RAnT! I cant really tell huge differance with HD over SD with Voom

Oops! I guess their is some disagreement on this. Are you guys saying that PQ on D*, E*, and V* are equal on commonly carried channels? I can't do A/B, but I thought that Voom was considered a little lower than the other 2. Discarding Voom's current audio problems, are you saying all things are equal? Eschu, Biggles, Seawaves, you guys are all in good standing around here, so I value your opinions.

eschu97611 said:
Respectfully disagree-when I want true, crisp HD I find myself watching D* admittedly limited offerings-when I want pq much better than SD but not truley sharp HD, I watch Voom-such a shame, such a shame-so much potential, so little hd sharpness???????

I hope your leaving HDNet out of the equation (go ahead and include HDNet Movies though) since it truly is a benchmark broadcast. My comparison was done with the same stations broadcast at the same time that both V* and D* carried.

cyuhnke said:
Oops! I guess their is some disagreement on this. Are you guys saying that PQ on D*, E*, and V* are equal on commonly carried channels? I can't do A/B, but I thought that Voom was considered a little lower than the other 2. Discarding Voom's current audio problems, are you saying all things are equal? Eschu, Biggles, Seawaves, you guys are all in good standing around here, so I value your opinions.
Being able to express differences of opinion are what make forums like these so important-we all want the same things from Voom I believe-it's just some think we are already getting them and others don't-that's how I see it anyways.

eschu97611 said:
that's how I see it anyways.

Believe me, if I saw what you say your seeing I would have canceled V*. But with either of our two displays that simply wasn't the case.

Mr. Biggles said:
Believe me, if I saw what you say your seeing I would have canceled V*. But with either of our two displays that simply wasn't the case.
I'm getting close to doing just that Biggles-I want so much to enjoy Voom but with D* and its superior pq on common channels, which I admit aren't many due to D* lack of HD, I just can't justify paying $112.00 per month for what I think is less than true HD pq-wanted to give Voom a chance to work "kinks" out but my patience and credit card bill are starting to get the best of me(sniffle sniffle)

Hey,

I'm a techie so I really believe the Voom STB is only as good as the rest of one's setup. I think many here will agree with me.

That said- Voom, Rupert and Charlie (as I like to call the SAT trinity) will have things that are better and worse than each other.

I was a orginal dish guy, had direct with a hi-def. box and now have Voom.
They all can be great but right I'm going out my girl Voom.

iceshark said:
One more thing.
The 10 exclusive channels especially Worldsport and rave do look HD sharp most of the time. Just nothing to compare with>!
Ok, since we are talking about comparison between SD and HD, what happens when you switch inputs on the STB. Do you see a difference between 1080i and 480i modes/connections on those two channels?

I have both E* and V* and everytime this question has come up, I have found myself going back and checking Discovery HD Theater, HBO-HD, Show-HD, & ESPN-HD on both providers. Each time (except for one time), the PQ on both providers have looked the same. I haven't compare TNT-HD yet but will do soon.

The best way to make the comparison between two providers is:

1 - do it on the same TV.
2 - do it at the input of TV (component or DVI)
3 - ensure both inputs are calibrated
4 - both are done at the same resolution
5 - Same channel
6 - Same program

It also helps to compare notes with other users of both providers to ensure that what you are looking at for each provider is compatible to what others are looking at.

I have done these comparisons almost every month to see if there was incompatibilities. I went beyond that and had someone taking a look at the data stream to ensure the mbps were not lowered than expected. All I can say is that besides of the known problems, I have not seen differences as huge as making each provider different. Also, it also helps to look at the PQ over a period of time and not for a couple of hours just to ensure that you are not looking at PQ where independent problems have ocurred.

That's my take on this issue. I cannot compare to DirecTv or Cable; to say that PQ on VOOM is only 3rd to D* or E* is not accurate. Give me the data stream data for both providers and look at the mbsp of both. Even these you have to look at for a good period of time.

Thanks for your opinions guys. To make a point on topic so I'm not smoted by a moderator, HD looks much better than SD. No such thing as a good 4:3 HDTV. BTW, the whole "Stay on Topic" thing always reminds me of that guy in Star Wars who kept repeating "Stay on Target" but got blown up after missing the point (target) the whole mission was focused on.

Seawaves said:
Me not have those...what are the audio problems you are having?

Mine have disappeared for the most part, but several of us were experiencing intermittent drop outs awhile back. I think V* was aware and pretty much fixed it.

Posted before I saw your post sean. Don't feel guilty about being off topic now :)

Oh yeah, audio problems. Voom is not carrying TNTHD in 5.1, E* is. Sean says ESPN has some funky way of doing 5.1, so it's not voom's fault.

Sean Mota said:
I have both E* and V* and everytime this question has come up, I have found myself going back and checking Discovery HD Theater, HBO-HD, Show-HD, & ESPN-HD on both providers. Each time (except for one time), the PQ on both providers have looked the same. I haven't compare TNT-HD yet but will do soon.

The best way to make the comparison between two providers is:

1 - do it on the same TV.
2 - do it at the input of TV (component or DVI)
3 - ensure both inputs are calibrated
4 - both are done at the same resolution
5 - Same channel
6 - Same program

It also helps to compare notes with other users of both providers to ensure that what you are looking at for each provider is compatible to what others are looking at.

I have done these comparisons almost every month to see if there was incompatibilities. I went beyond that and had someone taking a look at the data stream to ensure the mbps were not lowered than expected. All I can say is that besides of the known problems, I have not seen differences as huge as making each provider different. Also, it also helps to look at the PQ over a period of time and not for a couple of hours just to ensure that you are not looking at PQ where independent problems have ocurred.

That's my take on this issue. I cannot compare to DirecTv or Cable; to say that PQ on VOOM is only 3rd to D* or E* is not accurate. Give me the data stream data for both providers and look at the mbsp of both. Even these you have to look at for a good period of time.
Getting my set isf calib. on Monday-this will help me to decide whether or not I keep Voom or just wait and wait and wait and wait for D* to add more hd-Not worth it to me to pay such a high monthly bill(100 +) for pq on Voom which is substandard and over compressed-just how I feel is all.

I have D*, V* and Comcast cable. From time to time, I do A/B/C comparisons on same channels (almost always HD channels as I can't stand SD anymore). I cannot tell the difference between the three on my plasma. By the way, SD looks like crap compared to HD.

andrzej said:
I have D*, V* and Comcast cable. From time to time, I do A/B/C comparisons on same channels (almost always HD channels as I can't stand SD anymore). I cannot tell the difference between the three on my plasma. By the way, SD looks like crap compared to HD.
Agreed on that, SD does look bad when compared with HD, however, so does Voom (exclusives excluded) when compared to other HD providers-sorry to say, really I am!!

eschu97611 said:
Agreed on that, SD does look bad when compared with HD, however, so does Voom (exclusives excluded) when compared to other HD providers-sorry to say, really I am!!

I really don't understand why you are sorry. If you see it that way in your setup that's fine with me. My experience is different from yours. That's all. And I am not sorry. :)

andrzej said:
I really don't understand why you are sorry. If you see it that way in your setup that's fine with me. My experience is different from yours. That's all. And I am not sorry. :)
Sorry meaning I wish I didn't see what I did from Voom-regretful, unhappy, disappointed(anybody have a thesaurus?)LMAO

Let me see if I understand this right. You say you have a cable run to your tv with each of the STB outputs (DVI, component & composite). Now when you switch from composite, to component, to DVI you say you notice no major difference? Perhaps the Voom STB outputs 1080i on every output eventhough it shouldnt do so on composite. OR maybe the upconversion in your TV set is super awesome. =) I have not even tried to compare the difference in the video outputs nor do I care to..

Not sure why this would even be an issue, is there a specific reason you want to have every output going to your tv?

Ilya said:
Ok, since we are talking about comparison between SD and HD, what happens when you switch inputs on the STB. Do you see a difference between 1080i and 480i modes/connections on those two channels?

Little confused by question. I belive what you want me to do is what I have been doing.

I have three outputs running out of STB. Dvi to TV, Component to TV, ANd RCA to tv. THe only one I am not using is RF coax out.
My tv has special inputs for DVI, Component and then 4 other for RCA.
Then I have my Voom Remote programed to my Sony XBR. SO I can toggle thru all three output types to my tv while watching same channel.
That is what I did when I gave you the results comparaison. And not much differance between DVI to COmponent to Rca jacks on HD channels.

Also as I stated I have dish network SD BOX (508)dvr.
I switch between NBC Leno in SD on Dish and HD On voom and dont see much differance. I did see lots of differance with Comcast HD NBC vs. Dishnet.
Same with BRavoHD vs Bravo dishnet ect.
But I did see lots of differance between Comcast HD channels vs. Dishnet same channels.

Hope this answers your question.

By the way I am a staunch supporter of VoOm!
I love it and will drop E*when the DVR comes out!
I reccomend VoOm to everyone and have had 4 people get it because of my positive feedback. It just took my a month to put my finger on not being extremely impressed with HD picture vs hated comcast that I did for a 3 month 49.00 no install trial, and immediate cancel.

I AM A VOOM LOVER!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)