Rain Fade in Effect

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have been a "pizza" dish subscriber for quite a few years. Many years before, I was a cable subscriber. The pizza dish (Bell) will go out occasionally, but only in the heaviest of downpours. The C-Band dish never goes out. When cable would go out, it would be for a much longer period of time than the small blips in satellite signal that Bell experiences. I love my C-Band!

they always claim 99% signal reliability. i guess that claim may be true in a dry area with little rain. If pizza dish is so great wonder why cable headends dont have a mini ku band simulsat? LOL

they always claim 99% signal reliability
if you think about how many minutes are in a year the few minutes someone might have rain fade does make the 99% reliability correct

Interesting this past Saturday we had a rain storm. Directv trucking along. 30" dish on 97W signal kaput

Certain parts of the country get hammered more than others. Those area's like where I live and others can only rely on C band if they want to watch during a good downpour and storm. Ice is actually lucky that he don't live farther south, he must be in a good area. Your always welcome Ice to see what happens down my way :(.

Whats funny is when I talked with Dish Network a while back for giggles, they wanted to install me on the eastern arc due to rain fade in my area with the western arc. That proves there is a problem with SW here and storms rolling through.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD I lost my Directv signal....hey maybe I'll watch KU
Nope no signal on KU

Oh goody my Directv is back after 2 minutes.....yet KU is still out...9 minutes later ;)

now KU came back....damn that was out for 11 minutes

Damn last night I had rain fade on my KU system with it cutting in and out for 45 minutes...when I wanted to watch the hockey game :mad:
Directv worked just fine.

Oh and before someone says it...the dishes were aimed in the same vicinity

Ice your comparing a 100 watt bird KU to a DBS bird 200 watts. That is a 3 db difference which is like doubling the signal. My Ku goes out here with Direct. Attenuation is so high here that the 3db margin is not enough headroom. I said it before and I'll say it again its the nature of the beast at my location and others too. As far as your hockey game goes you should have watched it on C band . It would have stayed up :)

Damn last night I had rain fade on my KU system with it cutting in and out for 45 minutes...when I wanted to watch the hockey game :mad:
Directv worked just fine.

Oh and before someone says it...the dishes were aimed in the same vicinity

It was putting you in the penalty box for comparing it with Direct TV.:D

Candid

nope. The feed came in fine before the rain came through.
Then it went kaput. Even after the dark clouds had rolled through it still was low. Had to stop raining for it to come back to a respectable level

I really don't like to beat up Direct and it seems like I do I'm sure. But when you want to watch something or especially record it and it goes out cause of rain it kinda pisses you off.. Especially after all the years of not having to deal with that with C band master subs. I got Direct to watch the channels Motorola refuses us to get access too on C band. I really didn't expect to have so many problems with Direct as I do but it's a reality. What you experienced with your hockey game Ice is what I have many times sitting down to watch Direct when the weather is foul. It gets old paying for something with that performance and told just accept it. Maybe if its free I can't bitch but when I'm paying thats a different story. EVIL Motorola is the culprit here for driving another good thing into the ground. Didn't help to have Charlie and his in bed partners over the years steal 90% of the C band subs away. K bands are inferior to C band when it comes to reliability. Why do you think HITS changed from ku to C, broadcasters don't stand for it.

Last edited:
nope. The feed came in fine before the rain came through.
Then it went kaput. Even after the dark clouds had rolled through it still was low. Had to stop raining for it to come back to a respectable level

If the signal quality remains low for a significant time after the supposed cause is gone
cables and connections need to be checked for leaks.

Over here I get an outage that kills everything occasionally. AM, FM, Broadcast TV & Satellite of all forms. Only other odd thing beyond the radio silence is the horrible screeching sound coming from the AM radios only. Any ideas?

If the signal quality remains low for a significant time after the supposed cause is gone
cables and connections need to be checked for leaks.

wasn't that...cables are all good. This happens once in a while when the rain goes through it takes a while to come back depending on feed :)

DirecTV Rain fade here this evening in upstate NY. Moderate thunderstorm moving through. C band still working (wish they had full discovery!).
Noticed that when the HD goes out the SD still lasts a while longer. Also seems back when I had the old self installed DirecTV( single sat.) system it would only go out during a monsoon style downpour, wondering if the new multi sat system compromises on signal strength too much?

Direct's HD is on ka band which has 3 times more attenuation then ku. Using a multiple feed on a dish will attenuate signal. I have a 90 cm pointed at 101 alone and it still goes out. I think when I did the math you need a 20 foot dish to give you close to 100% up time. Could you see Direct retrofitting all subscribers with 20 foot dishes.:eek:

Direct out again.

Pouring buckets right now, Direct once again 771 gone! I have DMX on in the background as I work on X4 99 Q. DirecTv is really useless with this rainfade crap. 3 days of crap in in about 2 weeks. I don't know where the hell they get that 99% uptime. I'm really contemplating suspending my Direct in the summer months during my contract period and going full H2H.

Last edited:
Pouring buckets right now, Direct once again 771 gone! I have DMX on in the background as I work on X4 99 Q. DirecTv is really useless with this rainfade crap. 3 days of crap in in about 2 weeks. I don't know where the hell they get that 99% uptime. I'm really contemplating suspending my Direct in the summer months during my contract period and going full H2H.

DO IT!!!

The only thing is I want my contract to expire ASAP, if I suspend my service it prolongs it.. Next month I have 1 year left.. I will not pay the early termination fee's. Thats $20.00 a month for nothing. For $29.99 I will be getting there family package vs paying them almost $70.00 for choice xtra like I have now for that $29.99. Not a lot in it but it's better than paying Direct $20.00 for nothing. Funny how they force you into contracts so you can't walk away scott free when you find out the pitfalls of the service. I guess thats the only way they can make money. I'll never understand how people can spend $150 a month for multi room DVR's and the like. Those costs are crazy. Then again maybe I got use to the low costs, quality, and choice that the bud always had.:)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)