RAnT! I cant really tell huge differance with HD over SD with Voom

I really would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference on a 36" tube TV too I suppose. Heck even SD looks good on a 36" tube. Just ask Joesixpack. Sell the thing and get a real HD set, 47-50 inches DLP or RPTV.

vurbano said:
I really would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference on a 36" tube TV too I suppose. Heck even SD looks good on a 36" tube. Just ask Joesixpack. Sell the thing and get a real HD set, 47-50 inches DLP or RPTV.
What about that free shipping Vurbano-ask about that-go ahead ask-LMAO

eschu97611 said:
What about that free shipping Vurbano-ask about that-go ahead ask-LMAO
Help I cant see a "real" difference in SD and HD on my 27" sony trinitron!!!!!!!

Guess what? go watch on a 13 incher there is absolutely no difference.

LMAO

vurbano said:
Help I cant see a "real" difference in SD and HD on my 27" sony trinitron!!!!!!!

Guess what? go watch on a 13 incher there is absolutely no difference.

LMAO

I would nicely disagree with you. I used to run 60 inch Mits big screens and while the pic was fine for sports. A big screen with 3 color guns can in my and many other opioions never look as sharp as a good flat screen tube!

Sony wega tubes smoke big screen projections for sd and hd. That is why I did much reaserch and got out of the big screen game. Big screens are what they are and nothing better.

Now I am unfortunate as I wish I would have bought a Plasma. I probably will
When they drop alittle more in price.

I compare my brothers smaller plasma HD and like another poster said. For the extra thosands he spent the picture is not that much better.

When I go plasma I want at least 60 inch.

So go ahead and be a smart*@* about topic. we all have our rights to speak what we feel and I respect you and alls opionions. But the Sony 36Wega xbr didnt get to be the top rated tube for nothing.

notcat2 said:
Realize what Hi-Def is all about. LIVE events or Documentaries using HI-DEF cameras is what true HiDef is. That's why you can see the athlete sweat drip, that's why the wildlife look so impressive on Discovery HD Theater.That's what makes HDNews looks HD. Its' the format using Hi Resolution cameras.

Pop in a Widescreen formatted DVD movie and you basically have all the movies you watch on Cinema 10 or any the other plus packs. Those movies are just upconverted and transmitted via satellie to your living room. I have a 60" lcd rear projection TV (Sony by the way) and the picture is stunning on any channel being presented where a Hi-Def camera was used. Standard definition is a horse of a different color. Especially on a BIG screen. I had Dtv and their SD was crap. It's hard to imagine it's called digital TV. I guess there's no snow or ghost imaging so it's an improvement, but when you have a 60" screen it really demands a good camera resolution, and when it's there it's heaven. That's even when using component cables. With my TV the native resolution is 768p. I believe everything is converted to that, so when the signal is not so great you get the old Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Plasma may convey HD slightly better, blacker blacks I think, maybe a higher contrast ratio, but take a look at the prices for a 50+ model. My Sony cost about 1/3 the price of a 60" plasma.

just my 2 cents,

nc2

That makes the most sense I have read to date.

Kinda of like converting vcd movies to svcd. Garbage in cant make gold out.

That explains why even some movies on TNTHD may look sweet but some like SD. And why EspnHD basketball you can feel line you are there.

I apprieciate your help.

Rick214 said:
The Sony KV-36XBR800 is a 4:3 set right? So when you're watching HD in 16:9 mode it is now like watching a 32" set - so it may be difficult to tell a lot of difference in HD vs SD.

BTW, here is good site to compare TV sizes: http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

???? Yes its 4-3 but all HD is letterbox so even with 16.9 set the only differance would be the top and bottom not showing black. Pic still the same size. Little confused with what your saying
Even with a 92 inch the HD pick would not be 92. Isnt that correct.

And From my first post I am saying with COmcast HD cable. I could DEFITNITALY see that differance with all HD channels even most movies upconverted to HD. NOT with VOOM in the same clarity.

THank you though for your help!

Rick214 said:
The Sony KV-36XBR800 is a 4:3 set right? So when you're watching HD in 16:9 mode it is now like watching a 32" set - so it may be difficult to tell a lot of difference in HD vs SD.

BTW, here is good site to compare TV sizes: http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

I stand corrected! I took a look at that website. Excellent guide.
Guess I should have bought the Letterbox set. Oh well..
By the way . ONECALL is out here in Spokane WA. I buy alot from them they are excellent!

iceshark said:
Even with a 92 inch the HD pick would not be 92. Isnt that correct.
I think you are missing something (or maybe I am). Yes, it will be 92 if the picture fills the entire screen (e.g. if you are watching a 16:9 formated program on a 16:9 HDTV). Screen size is its diagonal measure, so if you are watching a 16:9 program on a 36" 4:3 screen, the size of the picture will be less than 36". More like 32".

Most of HD programs, including pretty much everything on VOOM exclusives are presented in 16:9 aspect ratio, so with a 4:3 TV set you are either not utilizing some portions of your TV screen, or you have to zoom-in, or stretch the picture vertically. In either case, the picture won't look as good as it would on a wide-screen TV of a similar diagonal size.

iceshark said:
I used to run 60 inch Mits big screens and while the pic was fine for sports. A big screen with 3 color guns can in my and many other opioions never look as sharp as a good flat screen tube!
I think the point is not about which technology is better, and even not about which size is better. It's rather about at which size of the screen the difference between HD and SD is more noticeable. SD (NTSC) was never designed for big screens. SD looks pretty good on small TVs under 20", it looks ok at around 30", but when you go to 50", 60" or 70" range, the lack of resolution becomes too noticeable. Of course you could notice the difference on a smaller screen too, if you sit too close to it, but usually you don't, and from the normal viewing distance the lack of resolution on SD screen is not so noticeable, as it is on bigger displays.

Ilya said:
I think you are missing something. Yes, it will be 92 if the picture fills the entire screen (e.g. if you are watching a 16:9 formated program on a 16:9 HDTV). Screen size is its diagonal measure, so if you are watching a 16:9 program on a 36" 4:3 screen, the size of the picture will be less than 36". More like 32".

Most of HD programs, including pretty much everything on VOOM exclusives are presented in 16:9 aspect ratio, so with a 4:3 TV set you are either not utilizing some portions of your TV screen, or you have to zoom-in, or stretch the picture vertically. In either case, the picture won't look as good as it would on a wide-screen TV of a similar diagonal size.

One feature on the Sony XBR's is too auto correct all 16.9 to fill screen (stretch) So the letterbox pic is dimmensional to the set and not out of perportion. Yes It does make sense that you loose top and bottom of screen but so does everyone.

If I put my sony next to my true 20inch lcd letterbox screen upstairs it would show the same picture on letterbox becuase Sony auto synch for there 4.3 high end xbr tube.

So I think we are both correct.

Thank you

Ilya said:
I think the point is not about which technology is better, and even not about which size is better. It's rather about at which size of the screen the difference between HD and SD is more noticeable. SD (NTSC) was never designed for big screens. SD looks pretty good on small TVs under 20", it looks ok at around 30", but when you go to 50", 60" or 70" range, the lack of resolution becomes too noticeable. Of course you could notice the difference on a smaller screen too, if you sit too close to it, but usually you don't, and from the normal viewing distance the lack of resolution on SD screen is not so noticeable, as it is on bigger displays.

Totally agree with you on the above.

It was Vurbano that I believe was trying to make a case that big screen projection was clearer and I dont believe that will ever be the case.

On my 36 inch XBR SD shows its lines and is not great. I again am just suprised that the Comcast cable HD picture is so much clearer then vooms on my tv.

My nieghbor has a 60inch Pioneer HD projection that is brand new. and his picture looks weak also on HD from Voom .

Guess I will just live with it till I buy a Plasma.
Still love VOOM>

Ice,

A couple of thoughts (besides we are all beating this thread to death)-

your cable box might have shown more of a difference because the SD channels were a much lower quality from your cable provider so there was a bigger jump to the cable HD channels. just a thought.

Second, if you put that Sony on ebay you might still see 75% back. If you do, then look real hard at the plasmas and see the specs between a 42 and a 60. I bought both a 42 and a 50 and the brightness makes a huge diff. The 42" Fujitsu was 1024 X1024 and the picture belonged in a theatre.

However, I put the 42 in the bedroom and it it cranked way too much heat. As it kept it's value better than the 50" I sold it. Now with Voom I wish I had kept it.

If you go 16:9 on a 42, that's still a lot of picture. And- as you seem most worried over picture quality, bigger in plasma is not better- it's just bigger. I keep waiting for the price to go down on gas, real esate, and plasma TV's. Hey- look it keeps going up! LOL.

But that's just my opinon.

I too left Sony and went to Hitachi. It has the best set of lenses and projection system compared to all. What a difference from Sony to Hitachi. The difference on my set is night and day. I have VOOM set to 1080 (all the programs are 1080i except the Cinema 10 which is 720 but that is supposed to change). I also still have DTV. I pipped my screen and watched Voom & DTV side by side on the Discovery channel. No difference, they were both 1080i HiDef. Are you using components or DVI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)