Random thoughts after the League Division Series

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the League Division Series already over, the League Championship Series starting on Thursday, I'm ready for the bi-annual random thoughts!

(In light of A-Rod's stunning playoff performance- in a good way- I'm going with 13 random thoughts.)

1. Other than the Panthers/Cowboys game, every Monday night game has been entertaining so far.

2. From the perspective of a TV executive, there are no bad matchup possibilities in the WS- you have New York, Philadelphia, and two teams from Los Angeles.

3. It's not exactly a banner time for Buffalo sports- Bills are terrible, and Thomas Vanek is injured and will be out for a while. HD, as bad as the Browns have been at points this year- you do have the Buckeyes who are in the top 10.

4. Am I the only one who thinks that Carson Palmer is playing a bit better post-surfery than Tom Brady is so far?

5. If you could describe yourself in five words or less, what would it be? (Mine would be Loyal, Impatient Buffalo Sports Fan.)

6. Anyone still doubt me about when I said that Trent Edwards is a weak-armed wimp?

7. Who do you consider to be this site's most talkative member/members?

8. There are so many bad NFL teams right now, but the Lions are not in the conversation. Miracles do come true, Wozniak!

9. Had the Tigers won the one-game playoff, anyone think they would have at least extended the Yankees to game 4?

10. Barring a miracle, it looks like Buffalo will go 10 straight years without making the playoffs with no better record than 7-9. HD, your team did make the playoffs and have a 10-win season; my team doesn't even have anything to fondly remember. You'll at least remember the good times of 2007 (which included, yes, a win over my Bills). All we have is a decade of what-might-have beens.

11. Am I the only one who thinks the Lions are going to beat the Rams by three touchdowns?

12. Anyone like toffee?

13. What are your Halloween plans? I'm going to a college party, dressed as a combination of Jason Voorhees and the hockey player from hell.

1 - This is true.

2 - What is ironic is that Philadelphia, the 4th largest DMA, was treated in the first round as the "small market series", playing days, late nights, and such. And I am tired of Bud and the Bud apologists citing Minnesota as an example of a "small market". M-StP is the #15 DMA, with unquestonable claims to many significant subsidiary markets, and M-StP is a major corporate HQ. It is not a small market.

4 - No you are not.

5 - Sports fan.

8 - The NFL is really going to have to do something. IMHO, several owners have figured out that they can such and still make some money.

10 - I hate to say this, but after Wilson goes, all you may have left is memories and a trip up the QEW to see Toronto play.

13 - You know, when I was a kid, Halloween was a one-day holiday for kids. Now people put up decorations like its Christmas, for more than a month ahead. It is just different.

2. From the perspective of a TV executive, there are no bad matchup possibilities in the WS- you have New York, Philadelphia, and two teams from Los Angeles.

Agreed, but Philadelphiahas no national or historic following. Who is the best Philly ever? Here are the seven Phillies with their numbers retired:
Code:
Richie Ashburn
Jim Bunning
Mike Schmidt
Robin Roberts
Steve Carlton
Chuck Klein
Grover Cleveland Alexander
No one on that list is as interesting as Bob Uecker.

9. Had the Tigers won the one-game playoff, anyone think they would have at least extended the Yankees to game 4?

Well, there was no doubt in my mind that Minnesota would win at least one game.

13. What are your Halloween plans? I'm going to a college party, dressed as a combination of Jason Voorhees and the hockey player from hell.

I got a kick out of William Shatner going around wearing a William Shatner mask.

I grew up in a poor neighborhood. Nearly all the kids went out a twice, so that they could haul in twice as much candy.

My boyfriend wants me to go as Elvira. Not sure what to make of that...

Sandra

Last edited:
1. Other than the Panthers/Cowboys game, every Monday night game has been entertaining so far.

I still like the Sunday Night games better.

The dream matchup has to be the Dodgers vs. Yankees, but I'm personally rooting for a Yankee/Philly Matchup.

3. It's not exactly a banner time for Buffalo sports- Bills are terrible, and Thomas Vanek is injured and will be out for a while. HD, as bad as the Browns have been at points this year- you do have the Buckeyes who are in the top 10.

Buffalo and Cleveland are two cities that can definitely relate.

4. Am I the only one who thinks that Carson Palmer is playing a bit better post-surfery than Tom Brady is so far?

Don't forget Peyton Manning is now over a year removed from knee surgery himself. Although Palmer's injury and surgery was more serious, there's no doubt it takes time to recover, build confidence and get your timing back. Tom Brady is learning that this year.

5. If you could describe yourself in five words or less, what would it be? (Mine would be Loyal, Impatient Buffalo Sports Fan.)

Detailed, Organized, Passionate, Dedicated & Personable.

6. Anyone still doubt me about when I said that Trent Edwards is a weak-armed wimp?

I wonder if Terrelle Owens will be traded before the October 20th deadline?

10. Barring a miracle, it looks like Buffalo will go 10 straight years without making the playoffs with no better record than 7-9. HD, your team did make the playoffs and have a 10-win season; my team doesn't even have anything to fondly remember. You'll at least remember the good times of 2007 (which included, yes, a win over my Bills). All we have is a decade of what-might-have beens.

At least you guys have been to a Super Bowl. 'Tiss better to love and lost than to never have loved at all.

11. Am I the only one who thinks the Lions are going to beat the Rams by three touchdowns?

Only if Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford are healthy and play. The Rams are the worst team in the NFL right now.

12. Anyone like toffee?

No, but a local chocolate place in Cleveland is coming out with a limited release of "Chocolate Bark". It's basically a decadent treat of bacon covered in chocolate.

I was invited to a Michael Jackson themed party. You have to dress in a certain era version of MJ to attend. If I don't go as that, I'm thinking of going as Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrel in Anchor Man).

My boyfriend wants me to go as Elvira. Not sure what to make of that...

Sandra

If he wants you to wear that get-up more than once....I doubt you will need us to tell you what to make of it....;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)