Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

Box has so far not locked up after factory reboot. Picture is artifact free on most channels. Looks very good when it works.

Forgive me if I've missed this already..

But what should I make sure I tell the installer or make sure he does if/when he get's here on 3/20? I already currently have DirecTV.. installed not that long ago. Should I expect the Voom dish to be in the same location as my DirecTV dish? And should I just ask the installer to use the exisiting cables to my TV's?? What exactly should I expect with this other antenna? Someone mentioned not to split things with a diplexer? Is this discussed in detail somewhere? Thanks in advance for all of the advice..

Dave

Dawson9 said:
But what should I make sure I tell the installer or make sure he does if/when he get's here on 3/20? I already currently have DirecTV.. installed not that long ago. Should I expect the Voom dish to be in the same location as my DirecTV dish? And should I just ask the installer to use the exisiting cables to my TV's?? What exactly should I expect with this other antenna? Someone mentioned not to split things with a diplexer? Is this discussed in detail somewhere? Thanks in advance for all of the advice..

Dave

VOOM dish not at the same location as D* dish. VOOM is at 61.5. I will suggest you to run new cables to your TVs. You might want to those as an option in case you don't like VOOM. Let them run two separate lines - one for OTA and one for Sat. There are lot written on the diplexer on this thread. It is a big one, though.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2185

We are currently updating the information on this page. We are also adding new information. If you see information that is absolete or new information that should be put in place, please let Tim or myself know.

Thanks.

I believe all the update for this page have been done. If you feel that more should be added/deleted or anything else, let me know.

hello

hello. All this have been very very helpful. I right now get digital cable. Brighthouse, But being a Hdtv owner. Voom looks very much the step i was looking to take. I only get 10 hd channels, so when i read 30 I almost passed out, 10 movie channels? and a music channel in Hd? holy crap was all i was saying. I first read about voom in hdtv ect. magazine, and it made me want to find out more. So far all i know if that the its around 49$ a month and 14$ for the HD pack? or i it for 1 Hd movie channle? Im not to clear about the installion eather. I read some were you get all you need. Box,dish, off-air antenna and hook up for 0$ down. But i also read a box cost 499$? and a 2nd is 199$ is that to buy them and never pay rent fees or something? Ok I live in the orlando area. Can someone clear this up? How much is it to get installed as of march? Right now we are paying 90$ for are movie/cable pack. From what i have read its 79$ For the Va va voom pack (Everything) but dose not have The fox stations of espn? Other then that i get pretty much everything with 21 Hd channels Voom owned and all 5 of the main movie channels in Hd and the East and Wast versions. What i don't know of is any Dvr system, if there are ppv channels, and with my Cable i pay 7$ and get the movie channels in demand. So i can pick what shows to watch over, like if i miss something. They chose what movies and shows, but they pretty much put the good ones up and update it all the time. But i was thinking of buy a D-vhs soon or a HD-Dvr not from the provider. Dose the Voom box suport D-VHS timer? And 1 more thing. I have a LCD moitor with an dvi input, would i be able to use that as a hd tv? get 2 boxs?

Kriminalintent,

welcome. There are two plans to get VOOM - Lease or buy.

If you buy, you pay $449 for first receiver and $199 for any additional receivers. The $449 includes installation, receiver, dvi cable, off-air antenna, dish and up to 4 coax cable running to your house. No rental fee.

If you lease, you ge the same with $0 downpayment but there will be a $9.99 charge for each receiver and an additional $5.00 mirror charge.

The Va Va VOOM package includes everything for $79. As of today, there is no ESPN or Fox News station. Understand that these negotiations with Programmers take time. The negotiations with ESPN is close. It is all that we have been hearing which it is a good sign.

VOOM announced that a DVR will be coming in Summer 2004. No definite date has been set. As I understand, there will be two PPV channels. Right now, VOOM is going through major software upgrade, but those will be added shortly. There's no INDEMAND channels like cable. About your LCD monitor, you should be able to use it as long as it is HDCP compliant through DVI. Also, you need to know what is the resolution that it outputs to set up correctly.

Sean Mota said:
VOOM announced that a DVR will be coming in Summer 20004. No definite date has been set.
Do you think Voom will be around then? Hmmm. Only 18000 more years.....:shocked

Kriminalintent said:
thankz thats pretty much it. How can i check if my DVI-D monitor will work?

Best thing to do is to do a search in google on the model number and see if you can get the manual or a reference where is states that it is HDCP compliant through DVI.

any news/ rumors about espnhd? or inhd1 or 2? adding espnhd would really make voom hard to resist. Had mine installed 3/31/04

Thanks to all that have put this info together. I just got VOOM a few days ago. More HD and cheaper than DirTV for me. :eek:) I do have a question. The USB port on the back of the receiver.... Can that be used to connect to a PC for any purpose ??

CTVoomer said:
Thanks to all that have put this info together. I just got VOOM a few days ago. More HD and cheaper than DirTV for me. :eek:) I do have a question. The USB port on the back of the receiver.... Can that be used to connect to a PC for any purpose ??

I do not think anybody knows right now what it is for.

Voom video output format

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the Voom receiver's output format and how to change it. It appears the component video output is 1080i60. I need 1080i59.94, which is what everyone else seems to be using (Direct TV, Dish, OTA receivers, etc.). There is likely a switch or jumper in the receiver that selects the refresh rate (59.94 or 60). Any help would be much appreciated!

rzuch said:
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the Voom receiver's output format and how to change it. It appears the component video output is 1080i60. I need 1080i59.94, which is what everyone else seems to be using (Direct TV, Dish, OTA receivers, etc.). There is likely a switch or jumper in the receiver that selects the refresh rate (59.94 or 60). Any help would be much appreciated!

rzuch,

welcome. I do not think anybody knows about this switch to change the refresh rate. I wonder why you would like to change the refresh rate?

Thanks, Sean.

This is for a high-end system where the projector is fed a digital signal (HD-SDI) from the various sources. For sources like Voom and Direct TV that do not offer HD-SDI outputs, we convert the component HD output to HD-SDI. That way long run lengths to the projector do not degrade PQ. The Analog to Digital converter is preset for the refresh rate, which for all of our other sources is 59.94. Voom's choice of a 60Hz refresh rate is a bit puzzling as this invites interference from the 60Hz power line.

Since the Voom receiver is scaling the video output to one of several output formats (1080i, 720p, etc.) the refresh rate is likely selectable also. An employee at Motorola agrees, but is unable to provide any specific information since they have a confidentiality agreement with Voom.

Bob Z. at Reference Imaging

rzuch said:
Thanks, Sean.

This is for a high-end system where the projector is fed a digital signal (HD-SDI) from the various sources. For sources like Voom and Direct TV that do not offer HD-SDI outputs, we convert the component HD output to HD-SDI. That way long run lengths to the projector do not degrade PQ. The Analog to Digital converter is preset for the refresh rate, which for all of our other sources is 59.94. Voom's choice of a 60Hz refresh rate is a bit puzzling as this invites interference from the 60Hz power line.

Since the Voom receiver is scaling the video output to one of several output formats (1080i, 720p, etc.) the refresh rate is likely selectable also. An employee at Motorola agrees, but is unable to provide any specific information since they have a confidentiality agreement with Voom.

Bob Z. at Reference Imaging

Your best show will be to ask Wilt at "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net> . He is the chief enginner for VOOM maybe he can help you. Let us know if you get any information. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)