Questions about H25 & C31

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
Hey guys thinking of signing up with D when the new promo starts in a couple days and have some questions.
1. I'm going to go with a HR34 and either 3 H25's or 3 C31's. My question is will I have a choice of which receivers I can have or will they make me go with the C31's? Because of the HDCP crap with the 31's and being able to have 8 tuners instead of 5 I think I like my options better with the H25's.
2. Do the H25's have built in RF? I have 2 tv's where I need a RF remotes for. Will the installer help me with this?
3. On the Hr34 I want a Internet connection for VOD but currently I use a USB dongle on my 722k to get my internet connection. Does the Hr 34 have the same abilities to go wireless?

thanks guys. .

Hey guys thinking of signing up with D when the new promo starts in a couple days and have some questions.
1. I'm going to go with a HR34 and either 3 H25's or 3 C31's. My question is will I have a choice of which receivers I can have or will they make me go with the C31's? Because of the HDCP crap with the 31's and being able to have 8 tuners instead of 5 I think I like my options better with the H25's.
2. Do the H25's have built in RF? I have 2 tv's where I need a RF remotes for. Will the installer help me with this?
3. On the Hr34 I want a Internet connection for VOD but currently I use a USB dongle on my 722k to get my internet connection. Does the Hr 34 have the same abilities to go wireless?

thanks guys. .

Welcome to the nightmare Directv has created. It is my understanding that the only receivers the C31 can see are the HR34 and HR44. Since the C31 is one of a kind you are pretty much assured of getting that if you request it. As far as receivers other than the HR34 at the present time it is pretty much pot luck unless you buy it from a third party.

At the present time Directv will only activate one HR34 per account so if you want more than 5 tuners the C31 is kind of going to be a problem.

I love my HR34, HR24, and H24 setup and have no plans to downgrade to a C31.

As to internet, yes you can use wireless with a dongle (not sure about USB though) for a HR34 but I would recommend you hard wire it for best performance. Why not go Whole House and Cinema Connection kit though and just avoid the whole mess?

No, the H25 does not have built in RF but it can be added. The standard remote is IR but you can request an RF remote from the installer if he has one on his truck. Otherwise you will need to purchase one. I personally use RF remotes but they have become a problem with all the wireless things out there now with putting out stray signals or picking up stray signals..

Thanks for the response, gives me more insight of what I want now. I think I'm going to go with a Hr34 and 3 H25's, having dvr functionality at every tv is not important. By going with the above route I will have a total of 8 tuners of which I can record on up to 5 at the same time. That there will save many arguments in my house as of right now my 722k is not cutting it with 2 kids and a wife. Also if I wait until the 11th I should be able to get the above set up for $0 upfront, is this correct? Thanks.

1. You might have the option but since the C31 isnt really available we dont know what the ordering screen will show
2. no they do not.
3. yes there is a wireless CCK option

Also if I wait until the 11th I should be able to get the above set up for $0 upfront, is this correct? Thanks.
should be but again they are toting the C31's as free. But hopefully the H25 would be the same

"Welcome to the nightmare Directv has created. It is my understanding that the only receivers the C31 can see are the HR34 and HR44."

HR44???????????? Did i miss something?

"Welcome to the nightmare Directv has created. It is my understanding that the only receivers the C31 can see are the HR34 and HR44."

HR44???????????? Did i miss something?

The HR44 is a 3 tuner mini version of the HR34. It is rumored to make its debut at CES and to be released shortly there after.

To use the RF remote, the H25 requires an antenna to be plugged into the back. You should be able to get this kit for free if you specify it when you order. If you try adding it later it may cost you.

Will the HR44 have a TV out or is just a RVU / WHDRV only box?

Will the HR44 replace the HR2X boxes?

It is my understanding it is a mini HR34. Supposedly it will debut at CES. My best guess it that eventually Directv will only give out the HR34, HR44, Tivo, and C31. They already don't want the 20 series back so I think they are working in that direction now. I got into this over on DBS last night with some guys who think they have this all figured out but the C31 will not see any other receiver unless it is connected through a HR34 or HR44. So unless you have at least one HR34 or HR44 somewhere in your system the C31 would be worthless in using your other DVRs. I can see a time when legacy H series DVRs will become rare and valuable.

macfan said:
It is my understanding it is a mini HR34. Supposedly it will debut at CES. My best guess it that eventually Directv will only give out the HR34, HR44, Tivo, and C31. They already don't want the 20 series back so I think they are working in that direction now. I got into this over on DBS last night with some guys who think they have this all figured out but the C31 will not see any other receiver unless it is connected through a HR34 or HR44. So unless you have at least one HR34 or HR44 somewhere in your system the C31 would be worthless in using your other DVRs. I can see a time when legacy H series DVRs will become rare and valuable.

So the question now is will Directv allows you to have and HR34 and an HR44 on your account to give you a total of 8 tuners, taking advantage of the SWiM 8, and also giving you more tuners to share with the C31's? It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

The C31 is only supported by the HR34 (and presumably the HR44 also).

texasbrit said:
The C31 is only supported by the HR34 (and presumably the HR44 also).

However, its been reported over at DBS by someone that the C31 can see their HR2x's.

macfan said:
A C31 can see HR2xs but only through a HR34 or HR44. If a HR34 or HR44 are not in the system the C31 can not see a thing.

Correct. So you do need an HR34/HR44 in the mix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)