Questions about Upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Horn_for_life

Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I am about to call D and ask for the upgrade to the HR-20 HDDVR. Not sure what kind of deal I will get but more on that when I do it. I have a few questions before I jump off and make the call:

1. I have a roof mount dish that as I understand it will be inadequate for the 5 LNB dish. Does D cover a wall mount or some other form of mounting as part of the base install that is capable of supporting the 5 LNB? A pole mount is not an option as I do not have clear line of sight from my property at ground level. My current mount is actually screwed into the roof deck through the shingles and I would prefer to not mess with it if at all possible.

2. I currently have coax 3 cables to my Tivo box, 2 DTV and one basic TW Cable mainly for local radar coverage and if my D is out. Very cheap here for basic when combined with Road Runner access and digital phone. If I get the Dish Mounted HD antenna can I put the antenna signal down the coax combined with my TW via a diplexer or something to the HR-20? Also, is the Dish Mounted HD antenna worth it or should I look for something else?

3. Are there any other quirks about the HR-20 outside of the inability to pause 2 shows without recording one of them that just drive people nuts? I hate to loose this feature of my TIVO but need to make the jump to HD as my Tivo is starting to have issues due to age.

Thanks for the help.

I am about to call D and ask for the upgrade to the HR-20 HDDVR. Not sure what kind of deal I will get but more on that when I do it. I have a few questions before I jump off and make the call:

1. I have a roof mount dish that as I understand it will be inadequate for the 5 LNB dish. Does D cover a wall mount or some other form of mounting as part of the base install that is capable of supporting the 5 LNB? A pole mount is not an option as I do not have clear line of sight from my property at ground level. My current mount is actually screwed into the roof deck through the shingles and I would prefer to not mess with it if at all possible.

The foot of the existing dish will remain screwed-in place. It can't be used and they won't remove it for fear of creating leaks. Since you've had a roof mount already, the wiring mostly is in-place for another roof mount. The 5-lnb can probably be mounted next to the existing foot-bracket. From a cable-running perspective that may be your best option. Have you considered another roof-mount?

2. I currently have coax 3 cables to my Tivo box, 2 DTV and one basic TW Cable mainly for local radar coverage and if my D is out. Very cheap here for basic when combined with Road Runner access and digital phone. If I get the Dish Mounted HD antenna can I put the antenna signal down the coax combined with my TW via a diplexer or something to the HR-20? Also, is the Dish Mounted HD antenna worth it or should I look for something else?

You're probably better off with a separate antenna. My SquareShooter works well and only runs around $100... although a pair of rabbit ears also works reasonably well here. Check out AntennaWeb for a recommendation.

3. Are there any other quirks about the HR-20 outside of the inability to pause 2 shows without recording one of them that just drive people nuts? I hate to loose this feature of my TIVO but need to make the jump to HD as my Tivo is starting to have issues due to age.

Thanks for the help.

The HR20 can't record 2 shows while you watch a 3rd live show. The 3rd show can be recorded, but not live. Really these are design limitations, not 'defects' -- my unit has very seldom had issues requiring reboot, and then only using CE software. I've had it since early December.

I had a 5 LNB Slimline roof mounted in July. The installer said you cannot use a diplexor with the new equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)