Random Thoughts

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Pre-Thanksgiving edition...it's been a while, so sit back relax, and prepare to be bored to tears!

1. No games yesterday for nieces/nephews, so it was wall-to-wall football from pre-game to Tony Dungy. An amazing day...made more amazing by the fact that instead of watching the Jets we went out (and then in!) for a romantic evening. Thank goodness. That team is as frustrating as it is annoying.

2. Anyone see the Rex Ryan/Adam Sandler piece on one of the pre-game shows? Ryan is going to be in a Sandler movie (coming out in June) where he plays a devout Patriot/Boston fan...even a Belicheck bobble-head doll on his desk, Bruin sweater on his office wall, etc....pretty funny.

3. So crazy watching Andrew bounce us back and forth between TEN GAMES in the early time slot. Why did the NFL put ten games on at 1PM and three games on at 4PM?

4. Fred Jackson of the Buffalo Bills played a true home game yesterday at the Cowboys. The house he grew up in was one of those torn down to build the new Jerry dome.

5. Is it too late for the Jets to get into the Luck sweepstakes?

6. Or the Eagles? Didn't you used to be Michael Vick? Jeez, hard to imagine a year ago at this time we were talking about his MVP candidacy. Ugly stuff out there.

7. And why on earth don't the Eagles put Asomugha on the other team's best receiver every week for the whole game? Are they afraid? I don't get it. Talk about a brutal investment. We're finding out.

8. My goodness, the Lions are becoming unlikeable outside of Detroit. It's a shame...they should be the kind of story the NFL gets caught up in.

9. Oregon/Stanford...WOW!!! Now THAT'S an exciting football game! You did not want to take your eyes off it for a second. I think Oregon is a different team now and would give LSU a heck of a run for their money.

10. I love Darren Thomas, the Oregon QB. Wow, what a game breaker!

11. OK, the Rangers are 9-3-3, and they play the Circus People under the Long Island Big Top tomorrow night. This has been the kind of game that, whenever you think we're headed North...we lose and slide back South. Let's see what happens here.

12. Breaking Bad....all you can say is oh my goodness. What an amazing season!

13. Anyone remember a movie from 1976 called Stay Hungry? Watched it last week. A very young Jeff Bridges, Sally Field (who gets nekked) and Ahnold (his first movie?). Good movie...but there is a two minute stretch near the end that needs to be discussed. One of those 'I don't believe what I just saw' things.

14. There is a thread for it, but it's wonderful that DirecTV now telecasts both Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada games, in their entirety...all the way through their terrific After Hours post game show. And don't turn the channel during commercials. DirecTV picks up the CBC feed from a TV station on Pince Edward Island. Some of the local commercials are pretty funny.

15. We're making plans to possibly go to Australia in January/February. I would not mind going to the South Pacific again, but my husband wants to go to Australia. Anybody been?

16. I think Uncle Phil made one of the conditions to his contributions to the University of Oregon's athletic department (which will probably approach $1 billion before you know it) that the cheerleaders have to wear skirts that are shorter than a stipper would wear. I mean, seriously...how do they even move around in them?

17. Anyone watch the game on the ship? How was it?

18. I did get home in time that night to watch the second half of Duke/Belmont. The ESPN announcers are spending so much time fawning over Duke/Coach K/Austin Rivers, that they barely notice Belmont is doing a heck of a job and hanging in there at Cameron. Not until very late did the announcers even acknowledge that there was another team on the court.

19. And...YES...Utah State! Beat a Jimmer-less BYU at the Spectrum, the most imposing home court advantage in college basketball. Six thousand students doing the 'Winning Team...Losing Team' chant toward the end of the game, with the requisite pointing at each team, has to be seen to be believed.

20. Crazy how the UFC fight on Saturday was on network TV, but Pacquiao-Marquez on pay per view. Is boxing ever on non-pay per view anymore? Thanks Don King, Bob Arum, etc.

21. When ESPN was showing the tunnel before the Nebraska-Penn State game, I thought for a second they were looking for Paterno. That would have been bizarre.

22. So no deal, players? This is getting baaaaaaaad. I think there is small hope for a settlement in January...and then that's it. I don't get what they're holding the deal up for...I really don't.

23. If the football game were at Wrigley Field, when the Buffalo Bill player gave the TD ball to the Cowboy cheerleader (his girlfriend), she would have been obligated to throw it back.

24. Really, Philly? Now you sign Papelbon? Isn't the city getting the point that their teams were more successful BEFORE they started signing every free agent? The guy's velocity is going down...

25. I want to ask all those SEC types who think the Bama/LSU was a great game because it was such an amazing defensive struggle. Did you also think the Seahawks/Browns 6-3 defensive struggle from last month was amazing? It wasn't. Nobody is clamoring for a rematch of that.

Sandra

Last edited:
6. Or the Eagles? Didn't you used to be Michael Vick? Jeez, hard to imagine a year ago at this time we were talking about his MVP candidacy. Ugly stuff out there.

Wasn't Vick 2nd or 3rd in the Madden Cover sweepstakes?

8. My goodness, the Lions are becoming unlikeable outside of Detroit. It's a shame...they should be the kind of story the NFL gets caught up in.

I wonder if Stafford, yanking the opposing player down by his head will draw a fine?

13. Anyone remember a movie from 1976 called Stay Hungry? Watched it last week. A very young Jeff Bridges, Sally Field (who gets nekked) and Ahnold (his first movie?). Good movie...but there is a two minute stretch near the end that needs to be discussed. One of those 'I don't believe what I just saw' things.

Before my time sweetheart. ;)

15. We're making plans to possibly go to Australia in January/February. I would not mind going to the South Pacific again, but my husband wants to go to Australia. Anybody been?

Never been to Aussie. My boo and I are going to Yellowstone next month and then Paris on the Spring. Have fun on your voyage!

20. Crazy how the UFC fight on Saturday was on network TV, but Pacquiao-Marquez on pay per view. Is boxing ever on non-pay per view anymore? Thanks Don King, Bob Arum, etc.

Didn't watch either. I'm still skeptical if UFC can ever become that big. It just seems way too violent for the average viewer.

Before my time sweetheart. ;)

LOL they made a new rule, HD...you're allowed to watch movies, even is they were made before you were born! You should at least check out Wizard of Oz!

Never been to Aussie. My boo and I are going to Yellowstone next month and then Paris on the Spring. Have fun on your voyage!

Awwww...your boo! How cute! I LOVE that!!!

Haven't given in yet...we still have to debate how much time we're going to spend with the looney aussies we met in Cabo. My husband still keeps up with them...

Sandra

Last edited:
5. Is it too late for the Jets to get into the Luck sweepstakes?
Yep :)

But it's the Dream Team

Yes, indeed! The Dirty Cats, anyone?

9. Oregon/Stanford...WOW!!! Now THAT'S an exciting football game! You did not want to take your eyes off it for a second. I think Oregon is a different team now and would give LSU a heck of a run for their money.
Unless you are an SEC fanboy! :) "Points, who needs points?"

It was awesome! Are you just catching up? it's been over for a month now.

Nope, have to put it in the queue.

Will go someday.

16. I think Uncle Phil made one of the conditions to his contributions to the University of Oregon's athletic department (which will probably approach $1 billion before you know it) that the cheerleaders have to wear skirts that are shorter than a stipper would wear. I mean, seriously...how do they even move around in them?
Who cares HOW they move? :)

17. Anyone watch the game on the ship? How was it?
Rocky? Dunno know, didn't watch.

22. So no deal, players? This is getting baaaaaaaad. I think there is small hope for a settlement in January...and then that's it. I don't get what they're holding the deal up for...I really don't.
Greed is bad. :(

25. I want to ask all those SEC types who think the Bama/LSU was a great game because it was such an amazing defensive struggle. Did you also think the Seahawks/Browns 6-3 defensive struggle from last month was amazing? It wasn't. Nobody is clamoring for a rematch of that.
"Points, who needs points?"

Sandra

:).

I doubt anyone is clamoring because no one bothered to watch those two bottom dwellers in the first place. :rolleyes:

#20. They still show some boxing matches on HBO and on Showtime and I even saw one fight on Epix (granted it was a bad one). Don't Know if ESPN or ESPN2 still has their Friday Night Fights or not but I never watched those anyway.

Haven't seen Breaking Bad yet, but I did notice it just came to Netflix (streaming).

I'm into American Horror story on FX. Tami Taylor (from FNL) plays one of the main leads. Check it out if you don't get nightmares. Very spooky!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)