This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

I wish Dish would put out a release date for the XIP and price for them. That way I know what to do. Stay with dish or move to Direct TV. Not under contract with Dish.

Last edited:
They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. People complain if it's announced too early and they have to wait. People complain if they announce it shortly before shipping, claiming they'd have waited instead of getting an older receiver. So they give plenty of notice, perhaps capitalizing on publicity for a max period, but with development and maybe even hardware manufacturing not complete, they don't dare produce an entry date they might not meet.

How much work does Dish have to do after the Echostar side of the house finishes? That's the big question.

I have no idea if they're handing them a chassis or if they're handing them a completed platform.

I thought they said it did have pip but someone with more knowledge may correct me or say what i did on this

Ouch, my eyes are hurting, I just read all 51 pages of this thread.

Summary:
- It looks really nice and will let you watch HDTV in multiple rooms sharing the sat tuners, ota tuners, and recorded content.
- We still don't know when it's coming out, how much it will cost or what the monthly fee structure will be.
- We still don't know whether it will do PiP.
- We still don't know what the Ethernet ports on the boxes are for.

Anybody remember the Dish 777 ?

Now here's something *REALLY* on the fringe... what if.. they made it possible for the sling adapter/dish receiver able to drive the 110 via ethernet ... rather than the moca *cable* version..

I would bet that the reason they are going with MoCA vs. Ethernet is simply to leverage existing home cabling. They know every customer is going to have coax at the install point where a relatively small percentage has proper Cat5e/6. And by only putting MoCA in the 110 units (rather than adding an Ethernet port or having an ethernet-only version) they save on production costs. It's all about ease of install and keeping production costs down.

I'm actually interested to see how well the wireless receiver U-Verse recently advertising performs. If that works well that could definitely be a game-changer.

Sounds like Dish has decided that relying on the customer's Ethernet network to provide TV2 is a service nightmare. If someone calls in that their TV2 is freezing, skipping, breaking up or just not working, how is Dish to resolve the problem especially if Wi-fi is involved. There's hundreds of ways to malfunction. My network has 15 wired devices and three base stations all connected to DSL Going with MoCA gives Dish total control over getting all TVs to work properly and not be dependent on others.

Well the boxes appear to have Ethernet ports on them. For what purpose, who knows?

rgiore,

the other side of that equation is that if the are network congestion issues they only have themselves to blame

that's a bet i would take myself.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

If they aren't total idiots at Dish, the XIP's will be able to use both coax and ethernet, depending on existing cabling, if any. To design them otherwise would be foolish.
This was asked by Scott at the Team Summit. The coax MoCA network is the only option for sending video to 110 boxes. The Ethernet network is for everything else if it's there (streaming video, guide data, etc). Idiotic I know, but unless something has changed between the Team Summit and release, that's how it's going to work.

Using a private network over MoCA to distribute the video to the 110's, while providing Ethernet in the 813's for connecting to streaming and the like, makes perfect sense to me. Best of both worlds from Dish's perspective. Far easier to support and debug the "internal" video distribution, known available bandwidth, easier and less expensive to install, while still providing access to the outside world for online content. Not at all idiotic from what I can see.

You can even take it a step farther and use that MoCA bridge device DISH is going to offer to bring your home network over to the MoCA network and then not have to run any Ethernet or use any wireless bridge devices at all.

With sincere respect to Scott, that doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure his source is sincere, but the planned implementation (9-12 months from release), the supported implementation, and the technical capabilities of the box are three entirely different things.

I could see the possibility of Moca as the only "supported" platform, but allowing ethernet to work. Wouldn't be surprised if they restrict to Moca only either.

I could see the possibility of Moca as the only "supported" platform, but allowing ethernet to work. Wouldn't be surprised if they restrict to Moca only either.

I don't think they will let you use ethernet to connect the 813 with the 110. Once you move to ethernet you can "route" things, through wireless (to a neighbors), through the internet (vacation house), etc.

Of course there is an ethernet over MOCA device , maybe someone will do the opposite.

I don't think they will let you use ethernet to connect the 813 with the 110. Once you move to ethernet you can "route" things, through wireless (to a neighbors), through the internet (vacation house), etc.

That's pretty easy to test for and stop for all but the most savvy of users. The wireless neighbor scenario is probably the most problematic.

But like I said, I will not be surprised (or even upset) if they limit it to moca only - especially at out of the gate.