Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

I think it all sounds very exciting and I hope to be able to add this to my set up. But it really will all come down to price. As we know Dish likes to nickel and dime you to death. And by the time I add enough tuners to meet my demand, I may not be able to afford it.

Thats great if your a SatelliteGuys member, but most non SatelliteGuys users do not use their receivers that way. ;)

I already use 4 tuners at a time during Prime time for network programming , so 8 things at a time wouldn't be the much of a stretch. I could use 4 ota tuners for my network programming for better pq than sat locals. The other sat tuners for movies , kid shows for the boy and one that does decorating shows for my wife. I would really love a receiver like that: 4 sat/4 ota.

I think it all sounds very exciting and I hope to be able to add this to my set up. But it really will all come down to price. As we know Dish likes to nickel and dime you to death. And by the time I add enough tuners to meet my demand, I may not be able to afford it.

It always comes down to price for me. Knowing DISH they will charge you for each 110 box monthly and a dvr fee as high as the 922 at $10.00 and a Multi-Room View fee that is much higher than Directv charges ,making the whole house dvr too much for me to afford.

Originally Posted by ckhalil18 Hmmm.... Couldn't DISH create some kind of MoCA/OTA module for the 922 so it can support MoCA? I don't see why not since it all uses coax, right?
No MoCA is a chipset feature.

Well sure they could, plug the 922 ethernet into a the XIP MOCA Bridge(if the are really going to limit the video network to Moca). But it would never be end-user install simple and there probably not enough 922s to bother.

It's probably way too early to tell, but is there any chance that that a network OTA tuner (HDHomerun) would work with the xip receivers?

I was referring to total revenue, not just the hardware itself....

So am I. The cost of designing and deploying a new receiver, along with labor costs for installation and trouble call costs for customers who can't figure out the new equipment. Not to mention the costs for added call center volume. Vs. An add on module built for minimal cost, easily installed with virtually no learning curve. Whatever fee they wanted could be added. See how that works?

Well the graphics , menus and channel logos of the 922 will be used in the next series of dvrs the 813. That has already been reported by Scott G. at team summit. But I'm betting that the 922 type of receiver will not be built upon, anymore than the 722/722k series of dvrs will be. The 813 dvr is the future. Now how about an 814 with 4 sat tuners? I would really like that one .:D

No, that's not what he said. He said that the 813 is built on the same software as the 922. That's why Echostar thinks they can get this to DISH by the end of the year. They don't' have to write a whole new device OS from scratch. They aren't just sharing art assets, that would save a trivial amount of work.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm stuck at work on the night shift and I'm tired... I currently have just one TV in my house, hooked up to a 722. I occasionally have all three tuners (2 sat / 1 OTA) in use. I see people on here mention the 813 for use with 3+ TV's. Could the 813 be used in my setup, utilizing 3 sat tuners + 1 OTA tuner? Occasionally I have to get a show online due to all my tuners being used, and even 1 extra would help. I'm not concerned about the monthly cost, and this box may even tempt me to add a second TV in the bedroom with a 110, giving me an additional OTA tuner. Like other posters, I have my wife and two sons to record shows for, and I watch mine when they are in bed. More tuners = better!

Also, I see people talk about diplexing OTA and cable internet. Does that mean that the coax cable can carry the OTA, cable internet AND sat signals?

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but I'm stuck at work on the night shift and I'm tired... I currently have just one TV in my house, hooked up to a 722. I occasionally have all three tuners (2 sat / 1 OTA) in use. I see people on here mention the 813 for use with 3+ TV's. Could the 813 be used in my setup, utilizing 3 sat tuners + 1 OTA tuner? Occasionally I have to get a show online due to all my tuners being used, and even 1 extra would help. I'm not concerned about the monthly cost, and this box may even tempt me to add a second TV in the bedroom with a 110, giving me an additional OTA tuner. Like other posters, I have my wife and two sons to record shows for, and I watch mine when they are in bed. More tuners = better!

So if I understand what you are asking- The number of tuners in the 813 is independent to the number of 110 remote boxes you have. An 813 on it's own can use all the tuners available to it - 3 Sat/1 OTA

No, that's not what he said. He said that the 813 is built on the same software as the 922. That's why Echostar thinks they can get this to DISH by the end of the year. They don't' have to write a whole new device OS from scratch. They aren't just sharing art assets, that would save a trivial amount of work.

Now what I meant by not building on the 922, is that they will not build a receiver that is set up like the 922 is today. Or the 722k is for that matter, Meaning no tv 1 or tv 2 , no ota module to be installed inside the receiver itself. That is now at an end as far as a concept. All they need to finish this concept is the Sling Extender so you can get tv 2 in full HD. The 813 dvr will use the same menus ,guides ,graphics and interface as the 922 but it will be used through out the house on all 4 hd tvs. This is the future.

I know that you want to feel justified in your faith in the 922 , but really this isn't the first time that DISH has changed course and went in a different direction entirely. I 've seen it happen many times in over 14 years with DISH. It doesn't mean the 922 will not be supported any longer or no new software updates. DISH is still supporting software to some of their very first receivers manufactured back in 96/97. It just means that the 922 will not be the flagship receiver it has been advertised to be for the last year or so. (It never was the flagship to me, as you well know, for numerous personal reasons.)

The 813 will now get all the attention and updates to make it's features better. But the production of the 922 is not going to stop anytime soon. Then again it might become easier and cheaper to get one, once the 813 makes it to market. It might even become the standard dvr receiver in two tv homes if they would lower the dvr fee back to the standard $6.00 fee. I mean what is the extra $4.00 for anyway? That has always bothered me in the fairness aspect. I can sling just like the 922 with my 722k +sling adapter and my dvr fee is just $6.00 a month. Why the extra $4.00 for the 922? A sling fee?

Last edited:
So if I understand what you are asking- The number of tuners in the 813 is independent to the number of 110 remote boxes you have. An 813 on it's own can use all the tuners available to it - 3 Sat/1 OTA

That's what I wanted to know. The 813 can use all of it's tuners on just one tv. I use all my 722 tuners on one tv, but I was reading people on here saying 722 for 1 HDTV, 922 for 2HDTV's and 813 for 3+ HDTV's. But I guess that is just the typical usage.

Thanks!

That's what I wanted to know. The 813 can use all of it's tuners on just one tv. I use all my 722 tuners on one tv, but I was reading people on here saying 722 for 1 HDTV, 922 for 2HDTV's and 813 for 3+ HDTV's. But I guess that is just the typical usage.

Thanks!
813 will have 3 sat tuners the add on OTA (ext USB)module will be 2 tuners. So a total or 5 guys. Right now both the 722k & 922 can do 4. 2 sat & 2 OTA with an added module(int).

goresnet said:

Also, I see people talk about diplexing OTA and cable internet. Does that mean that the coax cable can carry the OTA, cable internet AND sat signals?

Are you an Air Traffic Controler?

So can 2 813s share recordings with each other? I assume they wouldn't share scheduling data. That would be too good.
So the 922 and 813 can't share anything outside of swapping an external drive?

So can 2 813s share recordings with each other? I assume they wouldn't share scheduling data. That would be too good.
Yes, and it will all happen automatically without you needing to worry about a thing. :)

So the 922 and 813 can't share anything outside of swapping an external drive?
This we don't know, its a wait and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)