Questions about The Hopper?

heres a ? I'm thinking about 1 Hopper 2 joeys . can I record 2 shows at same time and still watch live tv on all 3 units

There are only three tuners. If you're not recording anything, three TVs can have live viewing. If you're recording on all three, you can watch whatever programs are being recorded or all three can watch previously recorded programming. If you're recording on two tuners, one TV can watch anything live; the other two can either watch previously recorded programs or whatever is currently being recorded. Once they add OTA tuners, more live OTA stuff obviously could be viewed. There is also the option of adding a second Hopper for more tuners.

Can you keep 2 hoppers separate after the software update? So as to not allow them to share content.

(ANSWER BY SCOTT - Yes you can by using isolators which screw into the coax lines.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that $100 is the upfront lease fee for the first hopper. Does $199 for the second hopper buy it, or is it also an upfront lease fee?

Am I correct that $99 buys the Joey so you can activate and deactivate it at will with NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. You'd just pay $7 for each active month or portion thereof.

(ANSWER BY SCOTT - The $199 for the second Hopper is an upfront lease fee, if you want to BUY the Hopper it is a MSRP of $499. (I dont see why anyone would want to buy one) And I believe you are correct on the Joey, but if not DISH can let me know. :))

Can you plug in a powered USB hub with 3 or 4 powered EHDs into a Hopper, and have all of them powered up and all recognized by the Hopper?

(ANSWER BY SCOTT - It should work the same as a 922. I am however now sure how many drives you can have hooked up at one time.)

Does the Sling Adapter incur any additional programming access charges? (I haven't been following the Sling threads at all since I can't use one with my 622 and everybody says the Dish Online system is currently a trainwreck anyway.)

(ANSWER BY SCOTT - Nope, you buy the Sling Adapter for $30, plug it into a USB port on the Hopper and your done. No extra fees for watching your Tv Everywhere. :))

If I am in a grandfathered AT250 "no locals" plan with ViP722s, and I shift to H/J, do I lose my grandfathered status?

What is the maximum number of Joeys supported by a two Hopper setup?

I thought a single Hopper could support 3 Joeys, so why can't two Hoppers support 6 Joeys. The greatest number of Joeys shown on the dual Hopper installation instructions is 4.

Question: Does Dish have an approved RF modulator setup that can backfeed a joey to another room over the existing coax that's used for hopper/joey? If so, what modulator and wiring setup is recommended so that it doesn't interfere with the hopper/joey?

I would like 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The reason being I would still love the upstairs (my 612 with mirrored SD in the bedroom) to be separate from the 622 downstairs (to upgrade to a Joey for TV2). Maybe I could go with on Hopper and two Joeys, but how can I be sure that shows will not be deleted before I (The man paying the bills) have seen them?

So my question is, is there a way to set the whole house dvr not to delete a show until it is viewed by a set number of people? Or only be deleted on the Hopper and not the Joeys.

I would like 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. The reason being I would still love the upstairs (my 612 with mirrored SD in the bedroom) to be separate from the 622 downstairs (to upgrade to a Joey for TV2). Maybe I could go with on Hopper and two Joeys, but how can I be sure that shows will not be deleted before I (The man paying the bills) have seen them?

So my question is, is there a way to set the whole house dvr not to delete a show until it is viewed by a set number of people? Or only be deleted on the Hopper and not the Joeys.

I want the Hopper in my bedroom as it has Bluetooth built in (the Joeys do not) as I like listening to SiriusXM and have Bluetooth headphones so now I can listen at night while my wife is sleeping. :D

You can't backfeed it. I am putting a Joey at the wiring box to connect to my powered splitter that my 722K's TV2 is connected to. But I will need to use the old VCR that is there as an RF modulator to convert the Joey's composite output to Coax. This type of setup has never been approved by Dish, but I have had zero issues with it and neither has the Dish techs that have been out.
is there any distance limitations for the Joey remote?

1) Are there plans to add Google TV support like the other Dish models (minus the 922)?

2) if support is not added will the Google TV still works using the IR connectors like what you would use with DireCTV or Cable, has this been tested and confirmed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)