Range of Chicago Spot Beam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scimeca

Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Im looking to see the range of the spot beam that carries chicago HD locals. If someone has this info id greatly appreciate it.

Scimeca

Chicago Spot beams

We went to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord NC in may for the Coca-Cola 600 Nascar Race. I took my dish 500, vip 211 and 13" tv so I could watch the INDY 500 while tailgating and I had all the chicago SD locals, and had Charlotte OTA locals off of a piece of coax I stripped back that worked as an antenna. I dont know about the HD locals but sd range is very far.

You have Directv right? The HD local spotbeam is around 200 miles from a few reports. The SD one is a bit bigger. Use that 200 mile rule of thumb and see where it falls. The only way to know for sure is "move".

true...the 150 might be close...cause of course it's the way the crow flys. This is 200 miles by road.

We went to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord NC in may for the Coca-Cola 600 Nascar Race. I took my dish 500, vip 211 and 13" tv so I could watch the INDY 500 while tailgating and I had all the chicago SD locals, and had Charlotte OTA locals off of a piece of coax I stripped back that worked as an antenna. I dont know about the HD locals but sd range is very far.

According to DISH Network on EchoStar 8/10 at 110.0°W - LyngSat some Chicago SD locals are on CONUS beams, not spot beams for channel 2, 5, 7 and 32, the other Chicago locals are on spot beams, on 110 spot beam 19, see map for the coverage area for that spot beam.

true...the 150 might be close...cause of course it's the way the crow flys. This is 200 miles by road.

Mapquest can tell your for sure. But only the crow matters. Given the size of the Chicago market, you shouldnt have an issue with a good 5 LNB install. Just ask the 1st level CSR to change your service address and keep your billing address as is. Just mention all equipment is in place and make sure they do the receiver resets and you test the channels. Thats it. :up

mapquest can tell u the distance by the way of the crow?? i didnt know that...but i just figured the shortest distance and its at 170 miles.

yea..thats what i was thinking...It's gotta be really close..i figure i can get the sd channels, but hd is the goal im shooting for...I appreciate your help and advice.

mapquest can tell u the distance by the way of the crow?? i didnt know that...but i just figured the shortest distance and its at 170 miles.

Here are some air mile tools; you may need LAT/LOG

Live Maps will do it right online Live Local Search (use their "Draw Path" tool) see attached

Google Earth will do it as well with their "Measure Straight Line" tool (i think its called)

Air Mile Calculator

Great Circle Mapper

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
i appreciate the assistance...those tools were very helpful. The great circle mapper worked awesome...I estimated the distances by ruler and map and came up 2 miles farther than the online tools i received...im at 160 miles from ohare air port the way the crow flys

We get both the Chicago HD & SD spots down here in Spfld with no problems, although the signals are a little weaker than normal, I have no problems with them, except in a heavy rain. This is about 180 miles from the city of Chicago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AT&T Home Entertainment - HD DVR?

Using Video Sender Pre-Tuner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts