Rain Fade in Effect

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Well that time of year again, its raining hard here, Direct Pizza Out. H2H 99 Quality. I hate pizza :mad: Love C band :D

Maybe that's the best looking picture on pizza yet LOL :haha

Attachments

• H2H.jpg
    H2H.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Direct.jpg
    Direct.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 223
  • radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
tvropro said:
Well that time of year again, its raining hard here, Direct Pizza Out. H2H 99 Quality. I hate pizza :mad: Love C band :D

LOL! I know exactly what you mean.

Funny thing just occurred to me.... BigDish is a style of pizza LOL!

Big dish pizza... I thought I had that running a 90 cm on DirecTV. Still goes out, maybe a 20 meter might hang in there on Direct, they should include them with all installs in rainy area's. Pizza providers always play down the rain fade problems but it's there. I guess after being spoiled with c band for 24 years, pizza's rain fade is untenable for me. I'm not dumb down by there weather issues and poor picture as that is acceptable as the norm.

I am curious, is it possible to have Directv or Dish Network from the BUD? By installing the circular LNB of the either pizza dish to the BUD, and still watch the paid programming and not ever worry about rain fade? I don't think anyone addressed this issue.

I am curious, is it possible to have Directv or Dish Network from the BUD? By installing the circular LNB of the either pizza dish to the BUD, and still watch the paid programming and not ever worry about rain fade? I don't think anyone addressed this issue.

Check with skyvision, I think they have a kit to do that. Also do some searches on line because I think I have seen that discussed on some boards.

You can do that but your not going to eliminate rain fade totally. My 90cm offset has almost as much gain as my 12 foot has on ku. KU and KA go out because of scatter of the signal. It has to do with the frequency. Anything above 6ghz is susceptible. DBS is 12 ghz for ku,18 ghz for ka which has 3 times more attenuation then ku. Thats where Directs HD stuff is.

Big dish pizza... I thought I had that running a 90 cm on DirecTV. Still goes out, maybe a 20 meter might hang in there on Direct, they should include them with all installs in rainy area's. Pizza providers always play down the rain fade problems but it's there. I guess after being spoiled with c band for 24 years, pizza's rain fade is untenable for me. I'm not dumb down by there weather issues and poor picture as that is acceptable as the norm.

Probably need a permit to install the larger dish. Don't want to complicate things for the average user (not to mention the additional costs). :eek:

tvropro said:
You can do that but your not going to eliminate rain fade totally. My 90cm offset has almost as much gain as my 12 foot has on ku. KU and KA go out because of scatter of the signal. It has to do with the frequency. Anything above 6ghz is susceptible. DBS is 12 ghz for ku,18 ghz for ka which has 3 times more attenuation then ku. Thats where Directs HD stuff is.

Yes, it's to do with how rain affects the signal, not the size of the dish.

5" inches of rain in 36 hours was enough for me. At least the 8 foot dish was working fine. The pizza guys always say signal is like 99% reliable...it's the 1% that people notice when it's pixelating or a blank screen...blind

Yes, it's to do with how rain affects the signal, not the size of the dish.

I tried 3 things with Direct. I started out with the 18" on 101 it was a joke. Then I took a Slimline since the Direct guys boast about that dish being so great slapped a single DBS LNBF on it and tested. It did better then the 18 but still went out. Then I slapped a DBS LNBF on my Primestar 90 and squeezed out every bit out of it it was better yet but forget it when the heavy cells roll in. The only thing the 90 has going for it over the Direct dishes is it will play a bit longer and come back sooner. It also can hang in there with moderate rain at threshold where the Direct supplied dishes would be out.

I talked with my friend at a company that does commercial installs using dishes on c band 15 meters big about Direct. He said that when they do commercial Direct they use a 1.0m or 1.2m but it still goes out. He said the 90cm was pretty big for Direct though.

I did a lot of research last summer about all this looking for a 100% solution, there is none. What ticks me off is if you have hours of rain with flare up's Direct will be up and down all day or night. Kinda useless to enjoy Tv that way. The bud well crack open a cold one and enjoy it 100% :)

tvropro said:
I tried 3 things with Direct. I started out with the 18" on 101 it was a joke. Then I took a Slimline since the Direct guys boast about that dish being so great slapped a single DBS LNBF on it and tested. It did better then the 18 but still went out. Then I slapped a DBS LNBF on my Primestar 90 and squeezed out every bit out of it it was better yet but forget it when the heavy cells roll in. The only thing the 90 has going for it over the Direct dishes is it will play a bit longer and come back sooner. It also can hang in there with moderate rain at threshold where the Direct supplied dishes would be out.

I talked with my friend at a company that does commercial installs using dishes on c band 15 meters big about Direct. He said that when they do commercial Direct they use a 1.0m or 1.2m but it still goes out. He said the 90cm was pretty big for Direct though.

I did a lot of research last summer about all this looking for a 100% solution, there is none. What ticks me off is if you have hours of rain with flare up's Direct will be up and down all day or night. Kinda useless to enjoy Tv that way. The bud well crack open a cold one and enjoy it 100% :)

Yup! Same here! When the rain showers are expected you may as well forget pizza and watch BigDish.

It's always amazing to me that it goes out during programming and not commercials! I know that's a coincidence, but it does play out that way for me! Either that or at the most critical part of a show or film..."the murderer is....Searching for signal" lol

What always makes me laugh is when m travelling in the south we have a 6' pointed at 61.5 - the signal goes out BEFORE it rains, a good few minutes before, we use it to "predict" rain which is a great party trick!

Direct will go out here before it starts to rain then comes back while its raining. That proves that the signal is getting messed with going through the clouds since the dish is still dry. Maybe pizza should transmit with UFO satellites that look like a pizza hovering below the clouds, that would sure be funny looking .

But i thought those little HD high tech dishes were a lot better than those big old ugly analog dishes from back in the day....."Searching for satellite signal....please wait"....."aquiring information from satellite....this may take a few minutes"....01%....4 minutes later...23%...."lol

Funny story. Wachovia Bank just converted to Wells Fargo in my area and they came in and remodeled the place. They hung a hugh flat screen on the wall behind the counter for their customer infomercials. The second day they were open as WF I had to do some banking so, even though it was rainings cats and dogs, I drove over. When I got to the counter and took a look at the screen there was that familiar blue screen and the satellite number was #121, that old Dishnet standby. I said "Get used to it guys, it will become very familiar to you." Every time it rains or a cat pees they'll see that screen.

It has rained in Kentucky almost every day for what seems like forever. (3 weeks) However since my satellite stuff is too messy I got kicked to the basement from the ball and chain.​

Lots of fun yelling up the stairs uh did your dish network go out again? Well I’ll be watching tv down stairs. LOL!!! :)

Another night of rainfade

With the excessive heat lately we had a round of storms that that just went through. Like clockwork Direct went out. I was watching the bud but had to check Direct, 771 searching for signal. H2H 99Q, I guess you just can't stop 12 feet of mighty C band :D

I should ask my neighbors if they had DN reception problems since yesterday. It's been raining a lot here especially this morning. Of course, my C-band works just fine. One of these days I'll get my 90 cm dish up and running again to see what impact rain fade has on it.

Looking at your Direct TV picture I do note a lot of orbs around your place. Do they just
show up when you tune in Direct? :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)