Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
Ok, it's been a while since I have posted any questions on here, but I have one now. My present fta setup includes a 36" Fortec dish/QPH-031 lnb with a STAB HH100 motor, and a CaptiveWorks cw600 standard receiver (w/ no blind scan), and a fixed elliptical dish ( Starband )/sadoun universal lnb pointed at Galaxy 12/18 (formerly 10R) 123w. I saw that there are some more interesting channels on Galaxy 14 125w, and I would like to get them. Can I position my fixed dish in such a way as to get both sats? The reason I ask is because I remember how much of a pain it was to get G10R locked in. I don't have any more linear lnb's to add to it. The dish is receiving a good signal now, and I hesitate to move it. I am presently not getting any quality on G14 125w after manually inserting the transponders and symbol rates from lyngsat....I was hoping I would. Any ideas? Should I just break down and buy another lnb to add to it? I do have another Primestar dish with its original lnb attached, but I really am not in the mood for the hassle of mounting another dish.....besides, the wife wouldn't let me. Oh, by the way, my motorized setup is working good....just can't get anything beyond 119w due to where the dish is mounted. If you'll notice my avatar, the dish is pointed roughly at 72w. When it turns west for the western sats, the soffit overhanging the dish blocks the signal.

Ok, it's been a while since I have posted any questions on here, but I have one now. My present fta setup includes a 36" Fortec dish/QPH-031 lnb with a STAB HH100 motor, and a CaptiveWorks cw600 standard receiver (w/ no blind scan), and a fixed elliptical dish ( Starband )/sadoun universal lnb pointed at Galaxy 12/18 (formerly 10R) 123w. I saw that there are some more interesting channels on Galaxy 14 125w, and I would like to get them. Can I position my fixed dish in such a way as to get both sats? The reason I ask is because I remember how much of a pain it was to get G10R locked in. I don't have any more linear lnb's to add to it. The dish is receiving a good signal now, and I hesitate to move it. I am presently not getting any quality on G14 125w after manually inserting the transponders and symbol rates from lyngsat....I was hoping I would. Any ideas? Should I just break down and buy another lnb to add to it? I do have another Primestar dish with its original lnb attached, but I really am not in the mood for the hassle of mounting another dish.....besides, the wife wouldn't let me. Oh, by the way, my motorized setup is working good....just can't get anything beyond 119w due to where the dish is mounted. If you'll notice my avatar, the dish is pointed roughly at 72w. When it turns west for the western sats, the soffit overhanging the dish blocks the signal.
Galaxy 14 is C-band, and your equipment is Ku band. Your dishes are too small for most of what is on C-band, even if you had a C-band LNB{F} .

Galaxy 14 is C-band, and your equipment is Ku band. Your dishes are too small for most of what is on C-band, even if you had a C-band LNB{F} .

I'm well aware that I can't receive C band....I've been in this hobby now for almost 4 years. I meant AMC 21 which is also located at 125w. I never have been able to remember all the different sat names.....from now on, I'll just state the sat angle to eliminate confusion.

Well, if I understand your question, you want 123° and 125° Ku, on your StarBand dish.
I don't think that's going to happen.
The satellites are too close to each other, for that size (focal length) dish.

edit: just to be sure, what is the size and focal length of that dish...?
There's a big discussion of this matter buried in one of the old AMC21 threads.
... Start about here, and read forward the next couple of pages.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that I can't receive C band....I've been in this hobby now for almost 4 years. I meant AMC 21 which is also located at 125w. I never have been able to remember all the different sat names.....from now on, I'll just state the sat angle to eliminate confusion.

I think you've demonstrated why it's a good idea to remember the names, because there are often more than one sats at the same longitude.

Although I guess that referring to them by longitude is better than what the 4DTV people do, ie give them names that only 4DTV people can understand, typically names for sats that haven't been around for a while, and in some cases names for other sats that are at different locations from the ones they're referring to.

Well, if I understand your question, you want 123° and 125° Ku, on your StarBand dish.
I don't think that's going to happen.
The satellites are too close to each other, for that size (focal length) dish.

edit: just to be sure, what is the size and focal length of that dish...?
There's a big discussion of this matter buried in one of the old AMC21 threads.
... Start about here, and read forward the next couple of pages.

The dish measures 35 3/4" across w/ focal point about 18 3/4". Thanks for posting the AMC21 thread. If nothing else, I now can type the "°" sign. That thread is a tad too long for me to read it all! Thanks for the info.

The dish measures 35 3/4" across w/ focal point about 18 3/4".
Thanks for posting the AMC21 thread.
That thread is a tad too long for me to read it all!
Right, it's long.
But, if you'll start where my link points, and skim forward looking at my posts for just the next two pages, you'll see why it takes a large dish, and small LNB to get close enough to do 2° spacing.

Your dish is what I expected, and it won't do the job, even with the tiny Bullet LNBf's from SatelliteAV.

Right, it's long.
But, if you'll start where my link points, and skim forward looking at my posts for just the next two pages, you'll see why it takes a large dish, and small LNB to get close enough to do 2° spacing.

Your dish is what I expected, and it won't do the job, even with the tiny Bullet LNBf's from SatelliteAV.

I think I'll just turn it to 125W.....nothing of real interest to me on 123W except for the Daystar channel, but I get that one on 97W anyway. Thanks for your input.

Are you going for the PBS channels on 125W? A lot of them have AC3 audio so you will need to be equipped to decode it.

Also, LPB is DVB-S2, that signal seems to be tough for some to get, but the other tps are strong and steady for me.

Great spot for a fixed dish if you like PBS. :)

Are you going for the PBS channels on 125W? A lot of them have AC3 audio so you will need to be equipped to decode it.

Also, LPB is DVB-S2, that signal seems to be tough for some to get, but the other tps are strong and steady for me.

Great spot for a fixed dish if you like PBS. :)

Thanks for the info....PBS is what I am most interested in. Are any of them available without AC3? I just got a Coolsat 5000 Platinum and I know it doesn't get DVB-S2 signals. I still haven't gotten to the dish to turn it yet......too busy playing with the Coolsat. It is worlds different than my CaptiveWorks.....much more difficult to get set up. I'm figuring it out though.

Thanks for the info....PBS is what I am most interested in. Are any of them available without AC3? I just got a Coolsat 5000 Platinum and I know it doesn't get DVB-S2 signals. I still haven't gotten to the dish to turn it yet......too busy playing with the Coolsat. It is worlds different than my CaptiveWorks.....much more difficult to get set up. I'm figuring it out though.

Look at the Audio Pids column here, it will show you which channels are AC3 or not:

SatelliteGuys.US - 125.0°W AMC 21 Ku

I have 2 CS6000s and I think the 5000 is very similar, once you get used to it I think you will really like it.

Montana PBS will suffice.....thanks!

You're welcome! If you get setup on 125W and want to be able to get the AC3 audio, those Sonic Voom decoders work great, used to be able to get them for about $20 shipped on eBay.....or some home stereo rigs will decode it also.

You're welcome! If you get setup on 125W and want to be able to get the AC3 audio, those Sonic Voom decoders work great, used to be able to get them for about $20 shipped on eBay.....or some home stereo rigs will decode it also.

I'll have to keep my eye out for the Sonic Vooms. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.