Questions about The Hopper?

I have a question about PTAT. I live in a market area that has multiple network stations. Is there a way to tell it which stations I want? Just to clarify, I get the stations from Waco and College Station.

Nope... let us know how it works for you. :D

True, if you want to bring 6 - 12+ lines into the house! I said "Three coax from the dish or switch.." could only support six tuners.

n0qcu was still right, if you allow for placement of the 3 DPP44's and 4 dual nodes inside. 3 cables down from the dish for 4 pairs of Hoppers. That would be the technology limit without adding more dishes or replacing the 1000.n LNB/switch assemblies with DP duals.

Last edited:
n0qcu was still right, if you allow for placement of the 3 DPP44's and 4 dual nodes inside. 3 cables down from the dish for 4 pairs of Hoppers. That would be the technology limit without adding more dishes with e.g. DP duals instead of the 1000.n LNB/switch assemblies.

Not quite. You can run as many as you want as long as you use duals, and have sufficient amplifications and splitters. You take a line from each sat location and run it into a PAL 20 amp. From there you run it into an 8 way splitter. For instance, if you had just 119, 110 and 129 you would have three lines from the dish, three PAL 20 amps and three 8 way splitters. With that setup alone you can run 8 DPP 44 switches WITHOUT trunking them. If you insist on trunking them, you can run 24 switches. That's without going to a larger amp like a PAL 10, 5 or 1 and cascaded splitter banks.

Okay, I grant you that you can go to major expense to drive more than two Hoppers. What I was trying to do was to explain why a normal home install is limited to two Hoppers using the MOCA architecture. Peace!

I'm at peace exploring the technology limitations. ;) It's the damnable business limits that burn me to a crisp!

Even five-star customers have to pay $99 to upgrade? I could have sworn that it was stated during the February 16 retail chat that upgrades are free for five-star customers? Could someone clarify? I don't mean to confuse the forum by perking up the ears of those whom the majority wouldn't qualify for five-star customer pricing, but nonetheless there are some five-star customers here, I among them (by DISH's admission during a phone call).

Lest anyone think I'm going, "I've got five stars! Neener neener neener!" (I know that customer ranking is widely practiced and *supposed* to be for internal use only, but I still don't like the idea that a company would treat some customers as less important to keep happy and thereby more expendable than others), I'll say that, though I concede that $99 is a great price for the Hopper, I'm mainly interested in a free Hopper upgrade because I feel that DISH has left ViP 922 owners like myself, who paid up to $200 for that receiver, in the lurch.

I know that the 722 is in far more homes, so fixing bugs and adding features took priority for those owners. But the 922 was advertised as DISH's flagship receiver and was priced accordingly. DISH has iterated on its software at a far slower rate than the 722; the 922 still has several annoying bugs, hasn't reached feature parity with its free predecessor, and DISH is evidently walking away from it.

C'mon DISH. The 922 was an interesting experiment and valuable in that it paved the way for the Hopper--but a failure in and of itself. Customers that bought it had a reasonable expectation that DISH would not put it dead-last in bug and feature triage. I know you're listening. ;)

PS: I'm sure there's plenty here who love their 922. I respect your opinion, though after the luster of having the latest and "greatest" wore off, I don't share the same enthusiasm.

Even five-star customers have to pay $99 to upgrade? I could have sworn that it was stated during the February 16 retail chat that upgrades are free for five-star customers? Could someone clarify?
Some of the information in that early retailer chat thread was misreported and there was some confusion that's since been corrected in Schermann's recent postings. When people went back and looked at the retailer chat again, they realized some of their mistakes.

For anyone else that wanted to see the whole pricing list in print from Dish, check this link out:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/277988-questions-about-hopper-75.html#post2801463

just a few questions about the joey and it's options

My family and I have been talking about the hopper/joey combo's and just wanted to know something about the joey setup. Joey vs standard 211 hdtv receiver.

1. Will the joey work as a standard hdtv receiver like the 211 hdtv receiver and show tv shows in both sd format and hd format.? "Because this is really important to us"

2. Will the joey support 1080i or 1080p.?

3. Can the joey be hooked up just like the 211 hdtv receiver.? "just with one coax line running into it"

4. What features does the joey have over the 211 hdtv receiver.?

5. What features is the joey lacking that hopper has.?

Thank You for your time and help...!!!!

My family and I have been talking about the hopper/joey combo's and just wanted to know something about the joey setup. Joey vs standard 211 hdtv receiver.

1. Will the joey work as a standard hdtv receiver like the 211 hdtv receiver and show tv shows in both sd format and hd format.? "Because this is really important to us"

3. Can the joey be hooked up just like the 211 hdtv receiver.? "just with one coax line running into it"

1. Yes.
  2. 1080i for most content 1080p24 for select VoD content.
  3. Yes
  4. Shared resources with 1/2 hoppers. Smaller size. Lower power consumption. Faster CPU. Different UI.
  5. Tuners and disk space.

Even five-star customers have to pay $99 to upgrade? I could have sworn that it was stated during the February 16 retail chat that upgrades are free for five-star customers? Could someone clarify? I don't mean to confuse the forum by perking up the ears of those whom the majority wouldn't qualify for five-star customer pricing, but nonetheless there are some five-star customers here, I among them (by DISH's admission during a phone call).

Lest anyone think I'm going, "I've got five stars! Neener neener neener!" (I know that customer ranking is widely practiced and *supposed* to be for internal use only, but I still don't like the idea that a company would treat some customers as less important to keep happy and thereby more expendable than others), I'll say that, though I concede that $99 is a great price for the Hopper, I'm mainly interested in a free Hopper upgrade because I feel that DISH has left ViP 922 owners like myself, who paid up to $200 for that receiver, in the lurch.

I know that the 722 is in far more homes, so fixing bugs and adding features took priority for those owners. But the 922 was advertised as DISH's flagship receiver and was priced accordingly. DISH has iterated on its software at a far slower rate than the 722; the 922 still has several annoying bugs, hasn't reached feature parity with its free predecessor, and DISH is evidently walking away from it.

C'mon DISH. The 922 was an interesting experiment and valuable in that it paved the way for the Hopper--but a failure in and of itself. Customers that bought it had a reasonable expectation that DISH would not put it dead-last in bug and feature triage. I know you're listening. ;)

PS: I'm sure there's plenty here who love their 922. I respect your opinion, though after the luster of having the latest and "greatest" wore off, I don't share the same enthusiasm.

What is a Five Star Customer?

Think of it this way. The Hopper is the "main frame". The Joeys are remote access points. Without the Hopper, the Joey would be useless.

Think of it this way. The Hopper is the "main frame". The Joeys are remote access points. Without the Hopper, the Joey would be useless.
Cool...does it come with a green or amber screen? :D

Say I have two Hoppers. I want to control two tv's with Harmony remotes, both IR. Can the Hoppers be set to different frequencies, or something similar to the RF channels? Or do I just need to be really careful about where I point the remotes, so they don't crosstalk? I have two tv's (technically one is an HDTV used as my kids' pc monitor), but I'd like to have both Hoppers in my entertainment center and just run an HDMI cable to the boys' tv. If not possible, then I'll rig something at their computer desk. And when the Hoppers integrate as one, how would the Hoppers differentiate which Harmony/TV setup is asking for its programming?

Also, does this work the same way on Hoppers and Joeys? I believe a lot of us here have Harmony remotes, and maybe there are a few of us that might have equipment not entirely in separate rooms, or may have difficulties when the Hoppers integrate.

Maybe I'm overthinking. Didn't sleep well, dang time change, still recovering...

The Hoppers and Joeys will all use IR address #1 (if you turn on the IR function) So having more than one in the same room will not work very well

The Hoppers and Joeys will all use IR address #1 (if you turn on the IR function) So having more than one in the same room will not work very well
Do we know that for sure? With the VIPS, IR remote addresses can be anything. It's the Harmony remotes that will only work with the default, #1 address. Regardless, goresnet will still have problems.