Really simple question????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harrysjr

Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Hi all. I have a Topfield receiver with a 36" dish pointed at AMC4(I actually have 2 Topfield receivers hooked up). I've read that AMC4 has several other channels available besides 3ABN, but I've attempted several times to edit the SAT/TP edit menu. I've gone to this page, http://www.lyngsat.com/101west.html and put in the freq/pol and SR, but as soon as I do, my signal quality goes to zip. What am I doing wrong? If I put in one of the TP's I know I can get, it pops right up.

Last edited:
Do the TPs you can receive correspond to the proper freqs in Lyngsat or are they off a few mhz? If they are off, your LNB may have drifted off frequency. Try a blind scan, if available, and see what freqs are received. Are you receiving both polarities or just one? I'd just have one receiver hooked up first until its working then connect the second. Have fun.

Make sure to scan all as the Hope Network shows as scrambled but isn’t. Otherwise 3ABN is very strong an the others aren’t as strong. If the dish isn’t aimed correctly you may get 3ABN but not the rest

Thanks for the answers. I'm getting all the channels that the receiver was set up for. Hope, LLBN, 3ABN and Esperanza. These are on 11822/5700H, 11983/5900H and 12020/2034H. If I put any other channel info in, I don't get any signal quality, either hor or vert polarity. They all come in at 99%. I suppose I could reset the receiver to factory defaults and go from there, but it shouldn't be that hard?

Ok, I've done some more checking, and I've found I can get the 3 mentioned freq/Pol listed and an additional 11860H 28138, 12060H 26700 and 12169H 3003. That's it. Do I need to tweek the aiming of the dish to get the rest? I'm at a loss here.

See the PDF of the TP's I get on a Fortec Lifetime Classic NA. I scanned in ALL not FTA.
Bob

Attachments

• AMC 4.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 237
It looks like you're not receiving any vertical signals. Check in your receiver's menu to make sure you have the correct type of LNB selected. A lot of those channels in the lyngsat's list are Direct TV and DCII signals. Your unit won't pick those channels up because of a different encryption pattern. I hope you weren't trying to get those channels. A better list of what you can receive is put out by Global Communications at the URL below. Have fun.

http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

That's a C-band frequency, you will need a C-band lnb and at least a 6' dish for reliable reception. Frequencies with 4 digits are C-band and frequencies with 5 digits are ku-band.

Al

Well, that explains that. Thanks for that bit of info. I had no idee! I was also able to pick up almost all of the freq's listed in Wescopc's list. Not much there I'm afraid. Thanks for your help.

It looks like you're not receiving any vertical signals. Check in your receiver's menu to make sure you have the correct type of LNB selected. A lot of those channels in the lyngsat's list are Direct TV and DCII signals. Your unit won't pick those channels up because of a different encryption pattern. I hope you weren't trying to get those channels. A better list of what you can receive is put out by Global Communications at the URL below. Have fun.

http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

Your receiver can receive a DVB signal no matter what kind of encryption is used. Now when it comes to viewing it, that's a different story. Now if you try to tune a different modulation scheme such as DCII then no, you won't be able to receive the signal.

You are right. I stand corrected. I think I was trying to discuss the "encoding" to a standardized or non-standardized MPEG2 format and the receiver's capabilities. I forgot to engage my brain before putting my fingers in gear. I beg the forgiveness of the satellite dish gods. Have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts