Questions about SHEF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apeiron

Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Earth
Not sure if this is the right place, or even the right site, but I didn't know where else to ask.

I have a couple questions regarding the SHEF interface design/use. Note: I am running the current NR release (0x62C, HR23-700).

First one: What's the reason for the rather limiting time range in the getProgInfo command? Not being able to look more than 2 hours ahead is rather strange, given the guide itself can go several days. Shouldn't be a bandwidth issue as the guide data is supposed to be stored locally.

Second one: Why were the DVR controls deprecated, rather than expanded upon? Being able to set recordings through the SHEF interface would have been useful, though I suppose doing it through the normal site or Android app is still there. Just seems strange to me. Also weird that they prompt for username/password rather than just throwing a 403.

Third, and final, one: I get a 403 'Permission denied' error when trying to use getTuned. Is there something special you have to do with that command, or is it next on the deprecated list? I have found a usable work-around for this oddity, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Any help would be very appreciated. My parents recently upgraded to a DVR, but my mother made extensive use of the auto-tune feature of standard receivers. I know the current logic is "why watch it live if you can just record it", but that's really flawed logic. VCRs and DVD recorders didn't obsolete live TV viewing, why would a DVR? Anyway, I'm putting together a quick web app for her to use to simulate auto-tune through SHEF, but the limited getProgInfo is making it difficult. She usually set an entire day (6-8 hours worth) all at once, and sometimes a day or two in advance, which is difficult to duplicate if it can't display more than 2 hours of the guide at any given time.

Unrelated, but why is the common word for "cell phones" a "forbidden word?" The one that's also a word for the opposite of stationary. Took me forever editing this post in line-by-line trying to find the "forbidden word" it was blocking it because of.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm not the brightest bulb nor the most educated, so I'm not familiar with SHEF or getProgInfo. As to your allusion to the opposite of stationary, I assume you mean mobile. I don't think it's a forbidden word.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm not the brightest bulb nor the most educated, so I'm not familiar with SHEF or getProgInfo. As to your allusion to the opposite of stationary, I assume you mean mobile. I don't think it's a forbidden word.

I'm just as lost as you are. Confused and so so so much more :(

Sorry about that. I should have explained what it is.

As Jimbo said, it's the Set-top-box HTTP Exported Functionality set.
It allows a web-based application (such as on your cell phone or computer on your network) to control your STB.
A more up-to-date command set can be found by Googling "DirecTV SHEF 1.3". First result should be a PDF at satinstalltraining.com. Won't let me post a direct link to it.

raoul5788: Yes, that is the word I meant. Going to refer to it as 'M' since it still won't let me say it. In the post, it refused to let it through when Android was replaced with M. It also wouldn't let it through with M placed in random locations throughout the post.

Sorry about that. I should have explained what it is.

As Jimbo said, it's the Set-top-box HTTP Exported Functionality set.
It allows a web-based application (such as on your cell phone or computer on your network) to control your STB.
A more up-to-date command set can be found by Googling "DirecTV SHEF 1.3". First result should be a PDF at satinstalltraining.com. Won't let me post a direct link to it.

raoul5788: Yes, that is the word I meant. Going to refer to it as 'M' since it still won't let me say it. In the post, it refused to let it through when Android was replaced with M. It also wouldn't let it through with M placed in random locations throughout the post.

There was a App that would allow you to use your tablet or cell phone as a Remote Control if thats what your looking for.

I am using my phone to post this. Let's see if it allows me to type mobile. Yup.

wow.....
Read the Title "SHEF"...
and thought this was about me for a second.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts