Rain Fade Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pOiNTBLaNK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
It has been raining quite a bit here in Miami the last few days and my VOOM has really taking a sh*t when it rains.

Should VOOM be responsible with installing a bigger sat to accomidate my rain fade problem or am I S.O.L?

Summer is around the corner and summer in miami = a lot of rain.

I really dont want to be without TV everytime it rains.... :mad:

Mine has taking a hit today for about 15 minutes. We are having black clouds in my area. Either call VOOM or send Joe Harkins an email about this.

mine too still the same since this weekend.spoke with installer and they are not offering the bigger dish.they are going to readjust on5/8.

pointblank, central fl too, rain fade issues. i decided to start calling in every time i loose signal - this weekend incl monday. They will get tired of hearing from us and authorize the 30" or i will get tired of their lazy ways and spend another approx $70 incl shipping. Apparently, they have started paying attention to call ins as of the third call they are trying/waiting for installs to approve 30". i would start call-ins immediately as they have access log to every complaint you make. i'll get back to you in the s fl voom zone - k?
dave

We got a lot of rain here in Tampa yesterday, so I sent Joe this email:
"Joe,

Hi, I got your name from the satelliteguys.us forum. My new
installation for VOOM is dropping out every time it rains, even in light
rains. The OTA is fine for the most part, but the VOOM signal drops out
completely. I would like to see if I could get a 30" dish to deal with
the rain. I am in Florida and it is only going to get worse as the
summer progresses. Also, the installer (who was very nice by the way,
but not overly experienced w/VOOM) did not ground the dish or the OTA
antenna."

and this AM I got:
"I'll arrange a service call to install a bigger dish and ground your system.

Joe"

what service!

BTW, it had dropped out in the lighter stuff too, I was just reminded of it yesterday.

Joe Harkins took care of my rain fade problem by having my installer replace my original dish with a new 30" dish that seems to have taken care of all my problems. No signal loss this past weekend during drizzle and light rain. Haven't been home during hard rain as yet to see If all is well there. Good luck and just let Voom know you want a larger dish, you'll eventually get one as they seem to be trying to do their very best to make their customers satisfied.

How do I get in touch with Joe Harkins. I live in Florida also and have talked to VOOM and they said there is nothing they can do for me at this time. :no

Terry

TSmith said:
How do I get in touch with Joe Harkins. I live in Florida also and have talked to VOOM and they said there is nothing they can do for me at this time. :no

Terry

"Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>

I called Voom and got 30" dish approval immediately and installer has them in stock. Should get it installed this week. Installer was to come today but blew me off for Sears.

Bill

it rained cats and dogs this weekend in atlanta, my service was also gone. I will call voom tomorrow and inquire about a bigger dish.

I hope the 30" dish your having installed is sturdier than the one I got, because I went from rain fade problems to wind problems. A 10 to 15 mile an hour wind would move the dish around to much to keep a steady signal, got a lot of picture breakups.

I put my 18" dish back in place of the 30" because I would only loose the signal in a hard rain but the 30" would breakup everytime the wind would blow.

Cliff said:
I hope the 30" dish your having installed is sturdier than the one I got, because I went from rain fade problems to wind problems. A 10 to 15 mile an hour wind would move the dish around to much to keep a steady signal, got a lot of picture breakups.

I put my 18" dish back in place of the 30" because I would only loose the signal in a hard rain but the 30" would breakup everytime the wind would blow.

My installer installed 3 guy wires in a tripop configuration to anchor a 30" dish to my roof. He used heavy picture hanging wire. The 30" dish will not move at all.

Shelly

Cliff said:

My 30" dish is on a simple mounting pole up on the roof. I get terrible winds here sometimes, and usually have lots of wind here all the time, and I have *no* trouble with it causing any problems. My dish is very secure! I know cuz I put it up myself. If your dish is moving in the wind, you should call back your installers, cuz they did a poor job!

Well I will let you know how my 30" performs. Got it installed today. It's cloudy and am get 97 quality and 75 power. much better than my 18" and it seems the picture is sharper :)

Bill

I'm getting Voom installed on Monday and hope that I don't have rain fade problems with the 18 inch dish because my Homeowners Association doesn't allow any dishes larger than that.