Blue static on screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pamplona

Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
I have a samsung DLP HLM507W with both a DVI and Component (RGB)connections to the Zoom Box. When viewing the picture with the DVI I seem to be getting blue static on the screen when changing channels. And, when I am viewing any channel, some parts of the background exhibit areas that are highlighted in blue static. This happens intermittently, one day it's there the next day it's gone. Also, there is no issue using the Component. Any insight?

Bad DVI cable? Connection not tight? The intermittent part seems very weird. Maybe after checking for tight connections you could try a different DVI cable. Most places will give you a 30-day MBG if it doesn't solve the problem.

Pamplona said:
I have a samsung DLP HLM507W with both a DVI and Component (RGB)connections to the Zoom Box. When viewing the picture with the DVI I seem to be getting blue static on the screen when changing channels. And, when I am viewing any channel, some parts of the background exhibit areas that are highlighted in blue static. This happens intermittently, one day it's there the next day it's gone. Also, there is no issue using the Component. Any insight?

While connecting through DVI did you try to cycle between DVI inputs and component input using the DLP remote control. I think it has to do with a synch problem between the DVI of the Samsung and the stb. I have a DLP but I did not connect through DVI because it was given me problems connecting through DVI. Maybe I should try again this week.

Bad cable, or maybe not the right 'type' of DVI.

I bought 2 DVI cables from NewEgg, both of them had this problem, used the el cheapo that came with my LCD monitor and problem went away. Both cables however worked fine on my LCD monitor.

Mine was the same way, sometimes zero problems, sometimes real bad. Eventually it got bad enough that the HDCP would not work and I ended up with snow.

This didn't happen on my Voom box but on my HD931 DVD player but its the same symptom/result.

I have the same model and don't get this problem using DVI. Make sure you have your Voom box set to 1080i mode this should clear up the problem you are having. The 1080i mode on the Voom receiver is the top light. To adjust this open the panel at the bottom right corner and hold the red button to cycle through the modes.

Top light 1080i
Second 720p
third 480p
fourth 480i
All lights is native mode

I have my box set to Auto to my PJ via DVI and when the channel rez changes between 720p and 1080i, my pj sometimes displays "snow" briefly while it resync the signal, could this be what you are seeing? As stated above, try leaving your stb in a set rez and see if that fixes it.

Yes, I think what you are experiencing is the same as the "snow" problem reported by others. There is a known issue in current version: when you switch from one resolution to another (e.g. by changing channels in native resolution mode), the box looses output signal for a couple of seconds. Depending on the type of your TV and connection, the lost signal may appear as black screen, as white screen with "snow", or as blue screen on some TVs.

The workaround is to switch the box to a fixed-resolution mode, e.g. 1080i.

Isn't the snow HDCP renegotiating?

Snow is what you get when HDCP doesn't authenticate. I get it once in a while while switching channels also.

The blue lines have nothing to do with the res, be it 720p or 1080i, its a bad cable.

The snow or blue screen or whatever is what your display is setup to show whenever you've lost a signal. My pj shows snow because there is still a signal but it is resyncing to the different rez. If I lost a signal altogether, it would go to a blank, black screen.

I used an InFocus PJ from work and it was a pain in the butt, if I lost a signal for even a moment, I would get a blue screen and it would take up to 10 seconds to resync. I had an issue with a particular DVD that did this, I had to end up viewing it via the S-Video input to avoid the signal sync loss that was coming over component.

Thanks for the feedback....

Since the install I have set the STB resolution to 1080i. I checked my connections and they are secure (I even disconnected them and blew into them to make sure there wasn't any dust). I have switched back and forth between component throughout a movie but the DVI connection is still producting the static. My next step is to buy a new DVI cable and try that. This will happen next week and I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)