Questions on multiswitches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rcayers

Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
I have the DTV 18x20 dish with 3 LNB's and a 4x4 multiswitch, also an off air antenna for locals. I want to add more TVs so I need a new multiswitch. Which brings up several questions.
1. What is the difference between a 5x8 and 6x8? Is one superior to the other?
2. I see both powered and non-powered switches are available. Can I use either? Is one superior to the other?
3. Most of these switches have an input for the off air antenna. As I understand it I need a diplexer at the receiver to separate the signals. What happens if I don't put a separator at the receiver? Will I get the DTV signal OK with no off air, or what.
4. Can I combine two satellite outputs so that I can get the two sat inputs for a DVR in one wire? If so, how would this be set up? What happens to the off air antenna signal in this case?
5. If I get a multiswitch that can ultimately be used with the 5 LNB dishes in the future, can this be used with the 3 LNB setup now? I read someplace, for example, that the Zinwell WB68 can only be used on the 5 LNB system.
6. Is there any great difference between different brands of multiswitches - Terk, Perfect Vision, Eagle Aspen, Zinwell?
7. The signal from my off air antenna is marginal on some stations, i.e. the station pixelates and freezes periodically. I have a splitter in the line and run separate lines to the two sets utilizing this antenna. Is there some way to improve this performance in the new set up I am contemplating?
8. Have I thought of all the issues that have to be addressed?

Thanks for any input/advice.

rcayers said:
I have the DTV 18x20 dish with 3 LNB's and a 4x4 multiswitch, also an off air antenna for locals. I want to add more TVs so I need a new multiswitch. Which brings up several questions.
1. What is the difference between a 5x8 and 6x8? Is one superior to the other?

No, that does not mean one is better than the other, just means that the 5x (or 6x) may have an ANT input for OTA, and/or Flexports for multiple dishes.

rcayers said:
2. I see both powered and non-powered switches are available. Can I use either? Is one superior to the other?

Yes, you need one that is cascadable, since the dish already has a built-in switch.

rcayers said:
3. Most of these switches have an input for the off air antenna. As I understand it I need a diplexer at the receiver to separate the signals. What happens if I don't put a separator at the receiver? Will I get the DTV signal OK with no off air, or what.

You'd probably have any range of odd things happen, interference, etc, BUT, I am not a pro, so I'll let someone else take that one.

rcayers said:
4. Can I combine two satellite outputs so that I can get the two sat inputs for a DVR in one wire? If so, how would this be set up? What happens to the off air antenna signal in this case?

Only with a stacker/destacker setup, those are not cheap. And no, you can't use a splitter. The secondary question is moot.

rcayers said:
5. If I get a multiswitch that can ultimately be used with the 5 LNB dishes in the future, can this be used with the 3 LNB setup now? I read someplace, for example, that the Zinwell WB68 can only be used on the 5 LNB system.

If you diplex, then you will loose that ability with the AT9, afaik, the WB68 is the only one I know of in use, since it deals with an additional band, so it has different frequency requirments.

rcayers said:
6. Is there any great difference between different brands of multiswitches - Terk, Perfect Vision, Eagle Aspen, Zinwell?

I can only tell you what I have seen on here, but based on what I read, stay away from Terks, the rest I can't say for sure.

rcayers said:
7. The signal from my off air antenna is marginal on some stations, i.e. the station pixelates and freezes periodically. I have a splitter in the line and run separate lines to the two sets utilizing this antenna. Is there some way to improve this performance in the new set up I am contemplating?

Nothing in a D* setup by itself will improve OTA performance., unless your present system is below par, and there are many factors that come into play wrt OTA, and you do not provide enough information on the problems you have with OTA, I will say one thing though, diplexed OTA will definatly have signal loss when compared to a seperate coax for OTA. So if anything, drop the diplexing. I do get the impression that the H20 does have a better (more sensitive) OTA tuner than some other older models, <conjecture> but those reports may have been in error since, it is possible they had to stop diplexing, and hence got a better signal, and attributed it to the H20 being the cause rather than the elimination of the diplexing and the signal loss associated with it.</conjecture>

rcayers said:
8. Have I thought of all the issues that have to be addressed?

Sorry, not enough information for a meaningful answer, except maybe that if you go AT9, you will have to run a coax for OTA to a distribution point, then split to each tuner you want to have OTA, since the AT9 will nix your diplex setup.

rcayers said:
Thanks for any input/advice.

No problem, keep us updated.

Last edited:
rcayers said:
You'll only need a diplexer at the receiver locations where OTA is required, otherwise you can connect the cable directly and receive the sat signal only (the OTA signal will be ignored by the receiver).

rcayers said:
Yes, it'll work with the 3 LNB dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts