Rabbit-ears over outdoor antenna???

porter6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Mattoon, IL
Hey everybody,
Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. I have an LG 37" LCD with a Dish Network ViP722. However, Dish does not offer my locals in HD. I had an old set of rabbit ears made by Philips that are amplified so i hooked them up to my TV to see what i could get. My local stations are about 45 miles away with no real obstacles for the signal to overcome. I can pull CBS and ABC with a little bit of fine tuning, but thats really about it. This got me to thinking that if i put one on the house outside I'd really be in business. So i bought a Winegard SENSAR antenna and hooked it up straight to the TV at first and can get absolutely nothing. The run to the TV is about 75 ft.. Does it need amplified? Is the range too far for this antenna?? HELP PLEASE!! Dish locals look horrible after watching them in HD OTA.

At 45 miles you'll need a real antenna mounted outside. Post your general location and affiliate names so we can help determine what would work for you.

I live in East Central Illinois and the affiliates I'd like to receive are WCIA(CBS), WICS(ABC), WAND(NBC), and WRSP(FOX). WRSP is a bit farther away but the other three are in the same general vicinity. Is the SENSAR not the right choice??

If all your station towers are in the same direction, you are lucky. Otherwise you may need a rotator along with your outdoor or attic mounted antenna. Terrain matters greatly too. If you are in a flat area, the easier you can receive a signal.

Check out: AntennaWeb it will tell you where the towers are and give you an idea of what type of antenna you need...

As far as the sensar, location of the antenna matters also, move it around your house...you will be suprised. I have a CM 4228 with rotator in the attic and found a location in the attic that is the best place.

I live in East Central Illinois and the affiliates I'd like to receive are WCIA(CBS), WICS(ABC), WAND(NBC), and WRSP(FOX). WRSP is a bit farther away but the other three are in the same general vicinity. Is the SENSAR not the right choice??

Go to AntennaWeb or TV Fool - Home Enter your address and post the results here. Once that data is known, the correct antenna for your location can be determined.

Thanks for the replies. I slapped an amplifier on there and got everything I wanted and then some. Side question: Why does dish re-format everything back to 4:3 if you run through the off-air input on the receiver?? IMO they look better hooked straight to the TV.

Thanks for the replies. I slapped an amplifier on there and got everything I wanted and then some. Side question: Why does dish re-format everything back to 4:3 if you run through the off-air input on the receiver?? IMO they look better hooked straight to the TV.

Wait till it rains.....

My experience with OTA is limited so that is what I'm curious to see. Winter's in central Illinois can get kinda brutal so we shall see if it lasts. I'm just glad I get to watch my Illini in the Rose Bowl in HD, not to mention the Super Bowl. I'm just glad I don't have to look at my $10 set of rabbit ears next to my $1200 TV.

Why does dish re-format everything back to 4:3 if you run through the off-air input on the receiver?? IMO they look better hooked straight to the TV.

Sounds like your receiver is not set up properly. It should be set to 16X9 and either 720p or 1080i.

And connected ONLY by HDMI or Component with toslink, digital coax or RCA audio.

My experience with OTA is limited so that is what I'm curious to see. Winter's in central Illinois can get kinda brutal so we shall see if it lasts. I'm just glad I get to watch my Illini in the Rose Bowl in HD, not to mention the Super Bowl. I'm just glad I don't have to look at my $10 set of rabbit ears next to my $1200 TV.
Bet you wish you hadn't turned it on. I was pulling for them too as I don't care for USC. Turned out Hawaii got pummeled too. It looked even uglier in HD.

Try what DirecTV is now doing. If the TV is newer and has a known newer ATSC demodulator (tuner) use the TV instead of using the satellite receivers ATSC tuner. Test between tuners using LIVE shows example: Tonight Show, David Letterman, or LIVE weekend football .