R10 DVR and USB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bs2000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I just was setup with *D and i recieved the R10 DVR with software 6.1, my installer gave me a tip on connecting it with my PC using the USB port. Many reports on here state otherwise but I am going to give it a try. However wouls I need special software along with the USB cord in order to try this? I have his card I may need to conact him.

As far as I know none of the USB ports are active on any DTivo.

You can however connect your DTivo to your PC via the serial connection to get software updates that way.

IDK why my installer bothered telling me that. The exact word out of his mouth where "Just to let you know, you don't have to hack the hard drive and void your warranty on these, you can hookup your computer to the data ports now to your computer and burn them on a dvd"

Nope, you can't do that on these units. I've learned that most installers really don't know what all they are saying when it comes to features of the receivers.

R10 Dvr

Could you use the serial port connection to initially setup the DVR function (rather than using the phone line?)

usb ports on all tivo rec are supposed to be locked, from what i understand there is a possibility the they were unlocked witht he recent upgrade, which the R10 did not get, and it was version 6.1 not 6.2, I have two tivos and have yet to try.i tend to agree with neutron.

DirecTV*Tier2Tech said:
what i understand there is a possibility the they were unlocked witht he recent upgrade

You understand wrongly.
They power up, but can't be used without hacking the system.

Will DirecTV ever turn the USB ports up so we can hook our PCs to the R10?? Also will any standalone DVD recroder work with the R10 to run some shows off???

yukon said:
Will DirecTV ever turn the USB ports up so we can hook our PCs to the R10?? Also will any standalone DVD recroder work with the R10 to run some shows off???

There are TONS of reasons why D* would never want to unlock/enable those USB ports. Possible piracy of recorded shows and theft of service immediately come to mind.

There is also plenty of reasons that they should open them up... The declining number of landline telephones, being able to sell additional attachable DVR storage, etc.

IMO they will never open those gates and that's because of one word...SUPPORT. They simply don't want to further complicate their Tech Support infrastructure in an effort to keep their costs down.

I'd really like to see them open the USB ports up myself, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :no

Status
Please reply by conversation.