Random Pixelation even with clear skies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atistang

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Ohio
Had direct tv for about a month now and have had pixelation a few times (once or twice a week). when it does it sometimes it will go on for up to an hour.

I have an HR 24 and two other regular non dvr hd boxes

the dish they put up is the newest slimline dish. I had seen people say the most important thing is to get the mast plumb. According to the built in mast level the mast is not plumb by any means. I haven't messed with the mast yet because i'm sure i will need to adjust everything else once the mast moves.

so can anyone tell me what i need to adjust the dish? i've seen people talk about doing "sweeps" what does this mean exactly?

or if anyone has a link to a good guide on how to adjust the dish

and is the built in level on the mast accurate? or should i has something else to determine if it is plumb or not?

postlevel.jpgThe mast may be plumb, but I wouldn't trust the bubble level in it. Use a post level like the one in the picture instead. Check the adjustment settings for skew and elevation. Then point the dish according to the azimuth numbers. Sweeping is slowly moving the dish, giving time for the changes to register in the menu. The bottom line is this should have been done when your dish was installed. I would call Directv and have them fix it.

View attachment 75518 The bottom line is this should have been done when your dish was installed. I would call Directv and have them fix it.
I would rather just do it myself, chances are i'll get another guy that will get it "good enough". Plus i like to learn things and get a better understanding on how things work.

I know the elevation was off based on what direct tv's website says it should be. But i want to make sure i got everything i need to adjust it correctly before i move anything

With it being in service for only a month are you sure the dish is off? Is it locals that do it? What's your signal levels?

With it being in service for only a month are you sure the dish is off? Is it locals that do it? What's your signal levels?

locals do it too.most of the signals are usually in the 90's but the ones for 99(s) range from 20 to 90

atistang said:
locals do it too.most of the signals are usually in the 90's but the ones for 99(s) range from 20 to 90

That's normal. Sounds like signals are good. Possibly a bad LNB. It's pretty common to see this issue with a bad LNB. I would have a tech come out and take a look. Messing with the dish is going to get you no where at this point

My channels do the same. 212 (NFL network) has been doing it to me for months. I swapped the LNB and problem solved. As for other channels pixelating I don't want to say its common but it does happen sometimes. I see some form of it at least once a day but I noticed it on dish as well

That's normal. Sounds like signals are good. Possibly a bad LNB. It's pretty common to see this issue with a bad LNB. I would have a tech come out and take a look. Messing with the dish is going to get you no where at this point

My channels do the same. 212 (NFL network) has been doing it to me for months. I swapped the LNB and problem solved. As for other channels pixelating I don't want to say its common but it does happen sometimes. I see some form of it at least once a day but I noticed it on dish as well

what is the LNB exactly?

also the thing that goes in line with the coax that is to power the dish (thats what the tech said it was for) is about 2ft downstream from my main box (the hr24). every diagram shows this is suppose to be going into the splitter and not just in line anywhere. Does it matter where it is at? Reason i ask is i see a lot of noise(thats what i call it) in the black colors. say i'm watching a movie and its a dark scene, the darks look like something from a internet streaming video if that makes sense.

atistang said:
what is the LNB exactly?

also the thing that goes in line with the coax that is to power the dish (thats what the tech said it was for) is about 2ft downstream from my main box (the hr24). every diagram shows this is suppose to be going into the splitter and not just in line anywhere. Does it matter where it is at? Reason i ask is i see a lot of noise(thats what i call it) in the black colors. say i'm watching a movie and its a dark scene, the darks look like something from a internet streaming video if that makes sense.

The LNB is way people refer to as the eye of the dish. The power inserter is hooked up correctly or you wouldn't see anything on the screen except 771a (and error code) I don't ever stream video so I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. Is it hooked up HDMI and have you checked all the settings on the tv?

The LNB is way people refer to as the eye of the dish. The power inserter is hooked up correctly or you wouldn't see anything on the screen except 771a (and error code) I don't ever stream video so I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. Is it hooked up HDMI and have you checked all the settings on the tv?

yep, hdmi, settings on the tv are the same as they were with cable.

its weird, some channels do it, and some dont. like if i'm watching something on speed channel it will be very obvious, but on hbo its not even there. idk, maybe its normal for satellite?

Satellite is different then cable. It has some weird corks in it at times. Directv receivers are known for weird things at times as well. You could possibly have bad LNB like said before, a bad line, a bad connector, a bad drop from the dish. It could even be something as simple as the power inserter is defective. But it's in your best interest to have a tech come out. It's they could possibly find a problem or swap the LNB and resolve the issue. It's really hard when it comes to pixelating to five advice when your signals are as high as they are. Everybody would lie if they say they've never seen this issue from time to time but happening has frequently has you state would warrant a service call IMO

If its within a month of install get a tech out there ASAP before your 90 day warranty is over.

Soooo many people deal with issues like this and then call 4 months in and expect us to do something but get pissed when they need to pay 49.95, when they could have gotten it for free if they would have called earlier.

If its within a month of install get a tech out there ASAP before your 90 day warranty is over.

Soooo many people deal with issues like this and then call 4 months in and expect us to do something but get pissed when they need to pay 49.95, when they could have gotten it for free if they would have called earlier.
i signed up for their protection plan, so even if it was out of warranty this would still be covered right?

OSD771 said:
Yeah protection plan covers anything that could go wrong. Except bad weather. ;)

Or you want to move a receiver, or your dog ate the cable, or you moved your dish, or well you get the point. I call it Directv's pointless plan. They'll offer it when you call for a service call and if you accept it they'll waive the service charge fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts