RAnT! I cant really tell huge differance with HD over SD with Voom

eschu97611 said:
Agreed on that, SD does look bad when compared with HD, however, so does Voom (exclusives excluded) when compared to other HD providers-sorry to say, really I am!!

E- your a good man too!
Thanks for helping me undersand the Voom limitations. and you great input!

Ice,

Don't let some of these guys get to you. You are sincere and care about the same as the rest of us. Enjoying Voom to it's fullest.

Whatever set you watch Voom on- forget the picture and enjoy the show! I just hope my favorite mobster doesn't have any more insane dreams this week. I told Tony to lay off the pepperonis before bedtime!

You are good guy, Ice.

Go Lakers, tonight is a key game!

iceshark said:
Jeff ((tech friend) says that I dont loose any of my picture when I play letterbox on my 4.3tv. He says that it is 16.9 true on any set played on. He said the only thing different with new 16.9 letterbox monitors is that is more asteticly pleasing becuase you dont deal with the big black bars. But if you put a 4.3 next to sonys new 16.9 36 inch montitor you would not be cropped or stretched and would be seeing the same picture on both. With exception of black bars on 16.9 set.

Sorry man. When I said 'missing' is was relative to size. Your buddy is correct in that anamorphic/widscreen DVD's will not be minus any of the 'actual' picture....just size reduced with the black bars and less screen space being used. If I added to your confusion, then it's my bad.

Do take your time looking at plasmas, but be aware as many have stated, what you see in the store isn't always representative of it looking it's best. Futjitsu is top notch and uses Panasonic glass, but it's electronics are what makes it so sumptous looking. Panny's are your best dollar value...for the most part thats undisputable. But in the end, it's what looks best to you.

cyuhnke said:
I'll never go plasma or CRT-based RPTV b/c I play video games. If I spent 5k on a set and fried my screen a few months later I'd have to kill myself :)

I don't play video games, but plenty of plasma owners do. Check it out on AVS Forum. You may want to kill yourself for not playing video games on a plasma monitor. :)

Mr. Biggles said:
Sorry man. When I said 'missing' is was relative to size. Your buddy is correct in that anamorphic/widscreen DVD's will not be minus any of the 'actual' picture....just size reduced with the black bars and less screen space being used. If I added to your confusion, then it's my bad.

Do take your time looking at plasmas, but be aware as many have stated, what you see in the store isn't always representative of it looking it's best. Futjitsu is top notch and uses Panasonic glass, but it's electronics are what makes it so sumptous looking. Panny's are your best dollar value...for the most part thats undisputable. But in the end, it's what looks best to you.

Thanks Bill, your a good man.
I will take my time. Any input on best place to buy would be cool from anyone.
Pan- Are they worth the money you save?

I play pc and xbox games on my plasma all the time. 1 1/2 years with no sign of burn-in.

I went around to the local stores and checked out all the plasma TV's. I then read a bunch of stuff on the web. Finally decided on the latest 50" Panasonic. Check out http://www.monitoroutlet.com/
They have the best prices I've been able to find and FREE shipping which is Huge when you think about the weight of these things.

Guys, before you jump into buying plasmas, make sure you are aware of all problems associated with plasmas, like burn-in and the relatively short lifespan, so this would not catch you by surprise a few years from now. I am not saying don't buy them. I am saying do you homework and get all the facts before making your purchase.

Ilya said:
problems associated with plasmas, like burn-in and the relatively short lifespan

relatively short lifespan? Relative to what? Maybe humans, not TV's. Burn-in is likely to happen if you display flight arrival times 24 hours a day but I don't do that very often at home. Lets keep the myths flowing.

The real problem is the price of gas means it will be extremely costly to refill those plasmas.

LCD Rear Projection TV

Going to a high class joint to buy my TV, I was talked out of the Plasma by the sales person. He suggested a LCD Rear Projection TV. I ended up getting the grand Wega 50" by Sony! The picture quality with DVD and premium stations (with out HDTV) is awesome, the draw back is the quality for regular dish or cable is less than desirable.
I may also say the plasma I was looking at was 1500 more than what I ended up buying!

Ilya said:
Guys, before you jump into buying plasmas, make sure you are aware of all problems associated with plasmas, like burn-in and the relatively short lifespan, so this would not catch you by surprise a few years from now. I am not saying don't buy them. I am saying do you homework and get all the facts before making your purchase.

Ilya,
with all due respect but you are propagating myths here:

1) The useful lifespan of today plasmas is estimated to be at least 60000 hours. That's more than 27 years of watching 6 hours a day every day. I am sure I will replace my TV at least once during that period.

2) Burn-in is a non-issue with today plasmas unless you want to display your favorite static image 24/7 in a torch mode.

3) I agree with you. Do your homework before making a purchase. A good place to start is AVSForum. Go to Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays forum and read all the FAQs.

From what I've read at AVSForum and in other sources the official (or un-official) lifespan of plasmas as stated by some manufacturers is around 20,000 hours (some state more, some state less). In my house the TV set stays on all day long 10-12 hours a day on average, which I admit may not be typical. So, according to my calculations it won't last 5 years in my case.

I don't like watching stretched images, so CNN and other SD channels are always 4:3 on my TV. If the burn-in is no longer an issue with plasmas, I am happy to hear that. This is news to me. I know it is not an issue with LCD.

These were very important considerations in my decision to go with LCD RPTV(GWIII), in addition to the price of course. Sure I will have to replace the bulb in my TV set, but this is not a big deal.

Again, I didn't mean to start a new discussion about Plasma and it's burn-in. I know there are on-going debates on this and a lot of controversy. I am no expert in plasmas, and I am not going to take any side on this. All I am saying, is that if you are considering to purchase a plasma, make sure to research this subject, and make up your mind knowing all pros and cons.

Just to make sure that we all understand the term "lifespan". In the plasma world, it means the time it takes for the display to end up with 50% of the initial brightness. When your new plasma is properly calibrated the brightness setting should be way below the midpoint on the brightness scale (factory brightness/contrast/sharpness etc. settings are typically cranked up way too much). That is, after the "lifespan" your plasma's brightness setting would need to be higher than it was initially to get you the same brightness as ever. No big deal because all plasmas are very "bright" to start with.
So, the average lifespan doesn't mean that half of the plasmas are "dead" by then. :)

The thing is, fixed images are very common in video games. Most video games display a health meter in the same spot. And I'm sort of a power gamer. When I play, I'll play for several hours straight. That means there's a non-transluscent health meter on my screen for sometimes as long as 8 hours. That's not good for CRT based RPTV, which along with plasma, are the most susceptible to burn-in. Also, video games by nature are generally very bright and vivid. I'm not afraid of the FNC crawler, but I am afraid of the Master Chief's health and shield levels.

Vreesar said:
I went around to the local stores and checked out all the plasma TV's. I then read a bunch of stuff on the web. Finally decided on the latest 50" Panasonic. Check out http://www.monitoroutlet.com/
They have the best prices I've been able to find and FREE shipping which is Huge when you think about the weight of these things.

An AVSforum sponsored retailer has the same 50" set for about $300 cheaper including the shipping fee. www.plasmaconcepts.com

andrzej said:
Ilya,
with all due respect but you are propagating myths here:

1) The useful lifespan of today plasmas is estimated to be at least 60000 hours. That's more than 27 years of watching 6 hours a day every day. I am sure I will replace my TV at least once during that period.

2) Burn-in is a non-issue with today plasmas unless you want to display your favorite static image 24/7 in a torch mode.
with all due respect

I heard the same stuff from a salesman, but what CONSUMER plasma has been in use for 27 years?

I also think your non burn in statement is a little unbelievable. I bet a Plasma would burn after 8 hours of a bright static image.

I also dont think they can be repaired if a cell cracks and the gas leaks.

I for one would sooner wipe my a$$ with hundred dollar bills before I bought one.

I do believe that DLP should put an end to them. For the life of me I dont know why anyone would buy a $10,000 plasma after seeing a 3500 dollar DLP

vurbano said:
with all due respect

I heard the same stuff from a salesman, but what CONSUMER plasma has been in use for 27 years?

I also think your non burn in statement is a little unbelievable. I bet a Plasma would burn after 8 hours of a bright static image.

I for one would sooner wipe my a$$ with hundred dollar bills before I bought one.

I do believe that DLP should put an end to them. For the life of me I dont know why anyone would buy a $10,000 plasma after seeing a 3500 dollar DLP

Ok.
The case is hopeless, I guess.

vurbano said:

-They use commercial plasmas at airports and such. They due suffer from burn-in with extended static images. Having them in torch mode only exaberates the problem. A home user with a plasma properly calibrated and a little awareness that burn-in is possible can pretty much eliminate the problem. Most RPTV owners have been problem free.

-If the glass cracks...the panel does have to be replaced. If you crack the glass on a tube TV it has to be replaced also.

- I'm not touching that $100 wiping the ass thing again. ;)

-Rainbows?!? Aesthetics maybe? Space? Disposable income?

" If only the theory of LCoS could become a reality."
Cyuhnke, almost all things are possible with the right aplication of $$$$$.
Have you seen the Mitsubishi WL-82913 ?

Well bigtex, that model does not fit into my reality :) I knew they existed, but didn't know they were that much :eek: I guess I could buy one if I went and retreived some of the sanitary paper vurbano uses :no All other options involve me faking my own death. BTW, I wonder what kind of premium your paying to say "yeah, but I got 1080 . . . P?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)