Raleigh HD locals...no FOX..no CBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It might be like with the St. Louis & Birmingham markets where D*'s spotbeam doesn't reach the entire DMA. It might look like they'll never be added.

Anyone in Raleigh/Durham have the mpeg4 stutter problem on their HD locals?

Thanks,
Ted

ncted said:
Anyone in Raleigh/Durham have the mpeg4 stutter problem on their HD locals?

Thanks,
Ted
Yes. I recently called about this and they had no information and told me they would send a tech out. Really not a big deal since I get the OTA's but actually this weekend I am getting an HR20 and since it does not have OTA ability at this time from what I have heard it is a big deal. I really thought the area would have CBS and FOX by now but I was definitely wrong on that one. Anybody know what the hold up is??

Any Update

So this is still an issue? I scheduled for my mpeg 4 update on Friday and I was unaware of this situation. I feel this is very misleading by DTV.

The holdup continues to be the size of the spot-beam from what Chuck deCourt, station manager at WRAL says.

Ted

dshedrick said:
Great, now I do need the OTA interface to function on the HR20. I'm curious to see if that happens on 10/1 as stated in another topic.
I am in the same boat, I really hope 10/1 the OTA interface gets enabled. I hope the can fix the stuttering problem as well, will not effect me too much once the OTA is fixed, but many others only have that choice.

Be sure to let us know how the HR20s you guys are getting work with the Raleigh HD locals.

Thanks!
Ted

ncted said:
Be sure to let us know how the HR20s you guys are getting work with the Raleigh HD locals.

Thanks!
Ted

I will keep you posted

Next week I'll be moving to the Raleigh area (Wake Forest). I've been considering asking for the HR20 when I move, but might wait if I'm able to get decent OTA signal through my H20.

What's OTA reception like in-general for that area? I'd love to have an HR20, but if I'm better-off using OTA for my locals....

In general reception tends to be good since it is relatively flat. I however, live in a dip in the terrain 28 miles from the main transmission towers, and I have trouble receiving OTA signals reliably. PBS is only 13 miles away from me from a different direction, and it comes in fine.

Ted

ncted said:

Thanks!
Ted
Got my HR20 on Saturday. Did not go as smooth as it should have but no big deal. First I had and 8-12 appnt. but the installer called and said they messed his scheduling up and it would be later when he got there. I did not mind since it gave me a chance to get some stuff done. Well after he installed the box he told me sometimes there is problems activating these new ones. He called and D* systems were down for an upgrade. I basically told him he could go I will call if it does not come online soon. So I did like 4 times, each person asking me for the same info like the serial number and the access card. The serial number is under the box the CSR need when I moved the box something seemed to mess up with the hdmi conncetion (which I have through a DVI adapter). After messing around (jiggling the cable) I got it to work. Then stayed on the phone and finally got all my programming up. HD locals did not display, finally a CSR who knew what she was doing took care of me. The HD locals look really good but on NBC I still noticed a stuttering problem, ABC had no stuttering problem. How I long for me OTAs, hopefully the software update comes soon. My SD definition channels look really good now but also the installer found a slight problem of how my last installer did some wiring he said. Now my signal is up in the high 90's where before it was high 70's. So I am not sure if the box is the reason for the better PQ. It is probably just me too but my HD mpeg2 channels looked really good to me also. The features on the box are just like any DVR I have used. All and all from my short experience with it, I really like the receiver and cannot wait for my OTA software soon

ncted said:
The holdup continues to be the size of the spot-beam from what Chuck deCourt, station manager at WRAL says.

Ted

Chuck is a bit of an ahole when it comes to waivers and such.

Its like beating a dead horse.

In wilmington WLMP is CBS low power vhf transmitter. Pretty much non-existant.

Will not grant waivers, Not even an SD CBS signal in this area that is remotely obtainable. Closest is greenville, washingnc, newbern dma. No love for chuck from the Wilmington Crowd.

Any idea why I see the stuttering problem on the mpeg 4 NBC channel but on the ABC mpeg 4 channel I do not? Before I had the HR20 I had the H20 and seen the stuttering problem on both channels

Last edited:
ncted said:
NBC is 1080i and ABC is 720p?

Ted
Anything I record from an mpeg 4 channel such as NBC does not have that stuttering effect. The more I use the box the more I enjoy it.

Stuttering in Colorado

Regarding the stuttering problem... I've had my HR20 for just under 2 weeks now. On Tuesday evening while we were watching the local (Denver) NBC channel we got the stuttering effect. None of the other HD channels appeared to have the problem. Live TV exhibited it as did the recorded NBC programs from Tuesday evening. Wed morning the stuttering effect was still present on NBC only. I called DirecTV yesterday to see what was up. I felt like it must be the HR20, but they thought (surprise!) it must've been the local NBC channels HD transmission. They escalated the issue at DirecTV promising a response within 24 hours. Still have a couple of hours to go but I've heard nothing yet. Interestingly enough though the stuttering problem was gone Wednesday evening and is still gone.

We love our HDTV programming, but my confidence in the HR20 at this point is limited. My old Hughes HDVR2 TiVo box is a much better DVR from an operational point of view, but I'm willing to live with the HR20's quirks to be able to watch HD local programming.

I had an H20 before my HR20 and had the same stuttering affect so dont give up now on the HR20. I have asked DTV several times about this they seemed concerned but really never know exactly what it is. I explain the OTA does not have this problem. I am on my second HR20(first had a bad HDMI port) this second one is giving me fits with dropping tuner 2 on the satellite 119 which is my national HD stations (70-79) again they have no idea and are just sending a tech out.

Was WRAL the affiliate D* or USSB carried nationally for a while before LIL's started?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR20 Networking Questions

N.Y. HD channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)