Re-furbished HR21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gromitsdad

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
This is my first post, and I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to post about this.

I called DirecTV today because I was given a 'free' HD-DVR upgrade and was sent a re-furbished HR21. I called to ask why I didn't receive the HR-24 and was told they don't know and can't specify which model is sent out. I've been a loyal customer for 7 years and thought that kind of sucked.

gromitsdad said:
This is my first post, and I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to post about this.

I called DirecTV today because I was given a 'free' HD-DVR upgrade and was sent a re-furbished HR21. I called to ask why I didn't receive the HR-24 and was told they don't know and can't specify which model is sent out. I've been a loyal customer for 7 years and thought that kind of sucked.

I thought the upgrades always came with new and the replacements could be refurbished. I would call and raise hell about it, they are committing you to a new 2 year agreement with used equipment. Tell then they either need to reduce the commitment time to one year or send out a new box that has not been used.

They have no way to do a one year agreement. Also mention that Dish Network offered to provide you all new boxes for the same two year agreement, AND they would knock money off your bill the first year.

I thought the upgrades always came with new and the replacements could be refurbished. I would call and raise hell about it, they are committing you to a new 2 year agreement with used equipment. Tell then they either need to reduce the commitment time to one year or send out a new box that has not been used.

They have no way to do a one year agreement. Also mention that Dish Network offered to provide you all new boxes for the same two year agreement, AND they would knock money off your bill the first year.

I would love to do that...no offense intended here, but english was not the first language of the person I spoke to, and it was extremely difficult to convey that I was complaining. It seemed to me that she thought that I got a better box than the HR20 that I had, so be happy with that.

Yeah, it does suck. But from D*'s perspective, all the HRs are equivalent even when they aren't.

they are also not even remotely as different (features or speed) as everyone tries to make out either; as long as you aren't getting a 20 series you are just fine. and to the OP's comment, refurb / non-refurb; they are both expected to work exactly as planned and needed and are covered just the same, so you have lost nothing. the only thing that is different is the perception that you may be missing out on something.

charper1 said:
they are also not even remotely as different (features or speed) as everyone tries to make out either; as long as you aren't getting a 20 series you are just fine. and to the OP's comment, refurb / non-refurb; they are both expected to work exactly as planned and needed and are covered just the same, so you have lost nothing. the only thing that is different is the perception that you may be missing out on something.

I would respectfully disagree. I previously had an hr-23 which was absolute garbage compared to the hr-24 I have now. It actually was bad enough that I got it exchanged twice, before I gave up and went to dish. When I went back to d*, I actually refused my install appointment when the guy showed up with an hr-23, and I told him not to bother coming back unless he brought an hr-24. You can't deny hardware getting better in performance over time, otherwise they'd just make the same receiver forever. I can't speak to the hr-21 because I never had one; but I don't see anything wrong with being an informed consumer and asking for what you want.

i dont disagree with a user being able to ask for something special, but there is nothing leaps and bounds better, simply incremental; perception is everything and you had a bad experience. that doesnt however prove fact that they are all bad, nor that all 24's are all better, as they have their issues too. everyone's mileage varies, even in the same exact car. my point is that when the microscope goes down, the OP isnt missing anything.

I would not be too thrilled with getting a refurbished HR21 as an "upgrade" attached to a two year commitment. Although as it was a "free" upgrade, I can understand D*'s side of this.

I've been using an HR21 for over 3.5 years. It has always been slow to respond to almost every remote command, sometimes taking up to 10 seconds to change channels. But it is much faster with the new HD GUI. It has been perfectly reliable, no problems at all. Never missing a recording.

charper1 said:
i dont disagree with a user being able to ask for something special, but there is nothing leaps and bounds better, simply incremental; perception is everything and you had a bad experience. that doesnt however prove fact that they are all bad, nor that all 24's are all better, as they have their issues too. everyone's mileage varies, even in the same exact car. my point is that when the microscope goes down, the OP isnt missing anything.

I dunno, I think that's like saying the difference between a 1st-gen iPhone and an iPhone 4S is "incremental." sure, they look similar and have a lot of the same apps, but under the hood they aren't even close. I doubt the dtv receivers change on that kind of level, but "newer is better." :D

I would not have activated that receiver. There is absolutely a difference between the HR21,22,23 series and the HR24. I've used each model on numerous occasions in different locations and the response time on the older boxes is pathetic. It has improved with the new GUI but still an issue.

I would have simply sent that box back and perhaps asked for a receiver credit an bought the box from SolidSignal. There's no way I'd extend my contract for an HR21.

so what do you say to the many, many users (I know at least 25 - 35 alone) that have both and don't have these glaring issues with the older units (20's excluded) but do have issues with their 24's. its really not worth arguing over. there are users that have some issues with each and every series and many more that don't. Some users are always simply mesmerized by whatever the latest and greatest is and swear by it regardless. and there are some users that have issues with anything and everything they get involved with. period

I was once offered a free upgrade to a HR24, from my HR21, but turned it down due to taking on a new 2 year contract. At that time I was looking at a potential need to move in 6-9 months. Still here 2 years later, but also still looking at a potential move in the near future.

I have lived quite contently with my HR21. I haven't even ever filled up its 320GB hard drive. It is a bit slower, but when I go to watch a recorded 2 hour movie and it takes an additional 5-7 seconds to call up the list and select it, well, that's not a big problem.

I would not have activated that receiver. There is absolutely a difference between the HR21,22,23 series and the HR24. I've used each model on numerous occasions in different locations and the response time on the older boxes is pathetic. It has improved with the new GUI but still an issue..

the new HD GUI makes them all fast...pretty much the same speed that there is no noticeable difference

Having a R22 (which is pretty much a HR21 that can be used on SD only accounts) the new HD GUI makes it blazingly fast (a helluva lot faster than the SD GUI) ;)

Makes me wish DirecTV would go back to selling receivers in electronics stores.

I would love to do that...no offense intended here, but english was not the first language of the person I spoke to, and it was extremely difficult to convey that I was complaining. It seemed to me that she thought that I got a better box than the HR20 that I had, so be happy with that.

CAll back, you'll get someone different ...
Tell them that in your opinion the HR20 is better than the HR21-23's, at least you don't have to pay extra for OTA channels.

I dunno, I think that's like saying the difference between a 1st-gen iPhone and an iPhone 4S is "incremental." sure, they look similar and have a lot of the same apps, but under the hood they aren't even close. I doubt the dtv receivers change on that kind of level, but "newer is better." :D

Actually, there is quite a difference, I think the HR20-23 all used the same chipset, I believe the HR24 had a new chipset, allowing it to work much faster.

I must say that after having the new HD GUI for a couple of weeks, that my 4 year old HR21 is working so much better. It is so much faster now. Between the much improved speed and the new menus, it feels like I got a major upgrade to my setup.

That's interesting, I was given three '"free" upgrades to replace our 3 D12's and I went with all HD-DVRs. I just assumed I would be getting new HR-24's, and I'm really not interested in signing on for 2 more years with used equipment. As someone else mentioned, if I'm out of contract already and I can go to Dish and get all new equipment, plus X amount off per month, what's my incentive to stay with DirecTV?

so what do you say to the many, many users (I know at least 25 - 35 alone) that have both and don't have these glaring issues with the older units (20's excluded) but do have issues with their 24's. its really not worth arguing over. there are users that have some issues with each and every series and many more that don't. Some users are always simply mesmerized by whatever the latest and greatest is and swear by it regardless. and there are some users that have issues with anything and everything they get involved with. period

I have an HR24, 21, and 20. All are running the latest CE. The HR21, even with the new GUI is a slug. It's better than it was, but it does not compare to my HR24 as far as speed and reliability. (it's been the same since day 1) My HR20 sped up with the new GUI, but it also does not compare to the HR24. (But it is faster than my HR21). Now, I am a freak that likes the latest and greatest technology, but from real world experience, the HR24 is leaps and bounds above the HR21. I would never settle for an HR21 refurb on a two year contract. I also buy my leased receivers from solid signal to guarantee I get what I want.

To the OP, you can try complaining and ask for a new unit. Or, that refurb could die in a couple of weeks and you could tell them to send you a new one and roll the dice to see what you get. Or, buy one from a retailer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts