R22... Am I screwed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I had bought a R10 a couple weeks ago, day before I had to wiggle my access card to keep form getting a error message, today it quit working completly, I tried tapping on the box, sticking a old credit card on top of it to make better contact, nothing, so I called directv up and they said the card reader is bad.
So they were going to send me out an R15, but I said hey! wait a minute directv is comming out with a new dish and receiver in febuary becuase my locals are going mpeg4, wouldnt it be silly to send me a mpeg2 receiver, have it for 2 weeks and get it replaced? so they said they would ship me out a R22, sounds great.

1. Doesnt the R22 need a mpeg4 dish to work? My current dish is a pizza dish pointed at 101,. so wouldnt I need to wait for them to come out with a slimline? If I am right Im without a DVR for two weeks?

2. The receiver also does Directv on Demand, there is no internet in my room, however the living room has hi-speed internet with wifi, can I use a usb wifi router on my receiver?

R22 is backwards compatible so you can use it on a 18"round dish. But I believe it dosen't have a coax out that may cause a problem.

You will be fine with a R22 (and happy), as far as RF out, a <$20 RF Modulator will fix that. Keep in mind the R22 will process Mpeg4 Locals but D* refuses to activate it as a full out HDDVR

You can use wifi, but need to use an ethernet device, not USB.

DirecTV sells it here for $79:
https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydirectv/cep/myProgrammingKits.jsp

Or you can buy any wireless game adapter (ethernet) elsewhere, the linksys is what they recomend:
Linksys by Cisco - Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter

I have one on order from DirecTV myself. I first thought I could use a wireless USB kit I had but having the AM21 too eliminated any USB port. I then started researching here and found the kit from Direct. Not only do I want to check out 1080P on my new setup, but I have seen some report after adding Internet to their DVR, they received a call about issues on signal strength from D* since they can monitor it. Since my 101 satellite signal is now at -0- they should call to repair.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts