Questions about Directv Install - Thinking of Switching from Dishnetwork

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gman759

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
TX
I have a Hopper/Joey setup, Hopper in the media room, one Joey in living room and one Joey in a bedroom.

Here is what I want to switch to:

A media server HR-44 at the location where RG6 coax cables arrive. From there CAT6 cabling to four different locations, with C51. Is that possible? (I am in Seattle, and hence C51 might be available to us).

I also have the following questions:

(1) Does HR-44 or any of the Directv DVRs or Mini Ginie's have Bluetooth capability?
(2) How many cables need to be run from the dish to HR44?
(3) How many cables will be needed for HR44 & an HR 34 (and two C51)
(4) If I add AM21 OTA device, how many channels can I record at a time?
(5) We like Prime Time Anytime feature of Dishnetwork, how many HR44 tuners will I have to give up to record the four broadcast channels and how many AM21 devices will I need, assuming that I grab the channels OTA?
(6) Is there a commercial skip feature?
(7) Is CW41 stable? Are there dropout with wireless (Assuming at least 3 walls, max 40ft)?

In case you are wondering why I want to switch, I hear that Directv transmits 1920 x 1080p and not some butchered version ( I am sensitive to scaling artifacts).

DirecTV only does 1080p on some PPV shows. None of the regular channels. For them the best is 1080i.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

1.HR44 or any other receivers don't do Bluetooth capability

2. 1 from dish to splitter and another to power inserter with a small jumper cable to HR44

3. Only one Genie per account and Mini Genies are either C31 or C41 with coax to each from the SWM splitter.

4. 5 since it won't add any tuners and be aware that C41's does take away a tuner when used since it's just a client to the Genie DVR

5. You'll give up 4 tuners which a HD DVR is recommended for additional tuners which can have 3 tuners left over for recordings(HD DVR with 2 tuners watching through MRV)
1 AM21 should be enough for your setup since you watch remotely through MRV unless you need OTA to individual rooms.

6. No but on some channels you can watch from beginning if you forget to record, but won't be able to fast forward anything.

7. I have a C41 wireless and it's pretty stable to me 2 rooms away from HR44 and wireless bridge device that's also needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1.HR44 or any other receivers don't do Bluetooth capability

2. 1 from dish to splitter and another to power inserter with a small jumper cable to HR44

3. Only one Genie per account and Mini Genies are either C31 or C41 with coax to each from the SWM splitter.

4. 5 since it won't add any tuners and be aware that C41's does take away a tuner when used since it's just a client to the Genie DVR

5. You'll give up 4 tuners which a HD DVR is recommended for additional tuners which can have 3 tuners left over for recordings(HD DVR with 2 tuners watching through MRV)
1 AM21 should be enough for your setup since you watch remotely through MRV unless you need OTA to individual rooms.

6. No but on some channels you can watch from beginning if you forget to record, but won't be able to fast forward anything.

7. I have a C41 wireless and it's pretty stable to me 2 rooms away from HR44 and wireless bridge device that's also needed.

Thanks for your response.

On (3) My understanding is that you can have HR-44 and HR-24 in the same house. Say, HR-24. Can C41/CW41 connect to both? C51 has been released. I was asking to see if C51 supports CAT6. It is not a stretch to assume that it does,

On (4) are you saying that I will need to add 4 AM21 to record 4 OTA channels simultaneously?

"wireless bridge device that's also needed" - not sure I understand this statement.

Thanks for your response.

On (3) My understanding is that you can have HR-44 and HR-24 in the same house. Say, HR-24. Can C41/CW41 connect to both? C51 has been released. I was asking to see if C51 supports CAT6. It is not a stretch to assume that it does,

On (4) are you saying that I will need to add 4 AM21 to record 4 OTA channels simultaneously?

"wireless bridge device that's also needed" - not sure I understand this statement.

Yes HR44 and HR24 can be added with mini Genie clients as well
Only 2 Genies HR34/44 can't be added

I was not aware that C51's were released or even announced but currently they install C41's which is linked to the HR44, but it can watch and schedule recordings to HR24 HD DVR too and does everything the HR44 does
minus PIP(Picture In Picture)

No just 1 AM21 OTA is needed to do multiple recordings( but it won't add a tuner like Dish OTA does

WVB(Wireless Video Bridge)
is required for C41 wireless only not the regular mini clients or any other receivers.

C51 has been released. I was asking to see if C51 supports CAT6. It is not a stretch to assume that it does,

Unless it's an MDU, then it's possible to have Cat6 :D

Yea I understand that hutch lol but no residential cm is going to get dre installed. So to answer the question. . No the c51 does not do anything over cat5 or cat6. And the am21 has two tuners that overtake two tuners of the ird it's hooked to. So if you had one on a 44 then all clients would get subs as well. But only two locations can then access the subs at the same time unless it's being recorded and played back. You will need a total of two am21s. One for the 44 and one for the 24.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)