Really need some help here....Please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larmguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me out here! Ok here’s what I got. I bought a new Traxis 3500 receiver, 24” dish, extreme LNB off ebay. All new accept the dish. I thought I could get G10 but later found that the dish wasn’t big enough. So today I bought a 30” dish and installed that

( got it from weinguard dealer). I wanted to start fresh so I deleted the G10 info I had and did a blind scan but I’m getting nothing??? My question is how do I properly blind scan G10? I know the frequencies and transponders and I know my dish settings are correct. I Double and triple checked it (azimuth 238.7, Elevation is 27.0 and my skew is -35 (counter clock wise).

Here’s my programming setup on the traxis. Sat is G10R , TP Index is 1/16, TP freq is 11720, Symbol rate is 27692 and the polarity is V. I read in one of ice’s post that you should blind scan twice Once with polarity V and again with polarity H. But I’m still getting nothing. I’ve been fire & security tech for over 20 years, So I know my RG6e cable is good and my connections are good ( I check for open, short and grounds and I’m good ) I also metered for resistance and I’m good there too! 0 ohms I believe the problem is in my programming. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if you want to confirm my dish settings my zip is 48152.

Thanks again! :confused:

I don't have a Traxis but maybe I can help you. The first thing you need to do is get your dish aligned on G-10. What I did when I put up my G-10 dish was to enter the data in manually for the Research channel on G-10 ( H-11805, 4580 SR, Vpid 110, Apid 111) This is a very strong channel. Then I peaked the dish on that for maximum quality. After that was done then I did a blind scan. If there is no signal to start with blind scanning won't turn up anything.

Once you have the Horiz peaked then you can use Equity's 11720 weak channels to peak the Verticals and get every last bit out of your reflector.

Awesome,I'll try that tomorrow ( I'm desperate to get this going I'd do it know but can't find a flash light!!! LOL) Thanks!

Your settings in the receiver should be as follows:

For a universal Ku LNBF, L.O. 9750/10600, DiSEqC off (if you don't have a switch in the line), 22k will default to on since the LNBF is universal and uses a 22k switch inside.

For a standard Ku LNBF, L.O. 10750, DiSEqC off, 22k off.

Not sure, but I think the extreme is a standard. Again, I'm not sure about that.

The elevation markings on many dishes (including some Winegards) can be off by several degrees, so you may want to tweak the dish by moving it a little up or down to see if you get signal. Also, try to slowly move your azimuth (east-west orientation) of the dish slowly, panning the dish right and left. Often a compass will not give you accurate results. The key is very SLOW movements of the dish when you are trying to find a signal.

The elevation markings on many dishes (including some Winegards) can be off by several degrees, so you may want to tweak the dish by moving it a little up or down to see if you get signal. Also, try to slowly move your azimuth (east-west orientation) of the dish slowly, panning the dish right and left. Often a compass will not give you accurate results. The key is very SLOW movements of the dish when you are trying to find a signal.

Your right about the elevation markings on some dishes. What I did on my G-10 dish was use a yardstick and an inclinometer, running it from the bottom lip of the dish to the top of the lnbf to get my angle and took the reading from there on the inclinometer (this simulated the offset angle). That got me right in the ball park. :)

Awesome,I'll try that tomorrow ( I'm desperate to get this going I'd do it know but can't find a flash light!!! LOL) Thanks!

Take a Tv out by the dish and put your meter on the screen. When you make adjustments make them very slow waiting for a bit for the quality meter to catch up. Then proceed from there. When your doing well tune through the peak and spit the difference so your right in the middle of the box.:)

Take a closer look at the alignment marks on your Extreme LNBF.
The F connector does NOT point straight down for a due south satellite.
Everywhere else needs to be re-calibrated once you start with a zero
reference at due south, starting with the proper alignment mark.

Well I must have one of those dishes then 'cause my elevation is 32 degrees and I'm not getting anything from g10 yet!!! However I got board after an hour of trying to find it so ( I have a short attention span !) I started playing w/ the LNB settings and I found that I can get Echostar 9 @ 121 W??? Does this mean I'm close? I would think I could bump my dish about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch more west and drop the elevation about the same and I should be on G10! Right?

Answer this for me. I'm worried that maybe my dish is still too small or am I just paranoid that my wife will KILL me if I tell her I have to buy yet another Bigger dish? Maybe I'm just not as patient as I thought I was ????? Still no G10 guys. I wounder if it needs to be up on the roof? ( Something I was trying to avoid )

If you're on Dish 121 (I assume you saw the test card that says "you're on 121") then maybe 1/16" to the west

try a blind scan to see what channels pop up :)

A 30" dish is kinda small for the solid performance on the 11720 equity channels but you should get the Research channel and the stronger equity mux.

What I would do is set your lnbf skew, azimuth and elevation for a static point for your area. Then start again looking for G-10. It can be found. I found G-10 on my 81 cm kinda fast but I made sure I had my static azimuth, elevation and lnbf skew were very accurate to start with. You have to get a feel for how you quality meter responds on your receiver. I know on my Pansat when I'm just starting to get something it jumps from nothing to 99 real fast. That gives me an indication that I'm on the right track. You can't get frustrated or you'll never find it. When I don't seem like Im getting any where. I check and reset my static points and start again.

Keep on truckin you'll get it :)

Hi hubba,

Ya, your telling me! I just moved the dish upto my roof and within a few minuets I locked on to a super strong signal I thought it was G10 but it turns out it was 121 W AGAIN! Any way I have to work tomorrow so after 2 more hours into it Im giving up for now. Hey I wanted to share this google site I found which I think will be a huge bonus to anyone setting up. It's
http://www.dishpointer.com/

Hope it helps some one, Well thats all for now I'll take another crack at it Saturday evening...thanks all!

If you're on Dish 121 (I assume you saw the test card that says "you're on 121") then maybe 1/16" to the west

try a blind scan to see what channels pop up :)
Ya I did see that , I tried a blind scan and I got 30 or so scrambled signals and one in the clear which said "congratulations you have a dish pro or something on 121W." I moved the dish around some more and did another blind scan and found nothing new? I stumbled upon this google site below which I think will help but I gotta give up for now and try again tomorrow.

Reading some of your posts you seem to be a "dish aiming master" I'm bowing now lol....do you in your infinite wisdom think that this 30inch dish is to small for g10 from zip 48152? any help would be super appreciated. thanks

Reading some of your posts you seem to be a "dish aiming master" I'm bowing now lol....do you in your infinite wisdom think that this 30inch dish is to small for g10 from zip 48152? any help would be super appreciated. thanks

nah. I'm in Minneapolis and a 30" dish works just fine for G10.

You may have to drop the elevation on the dish a smidge...I know the difference between 121 & 123 here is 1/2 a degree or so and that can make a difference :)

Take a closer look at the alignment marks on your Extreme LNBF.
The F connector does NOT point straight down for a due south satellite.
Everywhere else needs to be re-calibrated once you start with a zero
reference at due south, starting with the proper alignment mark.
Ok, so my skew is 34.9 which if I right means it 34.9 degrees counter clock wise correct? If it's not skewed right say its at 30 degrees would that make much of a difference? The problem I'm having today is I can't get the signal strenght over 40% and the signal quality has never been over 11%!!!! Maybe for S&G I should try a stronger bird? Maybe 87W?

What do you mean "static location" Do you mean set the lnbf to Zero?

Only if that is the skew for your area. There are azimuth, elevation and skew settings for your zip code, start from there. Best to use an inclinometer for your elevation. As others have pointed out the scale on some dishes are off. Don't forget to compensate for the approx 22 degree offset angle. Use a compass for azimuth.

I have a program that can give me exact information but am not on that computer now.

Try this link it should help.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm

Ok, so my skew is 34.9 which if I right means it 34.9 degrees counter clock wise correct? If it's not skewed right say its at 30 degrees would that make much of a difference? The problem I'm having today is I can't get the signal strenght over 40% and the signal quality has never been over 11%!!!! Maybe for S&G I should try a stronger bird? Maybe 87W?

I get quality as high as 76 on my 81 cm on the Equity muxes. Research gives me in the 90's You should be able to at least get 50 on Equity on a 30" I think that is a 76 cm. Keep tuning :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)