R15-300 Software Release 0x121E

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
R15-300: 0x121E
Staggered release began 7/1/08.

The Contents of this Release: (Differences based on last National Release)

• Improved trickplay robustness
  • Improved Robustness to Game Lounge performance
  • UI Polishing
  • Improved Stability

This is a staggered release, and can take a few day to a few weeks to be released nation wide. D* generally rolls releses from west coast to easy by zip code.

Yellow button UI change: Annoying!

In the R15 0x121C release, they changed the Yellow button functionality for My Playlist. Previously, one press would take you immediately to the To Do list, which is essential for planning what next to record.

But now it takes me FIVE keystrokes to get to the To Do list, instead of just being able to press Yellow ONCE from the Playlist. The new release 0x121E retains this unwanted and unwise change. Making this kind of change to the UI is extremely annoying.

DTV needs to engage in a lot more end-user testing and focus group/market research before making such changes.

Overall, DTV's DVR software has shown major improvements over the last couple of years, but it's still a very long way behind where UltimateTV was more than 3 years ago. I think about how robust that software was, how responsive and well thought-out the UI was, and how they did it all on processors that were probably a lot slower than what's in the R15s!

It's just sad that there's so much "not invented here" thinking on the part of the developers -- they really should look at the best of the rest and try to do better, not just play catch-up.

The R15 0x121C release has caused my DVR to download PPV "Movies Now". This has caused the DVR to delete my recorded shows after 1 day despite showing 40-50% free. I'm seriously thinking of switching to Dish or even *ugh* cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)