Quick OTA Question

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Hey guys

I just want to make sure. If I don't use the OTA antenna that comes with the Voom system, can I just pickup any antenna at WalMart or CircuitCity? What should I look for in the antenna? AntennaWeb says the channels I want are in mainly UHF, and a few in VHF, all about 20ish miles away. Should I get one that says it is capable of receiving HDTV signals?

Also, what does the HDTV receiver do that is at the store? I'm assuming that is not needed because the Voom box decodes the HDTV?

And, whatever antenna I get, I Just plug it into the OTA jack on the Voom receiver?

If you are talking about indoor antennas, they might work (yes, just connect it to the OTA module at the back of the box), but you might be better of with the outdoor antenna installed by VOOM. And no, you don't need another HDTV receiver if you are getting VOOM.

I'd suggest that if OTA is really important to you I'd let VOOM install the antenna. They will insure you are receiving properly. Then if you think you can get the same thing via inside antenna you can try that but you have the outside antenna to back you up. Once VOOM has left they won't come back to install the other antenna because you were wrong in your assessment of indoor reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)