aggravation with such buggy hardware?
They all have bugs, some are worse than others...the Hopper Joey system is pretty good and will get better.

Obviously, there are a lot of these so-called "bugs." Is the Hopper.Joey really worth it? Thinking of switching from D* to save some money and get latest equipment, but is it really worth the aggravation with such buggy hardware?[/QUOTE
I switched from D* after nine years and outside of being unable to get my local MLB games for the first month (was a local issue) and a couple of nights where PTAT didn't work, I have been happy. They resolved my issues so I am satisfied. The picture is almost a good as Directs and I am saving about 600 the first year without losing any programing. With that said, if you are not in your local RSN area and sports are important to you, Direct is a hands down leader and you would probably prefer their service but if your like me and in your teams area our sports its of no importance, then I would strongly recommend Dish. Their new Hopper is a nice box. We have one Hopper and one Joey for our two TV household. I like the small Joey for the bedroom and since the HDD is in the Hopper the joey makes no noise. In our house a good percentage of our viewing is on prime time networks so this works very well for us. Love the speed of the box compared to what I had with Direct and the ability to save programs to an EHD and have the ability to transfer them to a new box should the need arise. The interface took a little getting use to but now that I've been using it for a few weeks now I am totally use to it and have no problem with it. There are plus and minus with both system and for me it came dow to cost. I have no regrets.

I checked a couple of recordings. One had 2 min and the other 4 min left. I had tried different padding, so that may be the reason. Do you have it set to end 3 min late? I can see it on live tv. It happens at the end of the show. I see it every night on TBS on the Big Bang Theory, they show several shows back to back and its on all of them at the same time left in the show . Have you seen this on live tv? I think it happens on all shows when they end, but you have to be watching for it. It happens for only 1 or 2 seconds, so if you are not watching for it you wouldn't notice it. I didn't think anything about it the first time I saw it, then it happened again at the same time on the next show.
Live TV? what is live tv? :D lol, jk i haven't seen any blips on live tv that i can recall. i watch 99% of my tv from my dvr so i don't see many live shows. i will try and watch something live and see if it happens then too.

Steff3, thanks; very thoughtful answer. Sports are important to me, but not enough to spend $500 for NFL-ST or MLBEI. Would like OTA capability with the Hopper, though, so will probably wait awhile -- as my D* bill goes up, and up, sigh.

I've got a couple of bugs to report. First, when all the tuners are recording on the Hopper and I've finished watching something else previously recorded, it won't let me delete that recording. It keeps showing that recording with a play icon. Second, I've noticed that just within the last day or so, now PTAT recordings seem to stop automatically when reaching the end instead of continuing on into the next program. I really liked that the PTAT recordings bled into the next show so that the endings aren't cut off by stopping.

Have noticed last 2 days instead of one tuner saying (program name) recording or program name watching and recording the tuner just says about to record (something like that) and doesnt ever change off of that

I've got a couple of bugs to report. First, when all the tuners are recording on the Hopper and I've finished watching something else previously recorded, it won't let me delete that recording. It keeps showing that recording with a play icon. Second, I've noticed that just within the last day or so, now PTAT recordings seem to stop automatically when reaching the end instead of continuing on into the next program. I really liked that the PTAT recordings bled into the next show so that the endings aren't cut off by stopping.

Apparently, my second issue appear to be because PTAT stopped working. I have it enabled, but it hasn't kicked off the last few days. I didn't really notice as I have timers set for the shows I care about and those were the ones that were stopping abruptly. What should we do to get PTAT working again?

... when all the tuners are recording on the Hopper and I've finished watching something else previously recorded, it won't let me delete that recording. It keeps showing that recording with a play icon.
Normally when a DVR playback ends, the receiver switches back to the last live channel watched. However with three recordings in progress that can't happen. With nothing to switch to, the playback never really ends. I have a similar thing happen when I turn the receiver on with all timers in use. In this case, it goes to the viewing status page instead of live TV. So there is logic to deal with an all tuners busy condition that could also be applied to reaching the end of a DVR playback.

As a work around, go to the viewing status page (red button with no menus active) and select any of the programs currently recording, then you can delete the DVR program you just finished watching from the DVR menu.

I am still having an issue with shows not going into the folders I designate them to for ptat. Other then that things are working good.

Some items I'm seeing on my Joey on S209/S260 (I think that's the corresponding Joey Rev).

1. There used to be a tile for "Updates", which allowed you to change the inactivity timeout from the default 2 hours to other values. This tile is gone.

2. After upgrade, DVR recording settings had to be set back to my preferences. On a side note, can anyone tell me why the default view of DVR recordings is "By DVR Date" instead of an A-Z listing?

3. Where's the option to "Record Series" in PTAT? I'm not seeing it on the Joey's (which are used much more than Hopper). Is this an option only on Hopper?

4. I'm seeing a lot of stuttering on the Joey's on DVR playback that I was not seeing prior to the newer software.

Not related to this release, been a problem since day 1:
IMO, Joey's should be able to transfer recordings as well as the Hopper. This is supposed to function as one "big honkin' DVR" for a hopper and associated Joey's and with this being limited I think it kind of defeats the purpose.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Some items I'm seeing on my Joey on S209/S260 (I think that's the corresponding Joey Rev).

1. There used to be a tile for "Updates", which allowed you to change the inactivity timeout from the default 2 hours to other values. This tile is gone.
It's there. menu - settings - diagnostics - UPDATES
2. After upgrade, DVR recording settings had to be set back to my preferences. On a side note, can anyone tell me why the default view of DVR recordings is "By DVR Date" instead of an A-Z listing?

3. Where's the option to "Record Series" in PTAT? I'm not seeing it on the Joey's (which are used much more than Hopper). Is this an option only on Hopper?
Highlite the show press select and the option to save series is there.
4. I'm seeing a lot of stuttering on the Joey's on DVR playback that I was not seeing prior to the newer software.

IMO, Joey's should be able to transfer recordings as well as the Hopper. This is supposed to function as one "big honkin' DVR" for a hopper and associated Joey's and with this being limited I think it kind of defeats the purpose.

John Kotches said:

For 2. : I actually prefer it that way as the default. I like seeing what has just been recorded first so maybe what is needed is a user editable setting to determine default view.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Don't know if anyone else has posted about this, but one of my Hoppers keeps telling me that my other DLNA devices are deleting my timers. Most (if not all) were actually deleted by a Joey, however it will say that the timer was deleted by my NAS or my Windows 7 PC when in fact it was deleted by the linked Joey. Weird bug that should be fixed.

I am having one issue and I have one question

The problem I am having since day one is that after a few days a few of my local channels disapper from my custom (Fox and CW) list on my guide going into the custom guide list and adding them back the and saving the list make no difference the only way I can fix it is to do a factory default and reset. I just did the facrory reset before the latest firware update so if it going to happen again it should happen in a few days I will keep everyone informed just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else is having this issue

The question I have is on the tv connected to the hopper on the dvr recording screen all the tv eposoides I have on a particular program show up as grouped together but on the joey all the shows all the programs indviually and not grouped like on the hopper is there a setting I need to change or this a bug any help would be appreciated.

Just underlining what other have already said...I've only had my 1H/2J setup one day, so I'm still figuring it out. Anyways, it would be nice to copy favorite settings between devices since we have no need for different lists in our house. Secondly, I've also noticed that even though the Hopper is the only unit in use, the 2nd timer is being used, like for PIP, but I don't have PIP enabled. I don't know if this will cause conflict with timers yet or not. If I go turn on both joeys, they seem to override this and I can watch 3 things at once, so maybe it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't interfere with timers.

snijjar said:
I am having one issue and I have one question

The problem I am having since day one is that after a few days a few of my local channels disapper from my custom (Fox and CW) list on my guide going into the custom guide list and adding them back the and saving the list make no difference the only way I can fix it is to do a factory default and reset. I just did the facrory reset before the latest firware update so if it going to happen again it should happen in a few days I will keep everyone informed just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else is having this issue

The question I have is on the tv connected to the hopper on the dvr recording screen all the tv eposoides I have on a particular program show up as grouped together but on the joey all the shows all the programs indviually and not grouped like on the hopper is there a setting I need to change or this a bug any help would be appreciated.

Many of us have the same fav list issues still in 209. There are a couple of easier workarounds. First, when adding locals, always add a few other channels at the same time, and your changes will stick for a few days at least. Second is to backup your setting to your remote and restore when your channels disappear again.

Please report it to DIRT so Dish realizes this is a serious issue.

I have a big issue... My setup consists of 2 Hopper and 3 Joeys. (2 Joeys on one Hopper and 1 Joey on the other Hopper) -- One of my Hoppers continually (and predictably) drops off the network (MoCa) AND USB Dish-Netgear WiFi adapter *every* Sunday morning. (i haven't locked down the time yet.) Symptoms? The Joey comes up with "Searching for R12-3456-67890-12 (not the real #)". I can watch TV at the Hopper and nothing seems to be amiss, but when I look at the indicator lights on the Netgear Dish USB WiFi adapter I see the yellow light blink once, then the blue light blink once, then repeat -- forever. Also, if i go into Network->Broadband on the Hopper I do NOT see the Joey on line that is supposed to be hooked up to that Hopper. Truthfully I am not sure the *time* on Sunday morning that this happens. Sometime between midnight and 7:30am.

Troubleshooting? Since I have another Hopper and can try to link to that one instead, I go to the Joey and tell it to link to the 2nd Hopper -- which works -- so I am assuming the Joey is fine, since it can SEE (on the MoCa network) the 2nd Hopper, but it just cannot see the Hopper that is having the issues over the MoCa network from ANY hopper.

A few other things: I do not know -- off the top of my head -- what the software version(s) is/are. As soon as i get home I will check. A reboot of the Hopper immediately fixes this issue. This sounds suspiciously like the old issue with VIP 622 -- YEARS ago -- where the 622 would fall off the PowerLine network after its' software update at 3am...because the reset after the update did not restart the networking portion of the software -- or so several Dish agents told me. I don't remember which version that was, but it plagued me for weeks until they issued me a new box.

I am new-ish to the boards -- just got my Dish setup on Apr 13th, so I am not sure what it means to "report it to DIRT" -- which I see in many posts ... and honestly *I* knew more about the Hoppers than the installers did when they came out to install my system...so I am not sure what to do next. Not trusting the installers Dish has sent out so far. One bungled install (hooked it up using horrible connectors and/or bad wiring runs) and the 2nd installer basically fixed wiring but had no troubleshooting information for the hoppers themselves.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
DIRT stands for Dish Internet Response Team, and they are CSRs par excellence! Their names appear in RED and they can be PM'd by clicking on that red name. Don't post personally identifiable information, phone or receiver numbers, directly on this board. Only send those via PM to a DIRT member.

Anyone have issues whereby when you are watching LIVE TV both Joeys AND Hoppers stutter about 2 to 3 seconds from the end of a show (i am assuming the system is "stopping" the buffer and restarting a new one)

Jann

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts