R15 DVR vs. TiVo...And the winner is???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have neither yet. I just signed up for service to be installed tomorrow, but I understand I am getting the R15 receiver.

One thing I have noticed is everyone says the R15 unit is "harder" to control. Is that because everyone is use to their TIVO setup? Change is hard for alot of people, even if it's good for them. And it takes time for it to feel 2nd nature again.

I'm not knocking either system, just thinking out loud. I guess if I had to choose one right now, it would probably be the R15 as I understand it will work w/o a phone line whereas the TIVO requires a phone line. Unfortunately at my house, we only use cell phones.

I got mine in mid January from Value Electronics. Let me tell you, VE is the BEST! My first H-20 failed and they were VERY prompt at getting me a replacement! Best store I have EVER dealt with!

RYU-

the answer to all your problems are on your TiVo menu. For instance, all you need to do is tell your TiVo NOT to record suggested programming. And, you can turn it off, but why would you? There are lots of cool things you can do if you read your manual or peruse your menu and settings page.

I would get the R15, I have them both. I'm currently not using the R15, but once all the glitches are worked (which I think they will be) I think the R15 will be a superior unit.

Shawn

Good thread...I've been checking to see all points brought out.

I have a the old RCA40 (35 hour Tivo) in the basement. The wife loves it, but man is it slow and it will miss recording shows on occasion.

The dilemma?

Spend 100 bucks and upgrade/expand the hard drive to record more hours or just get the R15?

Is there a deal on the R15? Will D* upgrade this for cheap or will I pay about the same as just ugrading the Tivo on my own?

Proc said:
Good thread...I've been checking to see all points brought out.

I have a the old RCA40 (35 hour Tivo) in the basement. The wife loves it, but man is it slow and it will miss recording shows on occasion.

The dilemma?

Spend 100 bucks and upgrade/expand the hard drive to record more hours or just get the R15?

Is there a deal on the R15? Will D* upgrade this for cheap or will I pay about the same as just ugrading the Tivo on my own?
Does your RCA 40 not have the 6.2 software on it?

Proc said:
I am not sure which software version is on there. I'll have to check tonight.
If it's not 6.2, you should force a call to it to get the software. It has been out for quite some time but speeds things up considerably from the old 3.1 version. Adds folders for shows also.

Tonedeaf said:
If it's not 6.2, you should force a call to it to get the software. It has been out for quite some time but speeds things up considerably from the old 3.1 version. Adds folders for shows also.
6.2 is considerably faster. The key to getting the upgrade is keeping a phone line connected to receive the update.

mikew said:
6.2 is considerably faster. The key to getting the upgrade is keeping a phone line connected to receive the update.
What if one's R10 was stuck at 6.1, yet went out and spent 30 mins in the middle of the night every night for the past week downloading updates. Does 6.2 even exist for an R10?

xtremetoyz said:
What if one's R10 was stuck at 6.1, yet went out and spent 30 mins in the middle of the night every night for the past week downloading updates. Does 6.2 even exist for an R10?
No. 6.2 is essentially exactly what 6.1 is.

Tonedeaf said:

Yep...its version 6.2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts