Random stuff

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Pre-Super Bowl edition...

1. Only one more week of Inside the NFL on Showtime. I'm going to miss it. Great stuff this week, with Phil Simms trying on Kurt Warner's gloves and describing (and showing) what it's like to throw in them.

2. Too bad it's not a three and a half hour Bruce Springsteen concert with a short football game at halftime.

3. A Cardinal victory punches Warner's ticket to Canton. He also seems to be one of the nicest people in the game. Perhaps he should have been a hockey player.

4. Good thing for DirecTV DVR. Wipeout is on ABC at halftime, but Bruce live is something you do not miss.

5. Will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald can jump over Polamalu like that.

6. Duke - Wake was fun, but it really didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That's what makes college basketball so much different from college football. Texas - Texas Tech was fun, and it meant something. That's why so many basketball fans dont' start paying attention until March.

7. How great would it be if NOBODY signed Manny.

8. Nobody has signed Varitek either. His skills have seriously deteriorated, but if you need someone to try to start a fight with a player while wearing full catcher's gear, including the mask, he's your guy.

9. The people going crazy here over Torre's book and the aftermath should really watch those Spanish novellas. Same manufactured drama with much hotter women. Perhaps hot women is not their thing, though, and they'd rather ponder A-Rod.

10. I am SO ready for warm weather.

11. No Strike Zone Channel this year on DirecTV because MLB Network is doing something similar. I hope they do as good a job as DirecTV. I loved watching the SZC.

12. Miami Hurricanes football is in crisis again. Yawn. Somehow this is never news.

13. Good for Chauncey Billups, making the all-star team. I still won't watch, but I'm glad for him.

14. Carmelo is back, but during his absence the Nuggets found out Dan Kleiza has game.

15. Home court is going to be huge in the Eastern Conference. Big win for the Magic last night.

16. Hope you guys are watching the Australian Open. Great tennis, especially the women.

17. When did St. John's start wearing blue uniforms? Who thought that was a good idea? As bad as we've been the last ten years, we're still in the top ten or so in all-time wins. We have tradition. And it doesn't include blue.

18. Just watched the season finale of Dexter. Awesome. I have three episodes left of The Shield, I think three of Friday Night Lights, one Californication...all great shows.

19. LOST SPOILERS AND SPECULATION...I think the woman pointing the gun at Daniel Faraday was his mother. My guess. Did Desmond name his baby after Drive Shaft Charlie, or Grandpa Charles?

20. It's still January, and I'm already sick of riding the bike on the indoor trainer.

21. My 12 week training program for my next race begins Monday March 9. Until then it's more maintenance.

22. The Rangers are the worst 29-17-4 team in the history of sports. I still say they may not make the playoffs.

23. Pete Carroll could not have handled Matt Sanchez leaving any worse. He sounded like a little kid who lost a toy, and he ruined Sanchez's press conference.

24. My relatively new boyfriend is a keeper. Great guy in so many ways. Going to Texas to meet his family in the Spring...that should be interesting!

25. Steelers 21, Cardinals 17. Can't wait to see the commercials!

Sandra

Last edited:

1. Only one more week of Inside the NFL on Showtime. I'm going to miss it. Great stuff this week, with Phil Simms trying on Kurt Warner's gloves and describing (and showing) what it's like to throw in them.

I never cared for the show when it was on HBO. I havn't seen it on Showtime. Is it much different?

2. Too bad it's not a three and a half hour Bruce Springsteen concert with a short football game at halftime.

As long as he's playing his older songs.

3. A Cardinal victory punches Warner's ticket to Canton. He also seems to be one of the nicest people in the game. Perhaps he should have been a hockey player.

I think he's in without a victory. He's had a remarkable career out of nowhere.

4. Good thing for DirecTV DVR. Wipeout is on ABC at halftime, but Bruce live is something you do not miss.

Whats Wipeout?

Let's hope! :)

I'd take him back in Cleveland!

I could use a quick thaw, too. The Ice Dams on my roof are starting to worry me.

13. Good for Chauncey Billups, making the all-star team. I still won't watch, but I'm glad for him.

I liked the move for the Pistons at the time, but it sure isn't looking too wise now.

15. Home court is going to be huge in the Eastern Conference. Big win for the Magic last night.

It was painful for me watching the 4th Quarter last night. I'm still very confident in the Cavs.....especially when they get back to full strength.

16. Hope you guys are watching the Australian Open. Great tennis, especially the women.

Tennis? :)

19. LOST SPOILERS AND SPECULATION...I think the woman pointing the gun at Daniel Faraday was his mother. My guess. Did Desmond name his baby after Drive Shaft Charlie, or Grandpa Charles?

I agree. I also think Charles Widmore is his father. Baby was named after Drive Shaft Charlie.

8. Nobody has signed Varitek either. His skills have seriously deteriorated, but if you need someone to try to start a fight with a player while wearing full catcher's gear, including the mask, he's your guy

Yup, that was pretty bush league.

But not half as bad as A-Fraud's bitch slap to Bronson Arroyo. ;)

8. Nobody has signed Varitek either. His skills have seriously deteriorated, but if you need someone to try to start a fight with a player while wearing full catcher's gear, including the mask, he's your guy

Yup, that was pretty bush league.

But not half as bad as A-Fraud's bitch slap to Bronson Arroyo. ;)

I'm not one of those people you'll find here who defend their teams with 15,000 posts on one subject. I just want A-Rod to be part of a Yankee championship someday. If he finds a way to hit in October, that may happen. I'll let the drama department here worry about the other stuff.

Sandra

I'm not one of those people you'll find here who defend their teams with 15,000 posts on one subject. I just want A-Rod to be part of a Yankee championship someday. If he finds a way to hit in October, that may happen.

Sandra

Well like I said, THIS could be the year.

10. I am SO ready for warm weather. Beautiful weather down here...WHAT possibly can be wrong with the weather?;)

12. Miami Hurricanes football is in crisis again. Yawn. Somehow this is never news.
What "crisis" are you talking about? You guys up north really need to stop listening to the hating ESPN when it comes to The U news. Trying do a little research in the South Florida newspapers on occassion...it does wonders to CORRECT any of the northern tabloid made up news you guys hear about the south. There is NO CRISIS down here. Believe me...;)

Sandra

;)

I agree. I hope this Super Bowl isn't the snoozer it's setting up to be.

I'm with Skyhi. Win or lose, he's in IMO.

The only thing I'm watching on ABC that day is the Cavs vs. Pistons game at 2:30pm.

Both great athletes. One with better hair than the other.

6. Duke - Wake was fun, but it really didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That's what makes college basketball so much different from college football. Texas - Texas Tech was fun, and it meant something. That's why so many basketball fans dont' start paying attention until March.

I agree. Wake me up in March.

9. The people going crazy here over Torre's book and the aftermath should really watch those Spanish novellas. Same manufactured drama with much hotter women. Perhaps hot women is not their thing, though, and they'd rather ponder A-Rod.

The whole thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.

I'm just ready for it to stop snowing. We need only a few more inches of snow to break the all-time snowiest January in Cleveland history!
It's been brutal here.

What'd they do now?

Congrats to Chauncey. He deserved it.

15. Home court is going to be huge in the Eastern Conference.

Yes it is.

My cousin, the journalist at Tennis.com from Forrest Hills in Queens is all in a tizzy over this tourney.

18. Just watched the season finale of Dexter. Awesome. I have three episodes left of The Shield, I think three of Friday Night Lights, one Californication...all great shows.

I got Dexter and Mad Men on my Queue at Blockbuster Online.

23. Pete Carroll could not have handled Matt Sanchez leaving any worse. He sounded like a little kid who lost a toy, and he ruined Sanchez's press conference.

I agree. I lost all respect for Petey after that temper tantrum. What a jerk face.

24. My relatively new boyfriend is a keeper. Great guy in so many ways. Going to Texas to meet his family in the Spring...that should be interesting!

Just tell me his name isn't "Cash"?! (FNL reference ;))

Go Cardinals.

That would be fun.

Those folks aren't really fans. Wed's game was a great game and proof of why the ACC is the best conference for basketball. Sorry Big East. And if you don't think these games matter, and teams like Notre Dame seem to think they don't, they could be in for a rude awakening on Selection Sunday.

Federer-Nadal final will be worth staying up for. The men's tourney has been good. The women, sorry Sandra, have been a joke. It's Serena and lots of poseurs.

17. When did St. John's start wearing blue uniforms? Who thought that was a good idea? As bad as we've been the last ten years, we're still in the top ten or so in all-time wins. We have tradition. And it doesn't include blue.

If you can change your nickname why not the unis?

I'm picking the Steelers too, and I can't wait to see the commercials as well. I could care less about who's got dancing bears in their ads, IMO SB ads are a complete waste of $$$. That being said I have no doubt that some company that is in need of a bailout will be all over the SB with stupid ads and I can't wait to see who did it.

As long as he's playing his older songs.
Word is this will be Springsteen's halftime set:

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Born To Run
Working on a Dream
Glory Days

Word is this will be Springsteen's halftime set:

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Born To Run
Working on a Dream
Glory Days

I heard an interview this morning on Springsteen and how he's going to select his set. Any set list out there is complete speculation....

Asked who ultimately decides what songs will be played, Springsteen staked his claim as leader of the band.

"I'm the Boss! The Boss decides what we play!" he yelled. "Nobody else decides. People suggest. Hint. Beg. Cajole. But I decide."

I heard an interview this morning on Springsteen and how he's going to select his set. Any set list out there is complete speculation....

Asked who ultimately decides what songs will be played, Springsteen staked his claim as leader of the band.

"I'm the Boss! The Boss decides what we play!" he yelled. "Nobody else decides. People suggest. Hint. Beg. Cajole. But I decide."

Heard the same this this morning...

Just taking the Cardinals to the Super Bowl is HOF-worthy in my eyes

You're a St. John's fan. You went through the same thing when they beat Georgetown back in 1985.

Where's Bill when you need him?

If they looked more like Sofia Vergara, then things would be different.

When the NCAA Basketball tournaments end, the snow thaws away

14. Carmelo is back, but during his absence the Nuggets found out Dan Kleiza has game.
Mark it dowb- Denver finally reaches the second round. Hell, they could get to the West Finals.

Atlanta could have 4 home games in a playoff series. Detroit may have to be the road team all the way.

22. The Rangers are the worst 29-17-4 team in the history of sports. I still say they may not make the playoffs.
The playoffs can mask any regular-season failures. Remember how we were burying the Cardinals in December?

Yeah, his most famous song in my opinion and he doesn't play it. PFFT!!

Born to Run is his most famous song. Born in the USA is definitely lower than fourth. Rosalita...Jungleland...The River...Thunder Road...Badlands...Prove it All Night...Fourth of July Asbury Park...The Promised Land...Tenth Avenue Freeze Out...Atlantic City...The Rising...Lucky Town...Hungry Heart...Backstreets...Candy's Room...Because the Night...so many contenders.

Born in the USA was badly misinterpreted because it sounded like an anthem. It's far from an anthem.

Sandra

Just tell me his name isn't "Cash"?! (FNL reference ;))

Cash? Is that the rodeo guy Tyra was following around? I still have 2-3 episodes to watch.

Surely you don't mean Smash? He's portrayed as a high school kid or just out of high school and um...no. Even though the actor himself is actually probably closer to my age than high school age.

Sandra

SuperBowl (your picks)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)